iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of tool is this?? (yard sale find)

Started by shinnlinger, May 03, 2010, 09:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

I don't know what it is and have asked a few folks.  I figured I could replace a point with a pencil and use it use it as a scribe as it has 2 vials or as a big adjustable bevel gauge or compass as it has a very positive lock on it.  It has a dial indicator for the amount of degrees it is open also.

Any ideas?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

laffs

thats a washing machine. im not sure what that yellow thingy is
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

ljmathias

I think the big yellow thing is a tool of some sort- doesn't look to be alive or moving so I guess I wouldn't whack it with a hammer.  ;D

Good luck...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

whiskers

It's a combination compass, level and washing machine finder.
many irons in the fire.........

Lil Badger Creek

What a cool tool! looks like a large scale version of an angle finder. Great for finish work. Your find has more uses.  -Stephen
Stephen

LeeB

The kind you put in a yard sale becuse you don't know what to do with it and hope somebody will buy it so they can try to figure it out.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

maineframer

It is clearly a combination compass-level-with a built in accuracy gauge/timer and or watch.
David

sawdust

Given the color it is obviously a Caterpillar brand Stuck-o-meter. Gives accurate readings of depth of stuck and whether you are stuck level or half a bubble off. 
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Sprucegum

:P read 240 times and still no concise definition of the artifact  :o  :o

I'd make a wise comment but I got to go get something to eat....no thanks, I don't need a

Grit-o-meter

ljmathias

I think Shinnlinger subconsciously figured it out- hence the placement on his (or his wife's?) washing machine: it's a washing machine level and adjustment tool...  now you just have to figure out how to use it   ;D :D ;D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jim_Rogers

Definition of an Inclinometer:
Inclinometer is an instrument for measuring angles of slope and inclination of an object with respect to its gravity by creating an artificial horizon. It is also known as a tilt sensor, tilt indicator, slope meter, slope gauge, gradient meter, gradiometer, level gauge & level meter. Inclinometer is commonly used in different industries like Aviation, civil engineering, Government, Marine, Military, and Transportation for platform leveling, boom angle indication and slope angle measurement. The tilt angle range is the range of desired linear output measured in degrees. Important specifications to consider when searching for tilt sensors and inclinometers are the tilt angle range and number of axes.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

LeeB

Jim_Rogers

LeeB

That makes it sound even better then.  :D

shinnlinger

That is a nice definition Jim, but do you have any idea what the tool is???
Shinnlinger

Dan_Shade

does it have a manufacturer's mark on it?

the color looks like "Stanley"

My "guess" is that it's simply a combo tool/washing machine finder like whiskers said!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

shinnlinger

I don't believe it has any markings, but it is out in the barn right now because after it found the washing machine and the kitchen table a few times my wife thought it should go find the rest of my tools... and she said it is a clinometer, no IN the house about it....
Shinnlinger

bill m

Check out this web site.

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk 

I think they might be able to help.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Jim_Rogers

Well, I googled inclinometer and then selected images to see if I could find a picture of one that matched. After viewing some 40 pages of images of all kinds of inclinometers I'd have to say it probably isn't one, but I'm not totally sure.

I didn't find anything that exactly matched.

Jim

Holmes

Looks like a dial type protractor/ level. Old like a dial type telephone.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

shinnlinger

Holmes,

Lets assume you are correct.  Who would have used it and why????
Shinnlinger

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

shinnlinger

I can't believe it is a timber framer's tool as I have never seen such a thing, a co worker of mine with extensive framing experience (worked with Ed Levin for years) has no idea what it is, and out Forestry forum expert, Jim Rogers doesn't know what it is. Besides, it will have pretty limited use in TF applications...  It is no BIG AL......

hhhmmmmmm....
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!