iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decked fir in forest- Longevity?

Started by Matt_Ridgeway, October 22, 2003, 10:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt_Ridgeway

I have an old growth fir forest in Montana (@25 acres) at @ 6500ft. I own a Woodmizer LT40 bandsaw and have been slowly thinning for health and selling the product locally. I am considering having a logger come in to thin and deck the bigger trees in the forest by a road I busted in last year. If I coat the butts of these trees, how long can they sit decked before they start rotting? We are in a very dry cimate and these trees are all old growth. (a 12" DBH at 4' was 112 yrs age). I don't want to jeapordize the value but also want the logs accessible when I need them. Any ideas?

Texas Ranger

Treat the ends and they should be good for a few years.  The biggest worry would be the drying of the logs and consequent splits and checks.  Your winter weather will draw water out of a stone.  Best bet is cut enough for one years work, and no more.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Would Sprinkling the log pile with water during the warm months be an option up there the same as it is down down South?  

What is the chance of insect infestation and stain up there?

Ron Scott

Matt,

Where are you located in Bozerman, Montana? I was just out there for a few days in September. Beautiful weather. Did a float trip down the Yellowstone south of Livingston.
~Ron

Matt_Ridgeway

Hi Ron, I'm between Bozeman and Livingston on the Bozeman Pass. The Gallatin forest side of the interstate. Can't beet the Yellowstone!

Ron Scott

My son Todd moved down from Whitefish and is now living in Bozeman while attending school there at Montana State.
He's been a white water and fishing guide in Montana and Alaska for the past 10 years.

He was guiding on the Yellowstone, Madison, Galatin, etc this past summer working for Dan Reddick Outfitter in Belgrade and the 320 Lodge.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!