iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Log

Started by flibob, May 05, 2010, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flibob

This is pic of the first log on my new LT28.  If it had been a snake it would have bit me.   But beginer's luck it didn't hurt a thing.  We're havin fun now.

The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

brdmkr

Glad to see you found it before the blade!  Congrats on your first log!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

r.man

Congratulations on your start. I am green with envy and drooling with anticipation. Was that the only piece of steel and do you have a metal detector for the less obvious stuff.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

campy

Congratulations.
Now you can really crank out some lumber.

What are you going to make first?

KyTreeFarmer

OOOOOhh what pretty colors, orange and green, congrats on that first log and your beginners luck. So far all I have found has been mill parts!
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

etkoehn

Green is sure the right color;) No buddy knows for sure how long they'll run
Farm Boy

bikedude73

Hey buddy great you got the mill and have made so me saw dust...... 8) 8) 8)

Magicman

I'm glad to see those new LT28's going into production.  Congratulations on yours and your first log.

Your eyes are the best metal detector that you can have.  Always check the butts/ends for blue stain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

Magicman, do you mean that logs with metal in them always show blue stain in the end and if so how noticeable?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Magicman

Quote from: r.man on May 07, 2010, 10:02:25 PM
Magicman, do you mean that logs with metal in them always show blue stain in the end and if so how noticeable?

No, not always.  Depends upon how large the metal is and how close to the end it is.  Television guy wire anchors show up in "town trees" often.  I sawed a White Oak last Summer that had a 3"-4" spot.  I told the customer that it was there when I arrived on the job site.

Tannic acid in the tree will react with iron oxide and cause blue stain.  After it has been exposed to the air(oxygen), often it can/will be seen on the log end.  Also, as you saw, it may show up as you get closer to the metal.  The closer you are to the metal, the more likely you are to see stain.  

Commercial mills will not take "fence row" trees that show stain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

I've all too often sawn logs with metal in them, but only if the metal is very close to the end of the log will the blue/black staining show on the crosscut face. More often as MM said you start slicing through the log and then one layer has this 'darker' patch appear and yep sure as eggs, next layer you are swearing as ya teeth leave the blade :( >:(
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!