iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Forum Robins (live webfeed fast connection advised)

Started by Jeff, May 04, 2010, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We have a Robin that once again built a nest out out back door. This year, its two feet from your head and eye high as soon as you walk out the back door. 5 eggs were laid! 3 hatched in the last 24 hours the last I could tell.  I have hooked up a webcam for you to check our Robin's progress. I have the audio turned off so I don't have to watch what I say. ;D

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/forestry-forum-event
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Hey Jeff, would you go out and pick up that straw or paper in front of the chairs?  The wind is rocking it back and forth and it's distracting.   :D

Say when

Chuck White

Don't believe it's a straw Roxie.

I think it's a small streak of sunlight shining through.

It is in kinda the same sequence as the wind moving the umbrella.

- - - - - - - -

Pretty neat Jeff.

I like watching the little birds too.  Except for the Phoebee's that like to nest at the top of the windows.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

Chuck White ~ CSI 

And, you didn't even need the gaschromatographmasspectrometer!
Say when

Chuck White

Roxie;
ROFL smiley_roller, I never heard of that word  :o, and from the looks of it, I don't want to even get close to it either.  ;D ;D

Have a good one.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

Its pretty cool watching the robbins from the internet when they are only 20 feet away. :D

I see both mama and papa robbin arrive with food at the same time this morning a couple times. :) 

Must be that one egg is infertile or something.

metalspinner

That nest is just perfect!

We had a mourning dove nesting in a bush near the front door the past couple of years.  Their nests can barely be called that.  Just enough sticks to keep the little guys from falling down through the tree.  Let me go check if she built one this year...  No, not yet.  I'm not sure the time of year they nest.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

metalspinner

A quick google search found this info on the Robin mating habits...

http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/Robins.html

From the same sight, here is a little info on the dove nest...

Mourning Dove Nesting Habits
A loosely built nest of twigs, grass, weeds and pine needles.make up the nesting materials Doves use. In fact, this loose pile of twigs is so lightly put together that often you can see through it from the bottom.

If the Dove is startled and flies off the nest too quickly, the eggs could fall from the nest. Bird watchers would be wise to wait until the eggs have hatched before approaching any nest.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff on May 05, 2010, 06:32:15 AM
Its pretty cool watching the robbins from the internet when they are only 20 feet away. :D

I see both mama and papa robbin arrive with food at the same time this morning a couple times. :) 

How long before they are eatin' size?  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Right now if yer a cat. :-\   The camera saved em late yesterday afternoon.  I have the feed on one monitor here full size.  I was working on BW Wiilliams' website and I looked over at it because I saw movement out of the corner of my eye.  There was a black cat on the deck looking right up at the camera.  I ran for the door and it took off. Mama robin was still in the nest and so were the babies. Have no idea where the cat came from.   I set a live trap out there last night.  I baited it with Meatloaf. ;D  It was sprung this morning but empty. I reckon its to small a trap for a cat.  Hopefully it at least scared it off.

I see the 5th egg hatched over night and there are now 5 big mouths. :)

Burlkraft

Hey turn on the porch light I can't see the robins....... :D  :D  :D

Dave Shepard

I just clicked the link and thought there was something wrong with the connection. Then I realized what time it was. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

You can see it now. Sort off.  We turn the back yard light on at night as Stacy sleeps in the cabin.

Burlkraft

Not much goin' on right now.

I see it must be rainin' there too.
We may get a rain/snow mix in the mornin'.  :-\  :-\

Then a frost warning for Sat night. We've got a lot of sheets to put out tomorrow late afternoon.

Jill has planted a few hundred flowers so far  ::)  ::)  ::)

Jeff

There is a winter weather advisory out. We may get up to 3 inches tonight. Corley may get 5 or more

thecfarm

Than I'll be getting the same weather in a day or 2.Seems like what you get,I get.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Jeff, little Miss Fishpharmer loves the livecam.  We just watched the babies getting fed a few minutes ago.  Thanks.  The bird sitting on the nest almost acts like it knows people are watching.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

trapper

i am in the minority here I dont like robins They destroy my strawberries. wont eat an entire berry  just go from plant to plant  eting a little on each
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

Norm

They are the reason we cannot grow sweet cherries around here.

Ours is the goldfinch. Kind of a funny aside Iowa declared the sunflower a noxious weed a few years back, it is the state flower of Kansas. To retaliate they threatened to have an open season on goldfinches.  :D

Jeff

The camera was down a bit without my knowledge. Its back up now after a computer reboot. :)

SwampDonkey

Now that we are onto birds, I was wondering if you see any barn swallows up that way Jeff. We used to have 100's here and even in the deep woods they nested under bridges and camp eves and porches. I see only one once in awhile. We do have quite a few tree swallows along the river. Them barn swallows had a big die off here in 1996 when it turned cold and snowed after they arrived and starved.  :'(

Them robins are as thick as field mice around here. They have a nest in the honeysuckle again and I see one in the shed next door. A week ago I seen robin egg shell out by the steps so there is a new family somewhere.

Pheobes are thick to, and some type of sparrow keeps getting trapped in the garage, chipping sparrow maybe.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

There aint hardly room for mama already!

I don't know what happened to the 5th bird. The egg seemed to hatch , but I can only count 4 birds. There is nothing under or around the nest to suggest it fell out.  If its gone, I wonder, does a dead fledgling serve as a food source?

SwampDonkey

Any grackles around? They might take one, I've seen them catch mice even.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Yes, there are grackles but I dont think that's the case. They stay clear of the house.

Thank You Sponsors!