iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer

Started by etkoehn, May 06, 2010, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

When I got my mill and they sent the WoodMizer Way mag I thought it would take me years to make the 100,000 bdft club.  I was past 100,000 bdft in the first 6 months and with in 4 years had made the 1,000,000 bdft club and thinking they need to start the 5 million bdft club because I will be there soon.  I bet there are some folks ready for the 10 million bdft club.
ARKANSAWYER

ElectricAl

We a 1993 LT40HDE15. It was the biggest machine from WM at the time.
Now however it's a little light duty compared to the LT70.

Back in 1999 we sawed 550,000 of 5/4 grade White Oak for a German market.
90% of the logs were 20-32" butts. 
The bed rails took a beating but there is plenty of adjustment to keep it accurate.
The constraint pounding would sheer the bolts on the stationary legs.

Our main rail is flattened where the rollers go, but again there is plenty of adjustment.

One think to think about when looking at a four post or cantilever is off bearing the lumber.

I had a chance to off bear for a four post portable guy once. That's one task I won't do too much of again. I had to lean over the second rail to get to the lumber. That got old real quick.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

backwoods sawyer

The bottom rail on my mill had a roller that was froze up when I got it and it looked about like the one Bibbyman is showing. The rail had worn flat and had some sharp spots along it. I talked with woodmizer and they have a grinder that travels up and down the rails to true them up. I scrapped and sanded the rail to clean it up.

If you ask him one question, ask him if you can saw with it before you buy, if he don't have a log around, find a few, they are easy to come by and you will want some anyway. Feeling how it saws will give you a good idea if it is more then what you want to tackle, or if it will fit your needs. You may want to start rethinking it, if it takes say four hours or so to make the first cut and the saw snakes and anything smokes on the way thru the cut.  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WH_Conley

Arky is right, where is he 10 million club?
Bill

Bibbyman

Quote from: WH_Conley on May 08, 2010, 12:01:08 AM
Arky is right, where is he 10 million club?

Maybe with each million they could make a new name tag and nail it over the old one on the display board and kind of stack them up.  Maybe have some kind of counter like McDonald's ... "Billions and Billions Sawed".
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Slingshot

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on May 07, 2010, 08:41:44 AM
A Wood-Mizer mill will get old.  But with replacement parts available at the other end of your keyboard or phone, the company is great when it comes to support.  I attended the 25 year celebration held at Will's in Missouri a couple of years back.  The tour included the first mill Wood-Mizer sold.  The company bought it back and refurbished it.  The picture just doesn't do it justice.

Here is a you-tube video of an early mill that looks like the mill in your picture and it is still sawing
wood. ....... Looks to be working great for 'The Wooden Nicol'............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOAeXTH65jw&feature=related

Some stills of it in this one by The Wooden Nicol;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfgxSSGeP4&feature=related

John S

I like that trailer/hoist set up that the Wooden Nicol is using.  Wish I was that creative.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Mark K

My Lt40 is an '87. We bought it from a custom sawyer in the area. Rails had flat spots wore in them and the rollers had to be replaced. Woodmizer has the best service department out of any company we have ever dealt with. We were going to replace it this year when we had a valve drop and embed itself in a piston. Ended up overhauling it and put it back to work in less than a week. Woodmizer found everything to revive the old Onan. I think it will be around when my kids are old enough to run it. Can't kill it.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Warren

Quote from: etkoehn on May 07, 2010, 01:08:48 PM
Well that's nice to know that they don't wear out to bad. If that rail did wear out the could always go with a bolt on rail. On a old Newholland baler it has hundreds or guides and rollers. Ok maybe hundreds is a bit of an exaggeration but it has a few and every rail the rollers ride on can be replaces and have to be adjusted with a feeler gauge. So even though it is old it can still push out some real nice looking bales.
So do you guys have anymore questions is could ask the seller?

I rebuilt a New Holland 273 square baler a few years ago.  The plunger/shear blade on my baler had 7 rollers to replace and adjust. I would rather adjust a Wood Mizer mill than crawl inside a baler  ANY DAY !

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Magicman

I don't think that this is my day to worry too much about him.  Everyone has opinions based on experience.  I'm sure that most mills have strong points and features.  Those same mills may even have weaknesses.  I'm satisfied with my decision.  I'm sure that others are with theirs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!