iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken cooking wood fired grill

Started by Ironwood, May 02, 2010, 11:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I am building a 24" diameter 5 1/2' long wood fired (w/ gas assist) chicken grill. I have been tasked by one of our family friends to do this. I have the 3/8" walled pipe the various stainless pipe for the bushings to rotate the internal stainless woven wire that will hold the chicken (rotated only every few minutes by hand). I will also have a counter weight to help in lid raising. The chicken and rotating assembly will travel "over center" to allow for loading unloading of the wood and chicken. It will have a propane assist to help start the fire and get quick heat if needed. I also will provide draft controls on the two "Stacks" and the lower assembly to feed the fire. I am thinking two vertical stacks (6" dia. pipe w/ dampers) and two homemade draft controls on the front "thirds" of the half 24" pipe. I want this to be a 'once and you'll never need to replace it job.

Any thoughts or experience you folks could offer?

Thanks Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

LeeB

Ya gotta use what you got sometimes, but 30 or 36" would be better. Half of 24" for the rotisserie ain't very much.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ironwood

Yeah, I hear you. I did the math and it should be good enough. I will be keeping it tight to the "ceiling" that's for sure.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

scsmith42

Hand cranking will get old in a hurry, plus it has the potential to burn the chicken.  I think that I'd check to see what type of gear motors that Surplus Center has and incorporate something into the design.  Seems to me that anywhere between 1 - 3 rpm would work best, and if you need it to be mobile you can use a 12V motor / battery coupled with a 120V battery charger.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

Your drawing shows it split all the way round. That would mean the roticerie would move whith the lid being opened. Might want to think about that one. You could also lower the rod an inch or two if you leave the ends solid.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ironwood

Lee,

I guess if it rotates you can still load the wood in too, HMMM glad you said that.

Scott,

I need to ask the cook, point taken. I thought just seering on each side was the goal, but they will be EXTREMELY busy when this is occurring. So, point taken, and 110V power is right there. I have gear reductions also,..........Got me thinking boys, that's what I had in mind.

Ironwood 8)

Thank You Sponsors!