iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle saw blade

Started by Ralph_C, May 13, 2010, 03:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph_C

I have a 50 in. saw blade.  I thought the pattern was a no. 3 so I  bought teeth and a couple of shanks.  It turns out to be a 4 x 8 Rhodes pattern.  Has anyone heard of this pattern? 

bandmiller2

Ralph,I've never heard of the Rhodes pattern,it must be an old saw there were many styles tried when they transitioned from solid tooth to insert.A diston 33 is very close to #3 pattern, diston shanks and bits are long gone and very hard to find.Probibly the best thing would be take it to a sawsmith and see if he can recognize the pattern.Sorry I can't be of more help.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodpeckerlips

I've got #33, #3, B/F , and 2 1/2" saws and bits. I've been around, what I think, is quite a bit.  I've never seen or heard of a 4x8.  I'd call and talk to albright saw or piper's.  Talk to one of the old timers there.  If they ever made it and its possible to get it, they have all the contacts and resources to locate it for you. 

Ralph_C

I went back and checked the shanks.  I was wrong about the mfg.  It is R. Hoe co.  It is 4X8.

bandmiller2

Ralph,we've gained some ground Hoe was anouther saw, bit and shank manuf.bought out by simonds and eliminated.4x8 is still strange are you sure its not 44x8 the 8 being the gauge of the shank and 44 the style.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Woodpeckerlips,what brand of saw do you use the #33 bits and shanks in??Frank C.

Ron Wenrich

#33 was on the old Disston saws.  There could be a 4 pattern.  Lindstrum lists a pattern 4 1/2 in his book.  It is something akin to a D pattern.  Those bigger pattern saws are designed for bigger logs. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Thanks Ron 33's are what I have in my Diston very close in appearance to #3 pattern.I think Diston made a 44 pattern and their smaller than the 33 I have an old saw but the shanks are rusted pretty bad hard to read.Frank C.

woodpeckerlips

Bm2. My #33 is a diston. Its in the saw shed. I ran it in march. It seemed to want to lay over. I think the teeth where probably dull on the log side.  Put it back in the shed to keep, just so I can say I have one. I collect old disston hand saws. Old planes and such. Anytime someone thinks they have one up on me, I have to show them my 48" diston blade!  He he

bandmiller2

WPL,the saw I have on the mill now is a 48" Diston with new shanks and bits,I've got anouther change of bits when their used up I'll have to retire the old girl.Had it hammered, smith said the plate is softer than modern saws won't hold tension as long,but it cuts good @600 RPM.Frank C.

woodpeckerlips

Bm2,  that sounds about right! I noticed the saw had different characteristics in just a short time running it. Sawing in some heavy oak mine wanted to lay over every once in a while. Checked the lead, looked over the log side of the teeth. No obvious problem. Didn't lay over all the time either. But when it decided to, man she'd lay over like scary.  Like whoa! Back up and go real slow and let it eat straight and then ease her on threw. Short of it is, all my other saws will bind and I can feel it in the carriage handle when the saw is trying to walk out of the log even a little. The diston saw doesn't put up any fight and if you kept going and she'd stay together, I believe it would cut a arch in the log. I think me and that saw are safer with it being in the shed!!!!!   

Thank You Sponsors!