iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Response to Dictionary needed......

Started by Jeff, May 09, 2010, 08:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A few days ago there was a thread started here
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,43809.0.html

It asked about a place to find definitions of terms seen on the Forestry Forum.  That's something I had been thinking about addressing for a long time but had put on the back burner. Inspired by the thread, I set at creating something that could fulfill that request and the general need as I saw it.  I know some people, especially newer members just don't like to ask about things publicly that they feel may be elementary, but you have to learn somewhere, so why not here? :)

Anyhow, I have created what I've decided to dub the "Forestry Forum Woodopedia"   Stupid name eh? :D

You can find the link to it under the Forum Extras Tab, or you can click the link below.
THIS IS THE LINK BELOW ;D

I encourage anyone that has a word or term that they would like to see added to the Woodopedia to submit it to the forum for consideration. You can do that in this thread if you like via the "Suggest a term" link towards the bottom of any Woodopedia page.  I just ask that you search the Woodopedia first to make sure the term is not already there.  Stacy and I just spent 3 days of Heavy Data entry to the new database, so there is a good chance that a term may be in there.

The Database Entries have 3 main fields. The Term. The Definition. A Comment Section.  The Comment section is intended to add remarks or add additional information to a term where it might be required and can be simple or elaborate.  An Example of additional comments can be found on the yooper definition.

The Woodopedia is searchable by term, or by a click, searchable by definition. Terms can also be listed alphabetically.

Anyhow, I hope you find this useful as a tool for yourself and as a way for you to help new members.   :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Looks nice.
I'm sure it will come in handy.
Thank you both for your efforts in putting it together.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR_Buck

Jeff,

This is great!    You guys have done an incredable job.    I recommend the dictionary have it's own button at the top of each page.  possible next to the 'Help" button.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

I've been contemplating on that.  :)     

This is in its infancy, and I'm still trying to refine it. I think another thing needed is a suggest a term button within the dictionary for submission of ideas.

MFinity

Wow this is great - I love dictionaries   :P :P :P :P
I've bookmarked it  ;D

Thanks Jeff!

whiskers

A fine job indeed. Now that the product is built the wags can begin the modifications. Thanks for all the hard work.
many irons in the fire.........

Shotgun

Very impressive!!!  Thanks Jeff and Stacy.  This will probably be bringing more folks to the FF, just for the definitions.    8)  Wondering where you got all the def's that you have entered already.  Where ever, it's a mighty fine piece of work.  Typical Jeff, I might add.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

MFinity

Here's a site that may be of interest - lots of topics here.

Glossarist.com: a searchable directory of glossaries and topical dictionaries.
http://www.glossarist.com/
Forestry and related subjects here: http://www.glossarist.com/glossaries/business/primary-industry/forestry.asp

This could be dangerous. If I get started on dictionaries and references I might not surface again for awhile  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Jeff

I see that almost every forestry one I clicked on was a not found.  :-\  Hopefully ours will never be that way. Its so typical of stuff on the net. Here today, gone tomorrow.  That's why I've always been so adamant about having our content here, and not linking to it somewhere else. :)

MFinity

Quote from: Jeff on May 09, 2010, 11:46:19 AM
I see that almost every forestry one I clicked on was a not found.  :-\  Hopefully ours will never be that way. Its so typical of stuff on the net. Here today, gone tomorrow.  That's why I've always been so adamant about having our content here, and not linking to it somewhere else. :)

I deleted my post. Should have checked those out again before I posted it.
Sheesh I know better than that  ::) *grumble*

Jeff

No, thats not what I meant. Your post was fine. I was just remarking about thats one of the reasons I saw the need to have a glossary here. :)   I'm putting your post back. ;) :D

D Hagens

WOW! 8) 8) 8) 8) That is impressive and detailed! Excellent job Jeff! :) :) 8)

SwampDonkey

A fine job, that's a lot of typing already.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Holmes

That is very well done. Thank you to all that worked on it. Now I know what grits is. Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Magicman

On the suggest a term link, I get an error and am denied access.  The word that I wanted to add was "parbuckle".....same as "crosshaul".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

The contact form is rather new as well and probably needed permissions tweaked. See if you can submit with it now please. :)

MFinity

Quote from: Jeff on May 09, 2010, 04:03:59 PM
The contact form is rather new as well and probably needed permissions tweaked. See if you can submit with it now please. :)
Okay :)  Is it workin?  ???

DR_Buck

Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2010, 03:56:49 PM
On the suggest a term link, I get an error and am denied access.  The word that I wanted to add was "parbuckle".....same as "crosshaul".

Isn't "parbuckle" redneck for 2 belt buckles?   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

I got it.  Said this is a test message. :)

SwampDonkey

I sent ya a word for consideration/deliberation.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Umm... It would help if your definition did not include only words that have to be looked up as well... :D  Give me a layman's definition!

SwampDonkey

How's this?  ;D

pulvinus - an enlarged area at the base of a leaf stem or needle producing movement by growth or swelling.

Copy and paste that because I had a grammatical error to. ;D

Guess I thought too much of ya. :D :D

Keep your petioles and petiolules to yourself. ;)

Jeff

I added it, but I still don't understand it. :-\   Need an example to add. ;D

tonich

Jeff,
I have gathered a bunch of forestry terms and expressions through the years in a custom dictionary. Let me know if they could be of any interest for your project! All you/someone have/has to do is to add definitions to to the desired ones.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!