iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits Casserole

Started by DanG, May 02, 2010, 11:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Believe it or not, I saw this on network television.  It was on the cooking segment on one of the "Good Morning" shows...CBS I think.  The guy started off with a pot of grits cooked the normal way, then added a cup of grated cheese, some diced peppers and diced onion.  Then he broke and beat four eggs, dumped them in, stirred it all up and poured it into a glass baking dish.  Next, he sprinkled a generous layer of grated cheddar cheese over the top and poked it in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.  I think I'm gonna have to try it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fishpharmer

DanG, thanks for sharing that, sounds good to me.  I will try it to.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

LeeB

Crumble some bacon into also.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Gary_C

Well first of all DanG, why were you watching that CBS left wing network. Were you missing Katie Couric?  :D

But more important, wouldn't that casserole be even better with some taters instead of them there grits?  ??? ???

:D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

CHARLIE

What are taters? Sounds like some kind of weed or something.  Certainly no sane person would eat a weed. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Quote from: Gary_C on May 02, 2010, 04:23:42 PM
Well first of all DanG, why were you watching that CBS left wing network. Were you missing Katie Couric?  :D

But more important, wouldn't that casserole be even better with some taters instead of them there grits?  ??? ???

:D :D

Well Gary, it was either that or cartoons.  You bunch didn't have nothing to say, so I was bored.  I have my feelings about Ms. Couric, but will reserve them for a more appropriate audience, perhaps in a PM. ;) ;D

Now as far as the grits vs taters controversy is concerned, I really feel sorry for you deadheads that don't have both.  Ya see, I eat taters a lot too...I love'em.  In fact, my Bride made a batch of tater salad today, and I had some French fries at lunch.  A good baked tater is something good to eat, and smashed taters make a good container for gravy.  Taters au cheese is a real treat too, but none of it compares to a really good puddle of grits.  The only thing I can think of that's better than a bite of fried egg with some grits, and that's a bite of fried mullet with some grits.  You really otter try it sometime.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scgargoyle

I'll see your mullet 'n grits, and raise it with shrimp 'n grits. Now we're talkin'!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

DanG

I'll go with the mullet thanks.  Shrimps make me puke, and I'd lose all my grits.

Tom

Supper tonight was fried catfish filets, grits and butter.  Aw-w-w-w--w-w-- Man was it good.

CHARLIE

I like fried Bream, grits and hushpuppies. I like the Bream fried crisp so I can crunch down on the fins. They're gooood. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WDH

Second day grits formed into patties and sauted in butter ain't bad either  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Yikes, they are ganging up on me. And no help for me from anyone while I was off working.  :) :)

Guess all the rest of the northern guys with taste buds left are afraid to speak up.  :D :D

Quote from: WDH on May 05, 2010, 12:56:19 AM
Second day grits formed into patties and sauted in butter ain't bad either  :).

But you left out the part about them being good, just ain't bad. If you left out the butter, would there be any taste at all?  :D :D

Quote from: DanG on May 02, 2010, 09:58:44 PM
I have my feelings about Ms. Couric, but will reserve them for a more appropriate audience, perhaps in a PM. ;) ;D

I hear ya DanG. But Diane Sawyer doesn't have such a hard edge.  ;D

WDH

Yep, turn your back to go to work and the grits show up on the back porch again :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Quote from: Gary_C on May 05, 2010, 02:51:14 AM
If you left out the butter, would there be any taste at all?  :D :D

Gary, how often do you eat a tater with nothing on it? ::)

Bill

DanG - Now you all made me hungry - and I hardly finished dinner just a couple hours ago. I think there may be some sweet tators in the fridge - mostly I like sweet tators more than the regular tators.  My sister even got me to try sweet tator chips ( someone was giving out some kind of promo packs and she got a handful ) - have to admit I kinda liked 'em after I got used to the idea but don't think I'll be buying 'em less they make them the same price as regular tator chips . 

Course some think my name is Mikey - cause I like everything on the plate.    ;D

Gary_C

Quote from: DanG on May 05, 2010, 09:15:12 PM

Gary, how often do you eat a tater with nothing on it? ::)

Couple times a week when I am working and staying at the job. I just take some frozen fries, preferably the crinkle ones and microwave them and just eat them hot out of the microwave with nothing on them. Occasionally put some ketchup on them, but not often any more.  ;D

DanG

Put the ketchup(NOT Heinz) on them.  It is actually a pretty wholesome food.  I sometimes eat steamed new potatoes with nothing on them.  They're almost as good as grits with nothing on them.

crtreedude

I will have to admit, if you bury grits in enough stuff so you can't taste them, they can be pretty good...  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

fishpharmer

Quote from: DanG on May 06, 2010, 12:39:31 PM
Put the ketchup(NOT Heinz) on them.  It is actually a pretty wholesome food.  I sometimes eat steamed new potatoes with nothing on them.  They're almost as good as grits with nothing on them.

amen.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Patty

No Heinz ketchup! Ha!  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

thecfarm

Gary,did not mean to leave you in your time of need.  :D  But when I saw the titled of this thread,I did not want to read it.I have better things to do than to talk about something that has no real cause in life.  :D  I'm waiting on the family turkey hunters this morning to come back and show me their bounty. Must be real bored to click on to this tread.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

Patty, you're using the term "served" rather loosely, aren't you? ::) :D :D

cfarm, it pains me to know that a nice guy like you is being deprived of one of life's true gastronomic joys, and I'm wondering what the reason could be.  Since we know that the grits themselves are good, and the only other ingredient involved is water, I can only conclude that you folks have some really crappy water up there. ::)

Gary_C

cfarm, glad to finally have some assistance.  :D

But I think I get it now. This grits thing is something like a secret society or secret handshake. These guys don't admit in public that they hate those things, but behind closed doors they all say "ugh, those things are awful. If it wasnt for tradition, we couldn't eat them either. It's best to doctor them up in order to be at all palatable."

It's kind of like the Norwegians and Lutefisk except that I am part Norwegian and I and my father before me always said openly "ugh, that lutefisk is awful."   :D :D :D

thecfarm

There goes the stocks on Poland Spring Water.
We had a thread on this a while ago when I was siting at an Amish friend's table and those grits were coming around the table like Dale Earnhardt going down the straight away before turn 3.   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gary_C

:D :D :D

We got em on the run now. Or maybe they all got the runs.   8)

jjmk98k

Well, has anyone made this and if so, how was it?

and why the objection to Heinz??? the ONLY Ketchup...
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

DouginUtah

Heinz = John Kerry's wife.  :D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

jjmk98k

Oh Dang, i forgot about that..... but growing up outside of Pittsburgh... its the ONLY brand for us...

now I'm bummed.
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Tom

You can use Hunt's and still have a big "H" on the table.   :D

Jeff

We use Brooks Catsup, although at times it is hard to find.  It's a Tangy catchup.  I buy Brooks catsoup mostly because it works best in recipes. I personally use very little ketchup as a condiment.

Besides, they have the biggest bottle.
http://www.catsupbottle.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jjmk98k

Hum... now I have to find a new Ketchup... Hunts... eeww

Id rather just dunk stuff in BBQ sauce, some flavor that way!

Jeff, is the Brooks a local thing? I never saw that brand before...but i see they sell online....
Jim

Jeff

I think it must be pretty regional, even around here its hit and miss who has it.
A link on that same website might give a little more info
http://www.catsupbottle.com/faqs.html

jjmk98k

Hum, guess Ill hafta order some to try out....
Jim

WDH

thecfarm,

It is obvious from your post that you harbor a deep seated grits curiosity :D.

Gary_C

But curiosity is what killed the cat.   ::)

Be careful here thecfarm, they might be trying to do you in with some of them grits. Those secret societies can be devious.   :D :D

thecfarm

Been singled out before on here.   ;D  I'm ready for the next onslaught.  :D 

WDH

Hey, you are my favorite grits basher  :D  :D.

MFinity

Quote from: Gary_C on May 05, 2010, 02:51:14 AM
Guess all the rest of the northern guys with taste buds left are afraid to speak up.  :D :D

"Northern guy" here. Still recovering from the shock.  :o
Maybe when my fingers have stopped twitching so bad...  ;D

Kas

Hey, I recognize that catsup bottle.  It's DanG near right in my back yard. Well, it would be if my backyard was five or ten miles deep.

But I do drive by it most every week.

Collinsville, IL.

Brooks no longer processes there, but the town and Brooks, still maintain the bottle.
Scott

Burlkraft

Beenthere has his own catsup bottle down at The Rox.

I think it's called Melinda's or sumpthin' like that.

He walks in and on the bar without a word being said is a can...no glass...of Diet Pepsi and the bottle of Melinda's  ;D  ;D  ;D

Then Tom says ,"Christine's fan club is here!"

Then we have burgers   musteat_1 musteat_1 musteat_1 musteat_1

Mmmmmmm burgers......  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Uhhh does Mrs' Beenthere know about Christine....and if she doesn't how much is it worth for me not to say anything. ;D

Burlkraft

I don't think Mrs. Beenthere's got anything to worry about.   ::)  ::)  ::)   We just gotta be nice to her so we get some decent service.

Christine may look all cute and innocent, but underneath I'm sure she has a pair of horns and a DanG sharp pitch fork!! teeter_totter teeter_totter

We both feel pretty sorry for Mr. Christine. He was such a good young man too.......

Then of course Beenthere starts pushin' her buttons......... ::) ::) ::)

And I gotta smooth it out  :D :D :D

fishpharmer

For the last few days I have been craving Grits Casserole.  Yesterday morning I woke up early and fixed a big pot of grits.   I used two cups.  Then I cooked up some patty deer sausage (from duaghters deer ;D) and broke it up into little chunks.  Then twelve eggs went in with the hot grits.  The sausage chunks were mixed with the gritty eggs, then poured in a casserole dish.  This was topped with grated cheese.  I baked it for 30 minutes at 375.   It may not look good to you.  Let me tell you it tasted great ;D ;D

WDH

Now that all those Northern frozen types that are withstanding the big blizzard are snowbound, maybe their grits sensibilities will soften a bit  :).

Then again, maybe not  :D.

Fish,

That looks tasty and probably makes DanG crave some fried mullet on the side. 

fishpharmer

A nice hot bowl of grits would warm em right up. :)

I could go for some fresh fried mullet on the side myself.  No mullet here.  Guess I will settle for fried catfish :)

Magicman

All that baby needs is eating..... digin_2
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Yea, I'd have Nooo problem eating on that.  :)

sandhills

Now...what part of that isn't suppose to look good? ???  Hope you all enjoy it, I gotta make me one of those :)

Burlkraft

Mmmmm that look awesome FF   8) 8) 8)

Norm

Now that looks darn good James!

Raider Bill

Only Grits I ever liked were in a grit/shrimp casserole. Looked somewhat like Ol Fish's there and very tasty.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

isawlogs

It sure does look good, them grits would taste like eggs and deer sausage I am sure of that .  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Whats so bad about that?  ;D

thecfarm

Why ruin a dozen eggs,cheese and deer sausage??

isawlogs

Exactly!!!   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

We are going to have stop talking grits or thecfarms blood pressure will get too high  :D.  His grits waiver has not expired yet, but you can't be too careful  ;D.

Magicman

We feed our chickens grits to make them lay those good eggs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Shrimp and grits and a bottle of bubbly, mighty fine.  Oh, and some good bread with it to sop.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Well I like cornbread with my coffee. But it has blueberries or raspberries and a dash of nutmeg. That's about as far as I take anything gritty. As Magic said, grits is for chickens. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 03, 2011, 07:47:16 PM
As Magic said, grits is for chickens. ;D :D 
You turned that one back around on me.   :)  Either quick thinking for you or slow thinking for me.   :-\  Anyway, I asked for it, so feed me grits and listen for my cackle.

BTW, I did have grits, egg, biscuits, and pear preserves for supper.   digin1

Chris Burchfield

I prefer my grits with country ham and redeye gravy.  I have put a piece of bologna on the bottom, grits in the middle and cheese on top.  Couple of em in the microwave makes for a good lunch break.  I told the sons when they were young I was eating flying saucers.  Ever since, they'd gobble em up.   :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

isawlogs

There ya go , they need be camouflaged to be eatin'  :D :D :D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Anything that has to be microwaved hasn't much taste when it comes out. Unless it's the cardboard flavour your going for. :D ;) ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!