iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Battery

Started by Magicman, May 12, 2010, 09:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Well after 34 months, I guess that I got my money's worth.  They gave me a $17.50 warranty credit.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

For the service its seen,you've got fair value.Is that considered a deep cycle battery??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sgschwend

Good picture, but you need to connect those lead colored little horse shoe shaped things, to those fat round posts on top, for the battery to work.

It may be important which wire goes where, not sure about that, so if you make these connections and things run backwards just turn the battery around.

I had a pick-up once that had the battery in backwards, ran great!!  Best truck I ever had.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Magicman

Quote from: sgschwend on May 12, 2010, 09:38:03 PM
Good picture, but you need to connect those lead colored little horse shoe shaped things, to those fat round posts on top, for the battery to work.  

:D :D :D  Yup, that was the old one coming out.  I put the digital VOM on the alternator, and it read 14.52 volts.  $20 per year is pretty good service.  Good thing about this setup is that it is impossible to reverse the polarity.... ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Quote from: sgschwend on May 12, 2010, 09:38:03 PM
I had a pick-up once that had the battery in backwards, ran great!!  Best truck I ever had.

There were some vehicles made with a "positive ground" system, where the positive terminal was the one wired to the chassis.  It really doesn't matter, as long as everything is wired accordingly.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DouginUtah

I had an Austin-Healey sprite back in the '60s. I'll always remember written there on the speedometer were the words - Positive Earth.  :D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Magicman

Seems like I remember that our old "49 Chevy had positive ground.  I do know that I replaced the battery backwards and Dad made me turn it around.  Made the "genny gauge" read the wrong way.  That battery was under a panel under the passenger's floorboard.  Of course the starter was just to the right of the accelerator...... ;D

Gotta be "mature" to remember stuff like that..... smiley_confused

trapper

my international 300 tractor is 6 volt negative ground. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Slabs

My Dad had a Long/Leyland tractor and installed a new battery and wondered why the battery was discharged while driving from the tractor shed to the house where I was working on something else.  My "turning the battery around" really freaked him.  There was a plackard on the instrument panel (Smith gauges) somewhere between the cigarette lighter and the horn button that said "This vehicle is wired Positive earth"  I like to try to mimic a brit accent when I quote that one.

Oh yeah, it also had a license plate bracket.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

bandmiller2

What they told us in the navy is if you hook the battery up backwards your lights will cast shadows,your horn will $uck,and the radio will listen to you.The old stuff reversing polatity only affected the charging circuit,new stuff with puters your in deep do do. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Speaking of batteries,back when I was gainfully employed had a $700.00 battery tester slickest thing since clean underwear, hook it up and it would tell you everything about the bat.Used to go over to the town recycling area and test discarded batteries about 25% were good just needed a good recharge.Frank C.

Magicman

Yup, a bad alternator has caused many batteries to be replaced.  That's why I got the old "digital" out and tested mine.  I know that the WM "idles" high enough to maintain the charging voltage.  I was surprised to see that mine was 14.52-14.51 volts idling or running.  No difference.

shinnlinger

my '52 GMC is positive ground,  I pulled it out of a field but noted it had been converted to 12 volts at some point so I just dropped a new (to the truck) battery and brought the truck back to life.  Things were great until I noticed the ammeter was discharging as I was driving around like Slab's dad.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Remember before 12 volt systems were the normal, we could buy 8 volt batteries and use them in place of the 6 volt.  They would kick the starter over faster.  Made the headlights brighter also. smiley_idea

Slabs

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 16, 2010, 01:25:30 AM
my '52 GMC is positive ground,  I pulled it out of a field but noted it had been converted to 12 volts at some point so I just dropped a new (to the truck) battery and brought the truck back to life.  Things were great until I noticed the ammeter was discharging as I was driving around like Slab's dad.

If it was "converted" to 12 volts it was probably retrofitted with an alternator which is negative ground.  If so, just reverse the leads on the back of the ammeter and the needle will point in the right direction.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on May 16, 2010, 02:48:40 PM
Remember before 12 volt systems were the normal, we could buy 8 volt batteries and use them in place of the 6 volt.  They would kick the starter over faster.  Made the headlights brighter also. smiley_idea
MM, you can still get 8 volt batteries. Golf carts use 6 of them to run 48 volt electrics.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Its pretty much standard procedure if I get an old tractor thats 6v to change over to 12v with an alternator.12v won't hurt the starter so long as you don't engauge it too long, amperage=heat is what kills starters.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!