iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Credit Card Scam - shopperdiscounts

Started by DouginUtah, May 05, 2010, 11:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

I purchase quite a bit of stuff over the internet using my credit card.

This evening I happened to notice a charge made by:

VISA - 05/01 SHOPPER DISCOUNTS 800-889-8776 CT 026966   $12.00

This is a scam and they have been pulling it on me for over a year. Shame on me for not noticing.  >:(

Google shopperdiscounts scam .

You might want to check your credit card statements.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

timberfaller390

My girlfriend had the same thing from the same company. Did you call the number? My GF did and they told her it was for her membership. She said she hadn't bought a membership and did not want one. The girl on the other end of the telephone said "Well you've got a membership whether you want one or not" and the hung up the phone.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Norm

We had Speigels do the same thing for $2.99. They told me I had agreed to it when Patty placed an order. It got it reversed but it was still a pain going through the steps to do so. I wrote visa a letter telling them I guessed I wasn't the only one hit with this fraud and sent a copy to our state AG.

Merchant accounts get banged a fine for this kind of stuff.

easymoney

one of the reasons i do not have a credit card any more.

mometal77

I had on the 7th of this month Bank of America call me in an automated message saying they had malicious charges on my account.  I thought what of it I have my cards and when I looked at my statements 2 charges for gas at a shell and 7-11 had been placed one was for 60 the other for 70 then 14 for a tobacco store in the nearby town all with credit.  I called bank of america and I still have my card.  Only thing I can think of is when a cashier had asked to see my card they swipped it at either the hardware store or wendys,burgerking,tacobell late at night and had a atm card reader.

Has anyone had this happen?
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Ron Wenrich

I had a Discover bill for some charges that I didn't recognize.  Called them up and asked what they were about.  They checked, then asked if I had been in Great Britain.  No.  How about anyone in my family?  Again, no.

They cancelled out the card and sent me a new one.  The charges were to a grocery store in Great Britain.  That's the only problem I've ever had. 

A number of years ago I was checking out someone who wanted to be a member of the site.  It came back as a Russian IP.  What I would do is take the last part of the e-mail address and see what kind of site it is.  Came back as a Russian site that was selling credit card numbers along with mother's maiden name and SS numbers.  10 for $50 at that time.  I got out of the site PDQ.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bedway

Last year someone in Briton charged about six hundred to my accout for flights to some far eastern country. Dang, id a payed money to get my hands on them.

Ianab

Quote from: mometal77 on November 18, 2011, 05:46:23 AM
I had on the 7th of this month Bank of America call me in an automated message saying they had malicious charges on my account.  I thought what of it I have my cards and when I looked at my statements 2 charges for gas at a shell and 7-11 had been placed one was for 60 the other for 70 then 14 for a tobacco store in the nearby town all with credit.  I called bank of america and I still have my card.  Only thing I can think of is when a cashier had asked to see my card they swipped it at either the hardware store or wendys,burgerking,tacobell late at night and had a atm card reader.

Has anyone had this happen?

Yup.

Someone went shopping on my card in Thailand. Various supermarkets etc until the card eventauily declined. Bank cancelled the card and reversed the charges without any fuss, but I was still annoyed of course.

Talking to the bank rep he suspected the card had been read twice when I had used it locally (gas station etc) and the numbers sold over the internet to allow someone to make a "clone" of my card. It need not even appear to be from my bank, or have my name on it, as long as the mag strip reads, and the signature matches the thief's own most merchants will accept it.  >:( They were looking back at the previous transactions and trying to match them up to other stolen accounts to see where the "carding" was happening.

Replacement card is a "chip and pin" one which has an encrypted computer chip in it, much harder to make a fake one.

Credit card is still safer than cash. Someone steals your wallet? Good luck getting that back...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

Just an observation, around here the card number thefts are highest in quick stops run by Pakistanis, Lebanese, etc.  I am very selective on where I use a card in gas and quickie marts.  My wife is not, hence the problem.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

It's not always the places you would suspect.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45353793/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TsaYoT24q7s

QuoteMore than two dozen current and former waiters and their associates from some of the city's top steakhouses have been arrested in an alleged identity theft ring, accused of stealing credit card numbers from wealthy customers,

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pigman

Quoteaccused of stealing credit card numbers from wealthy customers,
Maybe that is why I don't have a problem. :'(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Brucer

My credit card is only used for a few things -- like ordering parts for the mill. The balance is automatically paid off in full every month, so I don't need a very high credit limit.

Several years ago I received a whopping bill, 50% higher than my credit limit. The bill also had a note that my credit limit had automatically been increased to accommodate my recent "purchase".

It seems the purchase that blew my limit was a Dell computer, ordered from the manufacturer by phone. To this day I don't know where the computer was ordered from, or how the purchaser got my credit card number.

I didn't get stuck with the bill but it was pretty inconvenient getting the whole thing sorted out.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

AvT

This thread made me go check my cc bill.  Like Brucer I pay mine off every month but I noticed this line on the back of my bill:

"Reminder if you only make the minimum payment every month, it will take approximately 22 years and 0 months to pay the entire new balance shown on this statement."

The bill was 865.13 dollars

Must be a governemt reg to put that on the bill.  To me it is a scam to get people to go into debt above their heads so they can only afford to make rediculously high interest payments.  It is sad and shameful what has become of our society in many ways.  I think it may end in an ugly way some day. really ugly
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Cedarman

Sign on counter in local Dairy Queen.  Please pay with cash or American Express for purchases under $10.00 as card fees have become excessive. 

Is it against the law to advertise cash discount if paying cash?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kansas

You can offer a cash discount if you do it right. You have to advertise the regular price. Then have a discount for cash. What you cannot do is charge a surcharge for using a credit card.  Its against the policy of Visa, etc. to allow that. Some states also have some laws against it. But it is my understanding that structured properly, it can be done.

SwampDonkey

I've yet to see a cash discount anywhere. Plus, I don't carry a lot of cash around. It's in the bank, but I don't carry much more than $100 bucks. To a lot of folks it wouldn't matter if it was a whad of cash or a card, they would spend it all. There is a lady that lives near my uncle and she can't hang onto it, and always borrowing. Then issuing a cheque for the debt, dated till month end. Good luck, better check to see if it is covered with the bank. :D I don't lend money myself, that's why there are banks if anyone asks. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

We have several gas stations that do have cash discounts and I see some truck stops have lower prices for cash.
Those few of us that pay with cash should ask for a discount as it does save the retailer money.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Al_Smith

The only real problem I've had was an oversite from Sears and Roebuck which was a mess .At the time they were restructuring because they were on the verge of bankruptcy and things really got messed up .

After a letter from my lawyer they were real quick in getting things in order .Law suits are something they really understand .

I'm like many .I pay the balance off every month .Interest charges and Al Smith  don't fit in the same sentence .BTW Sears got their card back in tiny little pieces .

However as programed to do they always ask of which when that happens I give them a stern lecture .

Thank You Sponsors!