iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 044 Price?

Started by jteneyck, May 01, 2010, 10:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

How much would you pay for a used 044?  Said a little differently, if you own a 044 how much would you let it go for?  I've got some smaller saws, and one bigger one, but nothing in the 70 - 75 cc range, and a 044 might fit my needs about right.   Thanks.   

boobap

I gave $350 for one that was running, but pretty "used up" although it came with "double dawgs" and a 3/4 wrap handle. I had to completely rebuild it: bearings, seals, rings, clutch, carb kit, gaskets, paint...said and done it is a brand new MS440 for roughly $525. Even for a great condition used saw "I" would never pay more than around $500 - $550...just me though...

chainsawr

www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

Cut4fun

I have seen the older 10mm 044's sale for $200 all the time.

timber tramp

I'm a fan of the 044's, the last one I bought off Craigslist was $350.00. I've seen a few go for $500.00. As far as what I'd sell mine for, I'm thinking probably about a grand. ;) That should be enough to keep anybody from wanting to buy it. ;D   I've also seen some Husky 372's priced similarly.  :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

jteneyck

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I actually was considering the 371-371XP, as well, since I have a 385XP that I love and has given me no trouble whatsoever for 5+ years of lumber milling and occasional bucking of 30+ inch logs.  One (372XP) in what looked to be pretty good shape went for about $300 on E-bay recently.  But I'm thinking the 044 might better serve my bucking needs with what I understand to be better low end performance.  So I'm hoping to come by one in good shape for around $300 - $400.  I don't mind having to do some work on it, but if I have to do a complete rebuild I would want to get the saw for much less.  We'll see.  Thanks again.  And if anyone has an 044 they want to get rid of for what I'm willing to pay send me a PM. 

Rocky_J

Why would you think the 044 would have better low end performance than a 372xp?

And please, define 'low end performance' as it applies to chainsaws. We aren't talking about a truck being able to pull a trailer uphill from a stop sign.

jteneyck

I have only had a Stihl saw of my own for a short time.  The saws I've had for a long time are two small Shindaiwa's (great saws by the way - 20+ years with nothing more than a couple of carb kits and fuel pick-up tubes and filters) and a Husky 55 Rancher (my problem child), and 5 years ago I got a 385 XP.  In running the 55 Rancher against a MS-290 it always seemed like the Husky only cut well when it could maintain max rpm's, while the Stihl would still cut well even when running substantially below top end rpm.  Both saws were running similar chains and had the same bar length.  I've seen other Stihl's (a 460 Mag, I believe) that showed similar ability to keep pulling well in a heavy cut at less than max. rpm.  Maybe my observations are off, but that's how I saw it.  Don't get me wrong, I love my 385XP, and I'm sure I would be happy with a 372XP as well.  

Cut4fun

I happen to know a guy that has a woods ported 441 and a modded 460 FS. Lives out west for $500 each ready to go.

The guy that has the 044's and 440's was $250 for PHO and $300 with 20" b+c.

VTLogSlayer

Payed $350 for mine last year from a friend, runs like a champ.
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Rocky_J

Quote from: jteneyck on May 02, 2010, 01:29:16 PM
 In running the 55 Rancher against a MS-290 it always seemed like the Husky only cut well when it could maintain max rpm's, while the Stihl would still cut well even when running substantially below top end rpm.
So, a comparison between a couple small homeowner saw models applies to the 372XP how?  ???

jteneyck

As I said: 
QuoteMaybe my observations are off, but that's how I saw it.  Don't get me wrong, I love my 385XP, and I'm sure I would be happy with a 372XP as well. 
And since I've never run nor even seen a 372XP run I have no basis for how to judge that saw.  I've heard many good things about it, and if it's anything like my 385XP it would probably be durable, easy to maintain, and not need much maintenance anyway.  But  Stihl sold a ton of 044's and I've never heard anybody curse one, so they must be OK too.  An arborist friend of mine (see, a real pro) has a 440 magnum that he bought used and loves it.  I've watched him cut 30 inch oak trees and it just pulls and pulls.  Very impressive.  Truth be told, I'm sure I'd be happy with either a 372XP or an 044/440, and either one I find in good shape at a fair price is what I'll buy. 
Cut4Fun, I haven't forgotten your posting, and I may get back to you.  Thanks.

timber tramp

My cuttin' partner runs a 372XPW, I'm still running my old 044. A 372 will cut with (or maybe out cut) an 044. I'm not trying to steer you away from the 044, it's a great saw, but, if you could find a better deal on a 372, I'd jump on it.   :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Trax

There is an 044 on the Albany NY Craigslist right now for $250 W/case

http://albany.craigslist.org/tls/1722695251.html

Sthil saw with 20" bar and new chain, its a beast 044mag .must sell 518-577-8697  sell 250.00

Thank You Sponsors!