iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dictionary needed....

Started by mrcaptainbob, May 04, 2010, 11:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

I cant talk intelligently without knowing what I'm saying. Where can I find explanations for wood cutting terms...such as/but not limited to...can't, peevey, pith, etc. ....

Tom

One of the best places to learn the terms in context is here on the forum.

The Wood Handbook
has a good glossary too.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/gloss.pdf

bandmiller2

Cap Bob,your wise to want to learn the language, every trade has its own jargon.Thats how they tell the players from the pilgrims.As Tom says you can absorb most of it here in past posts,and get to know the personalities too.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jeff

Its in my plans to come up with some sort of Forestry Forum glossary built by member contribution. I'll  try to put a little more thought into it when I get a few current projects completed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

captain_crunch

Jeff
That might be a bigger job than you think ;D ;D You may have to have an East and West version :D :D :D Wack of logs for instance out here is a deck of logs. Around here a wack of logs would be interpted as you were standing in the wrong place and how many stitches did it take to fix ya ::) ::)
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Jeff

A whack of logs was invented on the Forestry Forum. Its not something you would hear outside of the forum, unless by a member in the know.  Whack meaning a bunch.   Logs are decked here as well.

Tom

Cassius Clay decked Joe Frazier and George Foreman.

Mooseherder

Then George decked Smokin' Joe and went on to have 5 sons named George. ;D
The Grills are just a sideline. :D

Tom

He had some daughters named George too, didn't he.  :D

Then he decked Michael Moorer but cant hook anymore.

captain_crunch

Jeff
From the looks of this post you may not want our input on the dictionary ;D ;D
First I got off topic about getting whacked by the logs and look where my cronies took it to :D :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Tom

We Flat Saw what you were doing.  :D

mrcaptainbob

Tom

I'm knot going to make anything up.

Old Hilly

And down here in OZ, well it's all diferent again. ???
Yout "Bd Ft" is our "Super foot" ("Super" for short) and your "off bearer", as far as I can tell, is kind-of like our "Tailer-out".
Don't worry Mr Captain Bob, it gets worse.  :D
Dennis.

customsawyer

Well you aren't going to catch me working around my mill with my tailer out.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cedarman

This whole thread is starting to pevee me off. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jim_Wahl

I can't believe this thread hasn't gotten to food, yet. Say, isn't it about lunch time?
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

r.man

Leave it to Canadians to be practical, plus I'm already eating an early lunch.
Cant hook- two handed log turning device consisting of a lever with a gripping tooth at one end and a pivoting hook to grip different sized logs to rotate them.
Peavey- same as a cant hook except has a stinger like end instead of a tooth. Preferred for moving logs in water runs.
Cant- log that has three flattened sides.
Flitch- unedged board.
Rooster tail- (might be Central Ontario Canada) extra thick area at the end of a sawn board, usually caused by the cutting blade shifting as it exits the cut.
Stick or sticker- thin piece of scrap lumber generally 4 ft long placed crossways at intervals between courses of lumber in a pile to allow air circulation.
Offhand can't think of any others or any good unused puns. Back to lunch. Hope that helps a bit and maybe the others can add some. Foreign terms are very often humourous..... oh yeah that's me. Humour, honour,through etc.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

captain_crunch

Dang it Tom you took all the good uns >:( >:( But it is 1:00 there and only 10:00 here so I might have enough time today yet to catch up :P :P :P
But seriously I like Jeff's idea. It took me awhile to figure out some of the terminology you fellers use. You call it Pith in center and we call it heartwood, we call fliches slaps and boards is boards. The wealth of knowledge here is amazeing but sometimes translateing it takes a bit ??? ??? Could not be that I am thick headed like my wife claims ;D ;D. But good thing is typeing don't have an accent no ear plugs and powersaws kinda done my hearing in and takilin to someone with a bit of one fouls me badly. Mike Newman a friend of mine from NewZeland and I have to Email each other beings I can not understand him over phone due to his accent :( :( :(
Brian

Kansas

Knew a guy from Canada once that told me he was a pilot. He worked at a sawmill. The other guy sawed the lumber. He did the pilot.

whiskers

Wonder if he ever got hot under the fast collar?
many irons in the fire.........

captain_crunch

Come on Tom I am waiteing for one of your Good come Backs :o :o
Have to admit after reading your storys you are ONE Good story tellers would sugest everybody check out his Web Page. You Tales took me back to Days that hold fond memories
Brian

mrcaptainbob

All good stuff and more to come! Thanks for all the help....

sigidi

Down here we tend to call 'em flitches - flat one side and rounded on the back, we don't tend to use the term cant unless it's regarding a cant hook, don't tend to get any peeveys. The chap cutting the timber is the sawyer, the guy carrying it is the tailer, the log is on supports as compared to bunks, we get back sawn and quarter sawn like you guys do, don't tend to get much into any other designations of sawing patterns just stay with bs or qs. We call 'em 6x2's you guys call 'em 2x6 or 8/4x6.

Most of the sawing terminology I come across is based on swingmilling as we don't have as high a percentage of bandmillers as you guys, so we'd probably have 'cants' if our country wasn't so highly populated with Lucas type mills and we tend not to have many places where waterways could be used to transport logs-certainly don't have mill ponds to store logs in either, our water resources are so limited we don't allocate it for log storage ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

bandmiller2

Allen,sounds like what you call a flitch we call a slab,usally a waste product.When we talk of a cant think of a timber to be sliced into boards or dimention,or simply a log with all the bark cut off.Allen you were talking of getting an oxy outfit to braze on your carbide bits,the big expense is the bottle lease/rental.For a light user those small medical oxy tanks and plumbers "B" acetelyn tanks work well and you just exchange them when empty.Frank C.

r.man

I have seen small hand torches, the flaming tool not the battery powered light, that are rated for brazing. The fuel used was not propane but I can't remember what it was called. For someone who only needed to braze the occasional thing it would be an inexpensive option.

bandmiller2

R,what your thinking of is mapp gas,its a mix of acet. and propane.wile hot enough it would likely take too long to heat the bits you want quick in and out.Frank C.

west penn

A good book to read is    Understanding Wood  by Bruce Hoadley   Lots of info about sawing, drying, and woodworking and stresses etc. dealing with wood.  Amazon.com has used for 16.00

Don_Papenburg

Captan_crunch , I have always thought that  pith was the very center of the log . (the first years maybe no more than ten rings )    every thing that surrounds that would be early wood or heart wood  except for the lighter colored wood just under the bark . That is called the sapwood .     Some places call slabwood (usualy big box lumber yards) 2x4 studs.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom

The pith is that dark line that runs through the center of the log at "ring 0"  when a tree grows, it is like dipping a candle in hot wax and layer after layer of meristem is layed down.  The lateral meristem on the side of the tree that adds to the girth lies just beneath the bark and is called cambium.  The meristem at the tip of the tree or limb is what adds height.  It is called the apical meristem (growing bud).  As it lays its layers down, that line is left in the center of the tree.  It is very weak and sometimes, over a period of time, separates.  The three to five rings, sometimes more, that are laid down beside the pith are not strong either and are referred to as immature wood.

Heart wood may not exist for years and sometimes not at all.  Heartwood is the sapwood that has died and become progressively impermeable to fluids. Heartwood is the strength of the tree, offering it rigidity.

Heartwood is usually darker in color than the sapwood.  Sapwood is the layer of wood that lies between the heartwood and the cambium layer.  Cambium produces the sapwood and the sapwood turns to heartwood as it dies and the food and water carrying vessels close.  The Sapwood is what carries the nutrients to the top of the tree.

The cambium is the living and regenerative part of the tree.  It is a thin layer lying just beneath the bark that produces bark on one side and sapwood on the other.  Since the tree grows by laying down layer upon layer, those cells never move.  That is why a nail placed at eye level will be found at that same level years later, even though the tree may have overgrown it and encapsulated it in the body of the tree.

Roots have apical meristem too.  They aren't pushed through the soil like you would push a stick, but are showing apparent movement because they are adding new growth to their tips, much the same as the tree above them.

Earlywood and Latewood, sometimes called summer wood and winter wood, are created because the lateral meristem produces different densities of cells when in the growing period or in dormancy.  The quick growth in the spring creates the wide, lighter colored Early wood (spring wood) while the slowing of the growth in the late summer or fall creates the darker colored and more dense Late wood ( summer wood or winter wood).  Since this usually happens dependent upon seasons, a combination of the early wood and late wood is known as an annular growth ring and used to identify the age of the tree.   

Trees can lay down false rings if there are extreme weather changes, so special training is needed to identify the true age of a tree.  Cypress is notorious for appearing to be older than it really is, because it frequently creates false rings.

This study of Tree growth and aging is a large part of the knowledge one must have to become a Dendrologist.

sigidi

Quote from: Tom on May 09, 2010, 12:58:24 AM
The pith is that dark line that runs through the center of the log at "ring 0"  when a tree grows, it is like dipping a candle in hot wax and layer after layer of meristem is layed down.  The lateral meristem on the side of the tree that adds to the girth lies just beneath the bark and is called cambium.  The meristem at the tip of the tree or limb is what adds height.  It is called the apical meristem (growing bud).  As it lays its layers down, that line is left in the center of the tree.  It is very weak and sometimes, over a period of time, separates.  The three to five rings, sometimes more, that are laid down beside the pith are not strong either and are referred to as immature wood.

Heart wood may not exist for years and sometimes not at all.  Heartwood is the sapwood that has died and become progressively impermeable to fluids. Heartwood is the strength of the tree, offering it rigidity.

Heartwood is usually darker in color than the sapwood.  Sapwood is the layer of wood that lies between the heartwood and the cambium layer.  Cambium produces the sapwood and the sapwood turns to heartwood as it dies and the food and water carrying vessels close.  The Sapwood is what carries the nutrients to the top of the tree.

The cambium is the living and regenerative part of the tree.  It is a thin layer lying just beneath the bark that produces bark on one side and sapwood on the other.  Since the tree grows by laying down layer upon layer, those cells never move.  That is why a nail placed at eye level will be found at that same level years later, even though the tree may have overgrown it and encapsulated it in the body of the tree.

Roots have apical meristem too.  They aren't pushed through the soil like you would push a stick, but are showing apparent movement because they are adding new growth to their tips, much the same as the tree above them.

GO TOM!!!! 8) ;D 8)

Frank C, we call a slab a piece of timber cut horizontally straight through, from bark to bark, so it would have two sawn faces and two natural edges  ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

MFinity

Seems to me the more ordinary but still, most useful, tools should get the attention they deserve, so herewith, some definitions of basic tools that many of us are likely to find around the shop:

A few of my favorites:

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.
EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4: Used for levering an automobile upward off of a trapped hydraulic jack handle.
PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids and for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.
DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly-stained heirloom piece you were drying.
PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.
EXPLETIVE: A balm, also referred to as mechanic's lube, usually applied verbally in hindsight, which somehow eases those pains and indignities following our every deficiency in foresight.
;D

Jeff

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on May 04, 2010, 11:41:48 PM
I cant talk intelligently without knowing what I'm saying. Where can I find explanations for wood cutting terms...such as/but not limited to...can't, peevey, pith, etc. ....

Sorry I didn't answer in a more timely manner on this, but I've been busy. ;) :)

I let mrcaptainbob in on this a day or so early, but its ready now.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,43883.0.html

r.man

I bow down to your superior knowledge and typing. I am also amazed at the amount of work that must have gone into this dictionary. I expect to use it frequently. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort. Please thank Stacey as well for her effort on our behalf. 

Thank You Sponsors!