iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Critters are back

Started by pineywoods, May 01, 2010, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

The Dang spiders are back. Last fall, I installed a motion activated video survielance system on my mill and shop. The cameas are a little warm to the touch plus they have a bunch of infra-red leds for night vision. The spiders love them. They sit on the camera and wave a leg in front of the camera lens. Drives the motion detecting software nuts. When cold weather came, the problem went away. Now they are back. Anybody have any suggestions for keeping them off my cameras? I've tried every kind of insect repellent I can find, nothing helps. There's got to be something spiders don't like..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

JohnG28

Ive used plain old Raid insect killer for spiders in an apartment before. They didnt seem to come around for a while after that
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Holmes

If you can close the area up try bug bombing, maybe evan 2 times, a week apart. If you can not close the area up bug bombing may still help. It lasts for a couple of months. I've had problems with lady bugs , spiders and hornets and it's helped a lot. Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Jeff

Osage orange is supposed to be a natural spider repellent.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

So is a brick, if administered properly.  ;D

LeeB

Quote from: Tom on May 01, 2010, 01:46:46 PM
So is a brick, if administered properly.  ;D

You're killing me Tom. I needed some humor and got it in spades.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Actually the thought of a spider waving like Charlotte to the camera cracked me up too.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

chain

We've caught dozens and dozens of spiders with glu-boards. Also caught two garter snakes, two lizards, several mice and untold numbers of other no-name critters.

beenthere

Quote from: pineywoods on May 01, 2010, 11:22:41 AM
The Dang spiders are back...........
Anybody have any suggestions for keeping them off my cameras? I've tried every kind of insect repellent I can find, nothing helps. There's got to be something spiders don't like..

If the brick doesn't work..... :D :D

I have had very good results with the Ortho Home Defense spray.

It works (for me) on critters that walk or crawl across it. Does great with the Asian beetles, spiders, wasps, ants, wire worms, daddylonglegs, etc.  Says it should last several weeks. I reapply about every two weeks.

Only thing I've found that works good on the Asian beetles.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Have you tried issuing an ID card yet? :-\

pineywoods

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would have used a brick or fly swat a long time ago, only the cameras are mounted on top of a 20 ft pole. Plus,the buggers  dis appear as soon as it gets daylight. I got a real nice 15 second video of a pair of dandy longlegs mating.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

maple flats

Well you can't post it on here, we are a family oriented forum.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

nas

Quote from: maple flats on May 01, 2010, 08:03:57 PM
Well you can't post it on here, we are a family oriented forum.
Well apparently the spiders were family oriented too! ;D :o
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Chuck White

I could put up with the spiders easier than the visitor we had a few weeks ago.

Seems like every Spring we have a skunk that wants to make it's home under the addition on the South side of our house.

She digs down under the skirting and sets up house-keeping.

This year we caught her in a box trap before she had her litter.

My brother came over and hauled her about 3-4 miles away, don't think she'll be back.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

Finally figured out why the spiders like my cameras. Noticed most of them had little round shiny spots on one or 2 legs. Eggs. The DanG critters are using the infrared lamps on the cameras to hatch their eggs... Still havent found anything to get rid of them, but do have a new lead. They have to crawl up the pole to get to the cameras, must be coming back down at daybreak. gonna try soaking a rag in diesel fuel and tying it around the pole.  Granny used to tie a kerosene soaked string around the legs of the pie safe to keep the ants out..

bandmiller2

Piney I think you've hit on the solution as spiders don't fly they have to climb,mayby a ring of tanglefoot or grease would last longer than the fuel that grease would really fiss em off. Coons would shimmy up the pipe pole to get at my bird feeder I put the rankest old black grease on the pipe problem solved, would have loved to watch him licking it off his front feet.Moth ball will deter almost any critter but your pole is too high to keep replacing them.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!