iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally Got My Sawmill (long, sorry)

Started by tdelorme, May 13, 2010, 08:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdelorme

Back in 2005 I joined the Forestry Forum thinking that "my" Woodmizer would show up for sale close by and I would join the ranks of sawyers here on the FF.  It just never happened.  We even went over to Mississippi for the Woodmizer traveling show a few years back but still the right saw never showed up.  I got to know a local sawyer and he would cut whatever lumber I needed for next to nothing if I brought him a few extra logs, so in my mind I think I had given up on ever owning my own mill.
January of this year, I was diagnosed with cancer and we have been making a trip to Houston every three weeks for my treatments.  On the way to Houston, we drive by Log-Master Sawmill mfg. at , Nachodoches TX.  On one of the early trips my wife saw the Log-Master plant and started asking why I had never gone ahead and bought a sawmill. I explained my reasoning and for awhile she let it go. Then, back in early April she starts in with "I think you will get well faster if one of those sawmills is sitting out by the barn waiting for you." I've never been one to argue with the wife when she is right. The mill was finished in time for us to pick it up at the Texas Forstery Association get together in Lufkin, TX. Saturday May 8. The Log-Master folks did a great job of training my two sons and several others in setting up the mill and cutting up a few logs. This weekend I hope to get out there and make a huge pile of sawdust. I'll post a few pictures if I cut something worth sharing.
So, my Woodmizer turned out to be a Log-Master and I may be the only LM owner on the forum.  I added a few things to their basic saw but was still out the door at under ten grand.  30Hp Kohler, 20'6" length capacity and 30" max. dia. I'm working on getting the pictures posted, no luck so far 
--Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/lm2.jpg[/img][img width=500 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/lm1.jpg[/img]http://[/img]

fishpharmer

tdelorme, that's a wonderful story. Except for the cancer part, I will pray for you and your family.  You have a wonderful wife.  I have seen a couple Logmaster mills up close.  They look very well built and heavy.  There are a few other Logmaster owners on the forum.  I'm just glad you have your own mill now.

That first log or two are worth sharing even if its sweetgum, we want to see it.

Have fun and get well 8) 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Well, look  :o  at you go !!!  First, and most important, my prayers are with you during your treatments and recovery.  Congratulations on having a very smart wife.  Sawmilling is very satisfying and rewarding.  It provides mental as well as physical therapy.

Again, welcome to the "sawmill owners club"...... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I've always liked the looks of those Logmaster mills, look to be built well and nice and simple. Which model did you end up with? Good to have 2 sons to take those boards off and maybe let them run it once in a while. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Our prayers are with you and your family!

Glad to hear that you now own a sawmill, and you have sons that have taken an interest.
I haven't heard of Log-Master mills before now.
But there must be a bunch of them out there.
Good luck to you on your recovery and with the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

Good luck on you illness..... especially now that you have a sawmill. The sawdust will get in your veins, you will not be able to stop,You have joined the club, now we need some pics of you and the mill.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

captain_crunch

tdelorme
Good luck with mill and hope you got illness under control. Till you figure pics out you can email them to me at babjfoster@ msn.com and I can post em for you. Just mention sawmill in heading so my cencorship dept don,t delete em
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Norm

We have at least one other member who has one. It's tcsmpsi.

Congratulations on the new mill.  :)

Jeff

Actually, I think we have several Logmaster owners on the forum. I searched the forum and found more then I thought.  :)

tdelorme, there is a link to help posting photos under the help button, and almost anyone will help you through the process if you need a hand.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

gator gar

I took a drive up to Nachogdoches and walked through his facility and was pretty impressed by his machines. Those rascals are built like tanks. But, I'm a woodmizer man, thru and thru. I'm not knocking them one bit, I just chose to go with the Orange, instead of the yellow and black. I hope it serves you well.

rph816

Sounds like you are in good hands (Houston is the best and a wife that wants you to buy a sawmill is certainly a keeper).  Best of luck with all of it.  You are in for some good times with the mill.  Looking forward to pictures.

Ryan

r.man

Tdelorme, your post was not long at all. My family takes that long to tell you what the weather is like. I have always thought that surviving any challenge is mostly attitude and it sounds as if you and your wife have a good one. Congratulations on making the plunge with the saw and I hope your treatment goes well. There are generally good support groups in most places for cancer patients in all stages of treatment. My father belonged to numerous ones for many years. He really enjoyed the company of people who understood the process first hand. Like talking with sawmill people they just get you. Something to consider. Ask your wife, she sounds smarter than most of us. Good luck.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Woodwalker

The cancer is curable, the sawdust bug is not. That said, there are several Log-masters on here, you won't be disappointed with the purchase. Yeah, I got one and if I get another it will be made in Nachodoches also.
Did you get to see the "little one" they were building? Last time I stopped by there a few months ago they were building a special order mill with a throat you could drive most SUV's through.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

gator gar

Quote from: Woodwalker on May 13, 2010, 06:22:40 PM
Did you get to see the "little one" they were building? Last time I stopped by there a few months ago they were building a special order mill with a throat you could drive most SUV's through.

I saw the head attachment that was to be put on the mill. Some guy was having it special made to cut one piece table tops for the corporate world. I think it had like a 60 inch throat, maybe bigger.

jdrum

i  had cancer 18 yrs ago, positive mental attitude, and the smell of sawdust, will help get you through. sounds like you got good help. best to you in the future.

jim

Jeff

I talked to Herman today and he was telling me about that great big mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Tdelorme, I had been wondering why you had quit posting, but I guess Cancer is a pretty fair excuse, so I'll let ya slide this time. ;)  Of course, you know that my thoughts and prayers will be with you from now on.  That Houston clinic is among the best, from what I hear, so you're in good hands.

I'm just blown away by the thoughtfulness and insight of your Darling Bride!  What a wonderful thing it is when one partner can see the needs and wants of the other! :) :) :)

Everyone I know of who has owned a Logmaster mill has been pleased with it.  I hope to see one of them someday.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customdave

Your neigbhors to the north will be praying for your speedy recover as well, God has blessed you already with a wife like you have. Have fun with the new mill & play safe.. God Bless!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

captain_crunch

Ifn I can pull it off here are his pics

Still looking in space for the other one so bear with me
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

captain_crunch

Found it finally

Here you go now tell us about it
Brian

thecfarm

tderlorme,that will cut some lumber with that 30hp motor. Nothing like having your own saw to play with.Good luck with that cancer thing. I will be praying for you too. Don't work them boys to hard.  ;D  Keep trying on that picture thing.Took me a few times to get it and help from the members on here. We like stories and pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KyTreeFarmer

Good things come to those who keep their faith. Good looking mill and good luck with your treatments. Will remember you in my prayers also.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Wintergreen Mountain

tderlorme
Congratulations on the new mill. Looks like a nice set up. Leon.
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

ljmathias

tderlorme: welcome again (for the upteenth time- we do greet well, and you'll find we mean it as well).  So happy to see you got a mill- least now you can do happy stuff while you fight the cancer.  Had my prostate out last January- cancer was caught early and hadn't spread (no signs yet, anyway) and that stuff sure puts life into perspective.  My brother just had heart surgery in Iowa- got back barely on Friday night- and that also puts life into perspective.  I'm re-aligning my interests and activities now- more gentle family stuff (I tend to be brash and grumpy even when it's for their own good   >:(  ) and more and better stewardship of what I've been blessed with: it's pay back time for all that I've received and have to cherish each day.

Guess that's a point I'm trying to make: you might want to think about using the saw to help others.  Doesn't always have to be for free, and not suggesting that you just give away your time and products, but I love the saying they have on a banner at the YMCA we used to belong to: You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!