iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer ticks

Started by bandmiller2, May 07, 2010, 08:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

How do you guys that spend alot of time working in the woods and brush deal with deer ticks?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Poorly  :).

I hate the permanone spray, so I almost never use it.  Wear long sleeves if you can stand it.  Keep your shirt tucked in good.  Wear socks that you can pull up over your pants legs at the ankle.  Wear light clothes.  One reason that foresters wear khakis pants is that you can see the ticks when they get on your pants.  You cannot do this with normal blue jeans, so get some pants that will allow you to see ticks if they attach to your pants.

Here is the most important thing.  Check yourself everyday at the end of the day.  This means get naked.  A partner helps to check out the hard to see places, but this could be a dangerous practice, and it could increase the size of your family   ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

I did the same as WDH, but I put tape around my ankles also.   I sprayed my ankles(top of boots), waist-band, wrists and neck with DEET and got myself checked real close when I got home.  Getting your spouse in the shower can make for an exciting end to an all-work day.

I've been told that DEET doesn't repel ticks, but I did it anyway.  I think it works.

WDH

What, the DEET or the shower?  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

The Shower!!   I use the Deet excuse to stay in the shower.  ;D

jander3

Permanone...always.  Tick borne illness just about killed me in 07.   A month off work followed by a week in the Mayo Clinic.   I found religion...Permanone spray and check carefully.

whiskers

My neighbor keeps guinea fowl and says they smack um right up.
many irons in the fire.........

sigidi

Down here we get cattle tick which isn't bad, but we get paralysis tick and 1 tick would make an average fella of 100kg a bit sick, but 2 would have 'em layed up in hospital. I've been lucky not to have any bother me, but I still make sure i get a real close inspection when I come home ;D :D ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

VT-Woodchuck

Recent turkey hunting excursion resulted in two turkeys and three ticks. Luckily, the ticks were on another guy! And the turkeys were bigger.  :D

thecfarm

Permanone,I will have to find some of that stuff.Is that a brand name or an ingredient? We never had many ticks of any kind in my area up until last year.We found a few on us last year.I take better care of my dog than I do myself. I'm outside most of the day.Trees and fields every wheres I go really.We found more ticks on the dog this year than we ever have.Should of started his treatment in Feb this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Went bird hunting one november morning ,their was a good hard white frost,picked 23 deer ticks off my pants.Their tough little blighters you can even get them during warm spells in the winter.Frank C.

Chuck White

Sometimes people get Deer Ticks confused with Deer Lice.

At least around here anyways.

A tick (of any kind) has 8 legs and a louse has 6.

The ones we see on the deer we get during hunting season are lice, I've never seen a tick on a deer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Chuck, do deer lice carry Lyme disease?? Frank C.

bandmiller2

I have a small device that looks like a ball point pen for removing ticks it has a fine loop that extends when you press the back of the "pen" loop that around the little booger and with a slight twist out he comes head and all.Bought it at the vets office.Frank C.

Chuck White

BM2
I've never heard of Deer Lice carrying Lyme Disease!
But that doesn't mean they can't.
Probably a question to ask medical personnel or an Entemologist.

As far as I know Deer Lice do not penetrate the skin, they just try to stay where it's warm.
Deer Lice also fly.  I don't know if Ticks do or not!

That Tick removal tool you acquired sounds like it would be painful to use, but it should get the job done!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Chuck,the tool is painfull to the tick but not to the user.Its secret is the loop gets between the tick and your skin and removes the head.Worst thing you can do is grab mr tick with tweezers it squeezes juce into the bite and usally the head breaks off.Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on May 08, 2010, 07:39:09 AM
That Tick removal tool you acquired sounds like it would be painful to use, but it should get the job done!

It don't matter if it hurts the tick..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on May 08, 2010, 07:54:32 AM
Quote from: Chuck White on May 08, 2010, 07:39:09 AM

It don't matter if it hurts the tick..... :)

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 07, 2010, 08:45:18 PM
How do you guys that spend alot of time working in the woods and brush deal with deer ticks?? Frank C.

Don't have none, just flies. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Swamper your lucky on the ticks, but those blackflies are no bargan.At least we don't have chiggers.Frank C.

jander3

Repel Permonone

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=153116&catid=10539

There are other tick-borne illness in addition to Lymes disease (i.e. Anaplasmosis and Babesios). Speaking from personal experience, it also possible to get all three at one time, a situation that I  highly recommend avoiding. I never did find a tick or bite or mark, not sure how I missed it as the *DanG tick that got me must have been the size of a small dog.

The internal medicine doc at the Mayo clinic mentioned that the symptoms for Babesios were very similar to Malaria. Never had Malaria; after living through Babesios, I've added Malaria to my list of things that I really should avoid.

The purpose for all this detail, that most probably don't care about, is that over a month and number of trips to the emergency room I was diagnosed and treated for Lymes disease (3 times).  However, the local doctors never looked for the others. Wasn't till the Mayo guys got a hold of me after 102-104 degree fever every night for  a month that they figured it out.  When I finally went to the Mayo Clinic, it took them like one hour to figure out the problem.

ljmathias

Jander (and why the "3"?): Sounds like you're lucky to be alive!

Worst I ever had, I was at a resort in Arkansas (no reflection on our members) and took two grandkids for a canoe ride out to a little island in their lake.  Didn't take 10 steps before we were all covered foot to hip with ticks!   >:(  Scariest encounter with bugs I've ever had.  We all swatted them off, jumped back in the canoe and all the way back to the lodge, searched for ticks.  Immediately went swimming (which allowed a careful naked check before-  more hitchhikers found not yet bit in) and then showered with lots of shampoo and soap, followed by another full body check.  Lyme disease was real bad that year and we were all scared but escaped with our bodies intact.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Holmes

ljmathias   That happened to me on Cape Cod .We walked thru some waist high grass and ended up with about 100 ticks on us . We ran out of there, did a tick check on our close , jumped into the car and went back to the hotel, for additional tick checks. My wife was creaped out by the experience and did not even want those clothes in the car. Holmes
Think like a farmer.

SwampDonkey

Western Nova Scotia woods were bad for wood ticks, worst critters I seen. I'll take the black flies and squeeters over those things.  ;D I did pick up a couple ticks off a dead moose carcass. I thought dead animals meant the end of the parasite on them, apparently not.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

These DanG deer ticks seem to be a new thing, growing up all we had were common dog ticks just pull them off no big deal.Bambi in the freezer dosen't host ticks.I'am told theirs a mouse in the life cycle of the deer tick.I used to spend early fall roaming around the marshes of Cape Cod chaseing rail birds quit that lately.Frank C.

Tom

Here is a good link describing parasites of deer and giving pictures of lice and ticks.
http://instruction.cvhs.okstate.edu/kocan/vpar5333/deerpar.htm

Lyme disease is geographically centered, with expansion on the rise.  It is not a disease to mess with and is not always diagnosed properly by physicians.  Your best defense against the disease is a good defense against the tick.  Don't take it lightly, it can be debilitating.

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 08, 2010, 02:31:03 PM
I thought dead animals meant the end of the parasite on them, apparently not. 

As an animal's body cools, the parasites will turn loose and crawl out onto the hairs hoping for another "host" to pass by.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

That explains it then, I was tick bate. I never saw another tick on me all summer after coming across that dead calf moose.

Hilltop366

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 08, 2010, 02:31:03 PM
Western Nova Scotia woods were bad for wood ticks, worst critters I seen. I'll take the black flies and squeeters over those things.  ;D I did pick up a couple ticks off a dead moose carcass. I thought dead animals meant the end of the parasite on them, apparently not.

Thats right SD we must be real lucky because we got ticks blackflies and skeeters. Usually you have to go inland from the coast about 10 miles to get the black flies the only usually last a month or so then it's too warm for them. Story goes the local native would travel to the coast in the spring and return in land for the winter I wonder if this has any thing to do with blackflies?

I watched a TV show a few years back where some people were trying to invent a remote controlled tick killer to drag a material around the edge of a lawn to pickup the ticks and kill them after testing all different  materials they found that denim material worked the best, it seems that it was made just right for the ticks to get a hold of.

ARKANSAWYER

Get lots of ticks here.  Just about every day deal and I pick about 30 to 50 off the dogs every night in the summer.  I spray the dogs and it helps kill the ones I miss.  If I am going to be out in the woods this time of year I wear dog tick collors around my boot tops out side of my pants.  Then spray DEET 30 or better on the rest of my pants.  Some times I get the little tiny ones that look like crawing dirt and have to scrape them off with a knife.
  I have had spotted fever, scarlet fever, but no Lymes yet.  We have about 4 or 5 kinds of ticks here but them little black deer ticks are getting worst here.
ARKANSAWYER

sdunston

My wife and I can work in the woods all day and she will end up with a few and I have never had one on me. We use deet 100 and my safty pants are covered with the stuff. I think its one of those things were some get them and some dont, But If you get one that has started to go under your skin remove it and bring it to the doc with you, they can send it out and have it tested for lye.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Handy Andy

Back when we had few deer, we had few ticks.  Now the deer are thick and same for the ticks. I get em every day, usually they don't get attached but have had 2 this spring that did.  Sure could use one of those tick tools that Frank C told about. Fixing fence, feeding cows, just being out on the grass I get em.  Thanks for the tips.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

bandmiller2

Handy Andy,the name of the tool is Inno Tech Trix,made in sweden.information @ WWW.tickremover.com  Frank C.

Handy Andy

Thanks Frank, I'll try to get one.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Shetland Sheepdog

Quote from: thecfarm on May 08, 2010, 05:44:23 AM
Permanone,I will have to find some of that stuff.Is that a brand name or an ingredient? We never had many ticks of any kind in my area up until last year.We found a few on us last year.I take better care of my dog than I do myself. I'm outside most of the day.Trees and fields every wheres I go really.We found more ticks on the dog this year than we ever have.Should of started his treatment in Feb this year.

Most will recommend that you treat dogs year round! We used Advantix on our Sheltie, and it worked very well! Dropped from a dozen or better a day down to 1 or 2 a month!
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

thecfarm

We never really had ticks here before. I use Front Line on Boo Boo. Once I get it on him we rarely find any on him..Supposedly this stuff rebels them off the dog instead of killing them when they get on the dog. This is what the vet told me. It sounds good anyways. With the tick problem we have now,I'm thinking of keeping it on him all the time. I know that is recommended now.Still seems odd to me when there is snow on the ground and temps are in the single numbers.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Trax

I use Duranon it works great, it contains Permethrin. You spray it on your clothes and it last work weeks

http://health.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/06/permethrin_for_ticks.php

malcolmtent

This is a great thread for me, living in tick heaven here. I've had them, my son has, too, and don't even ask about the dogs ! So far, one of my dogs has contracted lyme, and probably in the winter, so the poster who thought that his dog was ok in the winter should pay attention.

I just found a seller on ebay - rainbowvalleyfarm - that's selling 3 of those Trix removal tools for $17.95. Thought you might want to know....

And now I'm off to buy some permanone .....

Magicman

Ticks are not a real problem for us.  Red Bugs....AKA Chiggers.  They are the real bad boys (or girls).

maple flats

We never had ticks before but do this year. I had one imbedded on my back on Monday and I had the remove one from my wife's thigh this morning. I had to use tweezers but am now looking for a tick remover tool. Looking locally first but if that fails Ill order online.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

beenthere

Picked a deer tick off my upper arm night before last. Monitoring the red spot, and captured the tick.
Just plucked it off. What does a tick remover tool do?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Beenthere,the real value of that tick tool is it gets the head out,it gets between the tick body and your skin and the head almost always comes out easily.The problem with tweezers is you squeeze the tick juce in the wound as you grab him to pull out,and many times leaving the head in.Frank C.

PineNut

I ordered 3 of the Trix Tick Removers about a week ago and they came in yesterday.  Ordered on E-bay but the seller is Gary Shields, e-mail is gshields@optonline dot net and he sells direct. Sells them at $7.49 each delivered for small quantities. Haven't had to use it yet but have them available.

Magicman

That dental floss method looked easy, and easily carried in your billfold.

WDH

Say more about the dental floss method.

ohsoloco

Quote from: thecfarm on May 10, 2010, 07:08:04 AM
I use Front Line on Boo Boo. Once I get it on him we rarely find any on him..Supposedly this stuff rebels them off the dog instead of killing them when they get on the dog. This is what the vet told me.

Actually, Frontline doesn't repel ticks, it only kills them if they actually bite the dog.  Even when I use Frontline I still have to pull the ticks off.  They actually seem harder to pull of in one piece when they're dead  :-\  I think it's the K-9 Advantix that repels ticks  :P  I rarely use Frontline on the dog any more, she gets the lyme disease vaccination every year.   

Just found a little tick on her head that I need to pull off  :(

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on May 20, 2010, 10:10:23 AM
Say more about the dental floss method. 

Use about 8" of dental floss.  Make a single overhand knot in the center.  Loop this over the tick and snug it down next to your skin.  Now you can pull it off without squeezing the juice back into you.  I always like to go "round and round", although some folks say to just pull straight.

Of course, this does not work with those that you don't find until the next day....or two.  They have buried too deeply.... >:(

submarinesailor

Having been treated for Lymes twice, I would like to give one piece of advise.  If the Ttick breaks the skin, when you pull it off, remember to pull it off the right way, place it in a plastic bags with a dated label and put it in the freezer.  This way they can test the tick if you start getting a reaction of some type.

Bruce

John Mc

Quote from: Magicman on May 11, 2010, 09:14:07 PM
Ticks are not a real problem for us.  Red Bugs....AKA Chiggers.  They are the real bad boys (or girls).

The ticks aren't so much of a problem... it's the Lyme's disease they carry that's the real bummer. It's often misdiagnosed, and the effects can be permanent if not caught and treated promptly.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!