iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need sugestions for cooking roasts on the grill

Started by T Red, May 13, 2010, 07:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Red

With a steer at the slaughter house we need to clean out the freezer.  I have an abundance of roasts, about 2 lbs each.  I was thinking of putting 5 or so on the grill and slow cooking them.  Maybe beef BBQ for a dozen friends.  I do not have a smoker but would like to try that some time, just not this one.  The DW has already invited friends over for Saturday so I have to move quick.  I'm looking for suggestions on maybe a dry rub or baste.  Also cook time, I want to cook at a low temperature say 225 just not sure on the time.  I may fabricate a pan for the grill to put some wood chips in to add a little flavor.

All suggestions welcome.  I thought this would be an excellent forum to get suggestions from since every topic eventually turns to food. ;D

Tim
Tim

zopi

Gotta weber kettle grill?  take the grill out of it, get a 55 gallon barrel with a lid, about 1/3 of the way down the barrel install three bolts spaced 120 degrees apart..poke a few holes in the top, cut a 2" hole in the side of the barrel about 8" from the bottom, build a nice charcoal fire in the bottom, maybe in a steel bucket or whatever...set the grill on the bolts..add roast and cook...use a long thermometer through the top holes and something to part cover the 2" hole in the side to throttle the air...easy smoker.

or...sear the roast on the grill..and I mean get a little char going, then put the roast in the pressure cooker...makes great stew, posole, chili, or borscht..<G>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

You can get one of those battery operated digital temperature probes that you can set to alert you when the food has reached the target temperature.  This allows you to cook the meat perfectly with no guesswork.  Some might consider that cheating, but it sure is handy when smoking a turkey or a pork loin.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

oh heck no...ya get the wirelesss remote digital thermometers...then ya kin sit in the easy chair instead of hovering around the smoker as much...<G>

Cheating...nah. 
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bd354

Here's a pretty good dry rub. Lots of them on this site.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emerils-southwest-dry-rub-recipe/index.html

When I'm in a hurry and don't have the ingrediants I use a store bought one called butt rub ;D. Most stores around here carry it.

As far as cooking time I use a digital meat probe as WDH suggested. It's the only way I can get the meat to the right temp without over cooking. Mine doesn't have the alarm but it sure makes cooking a lot easier. I think it was 14 bucks at wallyworld. Good luck

CHARLIE

Here's what I do to a Chuck Roast, but it will work with any roast.

1. I put a Dry Rub on the roast.
2. I soak some hardwood chips, usually hickory or cherry but oak works too, in hot water for about 20 minutes.  Pour off the water and put the chips into a metal pan.
3. Fire up the gas grill on high. Both burners and close the lid.
4. when the grill gets real hot, put the chips over the right burner and turn off the left burner and close the lid.
5.  When the chips start smoking, put the roast over the left burner that is turned off (off the heat), shut the lid and turn the right burner down so the temp is a medium heat.
6. Maintain the medium heat until the roast is medium rare (I use a meat thermometer)
7. Take the meat off the grill and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

jdtuttle

Here's one I do with prime rib that's good for any roast. one package of dry onion soup mix, 2 cans of beer. Put the roast in a foil pan add the onion soup mix, one can of beer and water. Cover with foil to start & remove about half way through. I turn my grill on to about 400 deg.  Oh, the other beer is to drink while your cooking. It's hard work :D
jim
Have a great day

Norm

I take the roast and do a sear on the grill. If you have a dutch oven put it in that with a couple of cans of low sodium beef broth, cut up carrots, onions and celery. Fill to almost covering the roast with water add ground pepper and a couple of bay leaves. Cover the pot with the lid and cook at 225°-250° for 3-4 hours. If you don't have a dutch oven a heavy duty aluminum roasting pan will work.

Take it out and pull the beef into shreds and mix with a good bbbq sauce to use for sandwiches.

scgargoyle

For a decent cut of meat, I slow cook it at 225 until it gets up to 125 internal temperature. I wrap it in foil while I crank up a hot fire. I throw it on the hot fire for about ten minutes to get a good sear. I do mine on a barrel smoker like zopi described. I used to do them on my Weber kettle by putting a drip pan under the meat, with the coals banked on either side with a few chunks of wood thrown in. If you're lucky and get a lot of drippings, make a gravy with some added water and flour.

For brisket, I just smoke it and smoke it and smoke it, then smoke it some more until it's tender. It can take up to 20 hours for a big piece.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

T Red

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Zopi I plan to make one of those.  If I'd a known it was that simple I'd a done it earlier in the week. 

I also plan to get one of those wireless probes.  Never seen one before.  I can definitely use one with the alarm when cooking pork shoulders overnight. 

JD two cans of beer don't sound like enough for your plan.   ;D

Charlie I think I'm going to try your method since I don't have a smoker yet. 

Tim
Tim

WDH

I use a large Weber kettle grill and bank the coals all banked on one side.  Some foil in the bottom catches the drippings.  Put the meat all the way on the other side from the coals.  This is how I cook turkey, and it is so moist you will not believe it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scgargoyle

If you want to build a barrel smoker, google 'UDS'. There's a thread on the BBQ Brethren that's almost 400 pages, and 6,000 replies! I don't know if it's kosher to post a link. I made mine out of a stainless steel drum; they're great if you can find one. Best smoker I've ever used- it stays rock steady at 225 all day, and it can burn up to 20 hours without re-fueling if you light it just right.

Norm

UDS' are one of the sweetest homemade cookers ever invented. They are really more than a smoker, more like a good slow cooker in my opinion.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

Here's a link to the UDS build on the site, I gain 5#'s every time I go over there. :D

scgargoyle

I built mine so that I can raise the charcoal basket right up under the cooking grate so it doubles as a grill. Since my back yard is smaller than some folks kitchens, I needed a cooker that could do everything!

zopi

Quote from: T Red on May 14, 2010, 08:48:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. 

Zopi I plan to make one of those.  If I'd a known it was that simple I'd a done it earlier in the week. 

I also plan to get one of those wireless probes.  Never seen one before.  I can definitely use one with the alarm when cooking pork shoulders overnight. 

JD two cans of beer don't sound like enough for your plan.   ;D

Charlie I think I'm going to try your method since I don't have a smoker yet. 

Tim

Just Google "ugly drum smoker"  All sorts of stuff pops up..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

T Red

I did just that.  I'm on information overload.

One question though, how do you know how much charcoal to put in it?  I see you only load it once.

Tim

woodsteach

Curse you Norm  ;) ;) ;)   for the link to the brethern forum!!

I get into enough trouble for being on this forum and now you show me that there are MORE forums!!!!! :D shesh

I have now constructed a UDS and will burn it out tomorrow at school, the kids are stoked and can't wait to try it out on the last day of school (next tuesday) we'll see if I wait that long to use it.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

scgargoyle

I made my charcoal basket from a 4' long piece of expanded metal, wrapped in a circle. It came out about 15-1/2" in diameter. The bottom grate is 3" off the bottom of the hoop for air flow, and the basket is 6" tall above the grate. I put in about 5" of charcoal in a 15-1/2" diameter, so- how ever much charcoal that is! I put in 2 sets of U-bolts to hold the cooking grates, and my charcoal basket has brackets that line up with the U-bolts, so I can suspend the basket right under the grill for direct grilling of things like steak and burgers. When I smoke, I simple lower the basket to the bottom. I lucked into some stainless steel drums locally, so I have a 'life-time' smoker! Here's my smoker build thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70676

Norm

Nice UDS!

Woodsteach blame it on scgargoyle, he's the one that showed me about it. :)

T Red

scgargoyle

UDS is not a very good description for that smoker.  It's not ugly enough. 

Any idea's on where I could find a stainless steel drum like that.  What was it used for?

Thanks,
Tim
Tim

woodsteach

Great UDS Scgargoyle,  so Norm says you are to blame ;D ;D  thanks that site will become bookmark #2

T Red, at the bbq site it says he got it on CL and it was used to ship lemon extract from Italy???? don't you folks grow lemons in Flordia??? why ship it from italy?

woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!