iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cool time lapse post cutting vid

Started by Brad_bb, May 06, 2010, 09:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

shinnlinger

I guess those chain mortisers really do speed things up....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

laffs

i got one of those mortisers takes no time to make a hole
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Brad_bb

This is true about the mortiser, but I learned last year how relevant manual mortising machines still are.  They are not slow.  They are more enjoyable to run because no noise, more in tune with the wood, and no sawdust flying in your eyes.  They are not quite as fast at hogging out material, but they are not slow.   

ballen

Do you have a link to an example of a "Manual Mortiser"?  I'm in the market for a new tool but have a limited budget.
Thanks

Jim_Rogers

Yes we do, look here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42552.0.html

Look under "boring machines"....

Then send me an email via the regular email system and I'll send you some more info....

Also look here for video of one of the machines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bANhq0WlhQ8
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

frwinks

Jim_Rogers

You got that right.... I'm not sure if that's the one Tim bought from us or not.... I think he has several......

They are nice machines....

Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

The time lapse video I posted was Armin Wendt aka "bavariaboy", up in Vancouver, CA.  Tim Beal is the one who posted himself using the antique boss boring machine on youtube.  It would be interesting to put a stopwatch on him doing that mortise and someone doing the same mortise with a Makita.  The thing about the Makita is that you have to leave about 1/16 clearance between the mortise line and where you're cutting.  You must then come back with the chisel and remove 1/16 or so all the way around.  The boring machine bit will actually touch the edge of the mortise, so It leaves places where no material needs to be removed, and it's actually easier cutting the triangular sections with a chisel in between the bored holes.  So in the end that narrows the speed gap.  The chisel work may be slightly easier with the boring machine.  It's good to get some experience on both.

Thank You Sponsors!