iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.050 bands on 19" Wheels

Started by Meadows Miller, May 08, 2010, 07:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

just thought id throw this out there to see what other peoples experiances have been  ??? ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Warren

MM,

WM LT40 SHD, 42 hp Kubota, 19" band wheels, B57 belts, only run 0.055" x 1.25" WM blades, 4 deg and 10 deg.  Only issue I have had with the 0.055" blades, when I resharpened them myself, I had to go around 2 or 3 times to get deep enough in the gullet to prevent blade breaks.

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

bandmiller2

Chris, thats a good question I run .045 x 1 1/2 on 19" wheels tight belt and get very long life I don't keep accurate records but the bands seem to last forever.I seldom have one break on the mill I catch small cracks when i'am sharpening.Smaller bandwheels breaking bands I believe is over stated I think running them too tight,running them dull,and forceing too fast have more bearing on life.I hope one of our more squared away brothers here has a  more accurate answer for you Chris.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Chris,most of the bandmills use 19" wheels because thats the largest commonly available single groove pulley,through industrial supply channels . Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ARKANSAWYER

I have never tried the 0.050 bands but do run the 0.055 some times.  They break alot sooner then the 0.045 that I normally run on the LT40.  With the 0.055 I can saw a bit faster in wood that has grain issues and large knots.  They do better at cutting nails and keep cutting wood longer.  The trade off is they will not last 4 sharpenings and the 0.045 will do 5 or 6 with out much trouble.  The thicker blades do pull the engine a bit more and I only have a 25 hp gas engine.  On the LT 70 we run 0.055 blades all the time.  The wheels are larger and feed rate is faster.  We still only get 4 or 5 sharpenings out of them.  But they have cut plenty of wood.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!