iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you find ...???

Started by Tony, May 04, 2010, 07:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Whether I'm taking a break at work or wasting time at the coffee shop on a rainy day, I find myself trying to work some form of sawmilling into almost every conversation. ;D :D  Of course I enjoy bragging about my 83 year old offbearer, Dad. smiley_old_guy
     Do any of you find yourself doing that or am I the only one ??? ;D :D

Tony   8)

TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

rbarshaw

You are the only one ;D :D ;) :)

Just kidding, do it myself all the time.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Holmes

Hi Tony  Good to here your keeping your 83 year old dad busy. I had my dad helping me until he turned 90, rehabbing an old farm house. It made him feel useful.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Chuck White

I don't think it would be normal for us sawyers to hold a conversation without the topic switching over to sawing.

Don't matter if it's how much you sawed yesterday, or how nice the mill is running, or the beautiful lumber you turned out, or how many logs you sawed.    And the list goes on.

Take my word for it, "YOU ARE NORMAL".  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rph816

That's great, I like to brag too, seems like my poor dad gets stuck with lots of off-loading too.  Hopefully he'll get the hang of the new hydros on the B-20 and we can switch roles.  Seems like sawyers work until they can't anymore.  There's a guy back around my hometown that's sawing, by himself, into his 90's.  Hopefully I'll still be sawing by then.  What really cracks me up is that people (especially my age) seem to have no idea where lumber comes from and are not aware that you can make it yourself.  Too bad for them.

Ryan

brdmkr

Let's see.  I talked about milling at a going away reception today.  Talked about sawing at a church committee meeting.  Talked about sawing at the coffee pot today, yesterday, day before........  No.  I really don't talk about milling that much.  It's just you ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

ohsoloco

It can bring you some business as well.  Not that I said anything the other day, but I had someone from the power company out to talk about running power to the shop I'm planning to build soon.  He saw my mill and started asking questions about it.  He then mentioned that they occasionally get some old cedar poles that they usually cut up for firewood   ;D

r.man

I don't talk about sawing at all, but then I haven't sawn yet. Lately I have been talking quite a bit about sawmills, band and circular, building a bandsaw, I'm about a quarter done, working at a small 18 man mill doing electrical repair, repeating things I've read on the forestry forum......... I think people are starting to avoid me. Oh well if they don't want to talk about sawmill stuff, there are other lonely desperate people anxious to here the sound of another human voice out there I'm sure.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Mr Mom

cant talk to friends about sawmilling they are into nascar and sports and other things im not into.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Cedarman

Anyone that knows me knows that I will talk cedar and cedar business 24/7 if allowed to do so.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

zopi

Not just me...alot of my friends think it is cool that I have a mill, so they talk about it..alot of wood falls into my lap as a result...gotta cut a white oak for a guy..whose wife works for Stihl...and who is offering to have my 660 repaired for cutting the wood for him...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ernie

When I go to the local pub or just down to the shop, I am usually covered in sawdust, the conversations about milling are self starters ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

backwoods sawyer

Is there something other then sawing and all that goes with it, to talk about?  :o
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Tom

I'd say that we are doing a pretty good job responding to such an innocuous title as "Do you find....?"

bandmiller2

What about lusting after fine looking trees,hard to keep your eyes on the road sometimes.I daydream about bits just peaking out the top of a big pine cant.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

KyTreeFarmer

My wife has heard it so much she is beginning to point out trees that (her words) "would look good on the sawmill".
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

flibob

...I just saw one gorgeous white oak the other day what a shape, that baby would really look good....    oh I lost my train of though.   Why no, I don't think about sawing much.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Magicman

Only if I can find someone to talk to......I drove a spell   move_it  to talk to this guy.... :)

Say it ain't so....DanG
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tony

Quote from: Tom on May 05, 2010, 11:40:36 PM
I'd say that we are doing a pretty good job responding to such an innocuous title as "Do you find....?"

Well Tom I had to look up the word "innocuous" and harmless as it is, it rymes with poisonous. Speaking of poisonous is osage sawdust harmful? Speaking of sawdust, let me tell you about my sawmill on which I cut some bodock the other day..... :D ;D :D   

Sorry for butting in, now what were you saying ??? ??? ???

Tony   8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Brucer

Quote from: Tony on May 04, 2010, 07:05:42 PM
     Do any of you find yourself doing that or am I the only one ??? ;D :D

That's how I advertise. I'm not a conversationalist at heart, but I've become pretty adept at working my business into a conversation.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sigidi

The way I figure it, between the good people here, if you didn't talk about milling everyday; workin it into conversation anywhere you could - then you'd be pretty 'different'!! ;D 8)

I don't let anyone go without talkin about milling at some point... :D ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!