iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand held CB radios

Started by SwampDonkey, May 01, 2010, 08:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I was wondering if anyone uses the hand held type CB radios like the Cobra HH 38 WX ST?

http://www.cobra.com/products//hh-38-wx-st-hand-held-cb-radio-with-weather-soundtracker

I ordered one with a 27" whip antenna and a wall charger. Comes with a cigarette lighter adapted charger.

If anyone has a hand held, how do you like it? I was needing one for out in the back 40 to hear very wide trucks on narrow roads.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

They must be better today, but I have tried several times to use them  here in the swamp since the 1980's.  I wanted something that the boys could use to stay in touch with one another and the house.  I wasn't buying toys, but supposedly handheld 2way radios with several channels.   Up on the clear roads they did pretty good and had a range of about 3 miles.  Down in the swamp, you might as well  have turned the danged things off.   Ranges dropped to as little 1000 feet, and sometimes less.

SwampDonkey

Tom, we have two-way radios out on the thinning blocks. These aren't CB as far as we can tell.  Each guy works his own strip which could be 150 feet wide and 1500 feet long. I was 900 feet and behind a knoll Friday and buddy could pick me up out in his pickup fine. Only thing was I discovered my new radio came preset for privacy, turned that off and I could pick him up. The longer antenna I ordered with the CB should have a longer range than the rubber one included. Can also hook to outside antenna, but I didn't want that because they rub the paint off your car top. These things can pickup 15 miles away if your on clear high ground, I suspect 1 mile in woods. There is an antenna to mount to glass to, seems a popular purchase on the site I ordered my radio from, and out of stock.

Years and years ago, like 30, we had cheap $20 walkie talkies and we could pickup truckers 4 miles away on Route 1 in Maine. We live just across the line and up on high ground. I don't think they could hear us, the reception we had was staticy most times but clear enough to make out "pistol pack'in momma" who was always flurt'n with the truckers. :D Mom knew this woman, and them truckers had no idea who they was dealing with. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

We use handheld Kenwood radios that we use for work that sometimes will reach as far away as 10 miles or so.  When we need to reach further distances we use our wired in radios that will reach up as high as 40 miles, but that is from wired in radio to wired in radio.  These radios are all multi channel but at the same time are not the same as a common CB radio that truckers use.  I believe they use FM frequencies.  We also have remote shutdowns that are connected to the radios as well.  These are to shut down our pumps in an emergency.  Our radios are used 24 hrs/day 7 days/week from mid April till freeze up.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Tom

We used to use PRC6's in the 50's.   You had to holler at the guys in the next foxhole to wave if they could hear you.  :D

Slabs

Quote from: Tom on May 01, 2010, 01:45:44 PM
We used to use PRC6's in the 50's.   You had to holler at the guys in the next foxhole to wave if they could hear you.  :D

Now just what in the Sam Hill is a Navy guy doing in a foxhole?
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SwampDonkey

The skipper must've run him off the boat. :D

Tom

I've been around the block a time or two, Slabs.  :D

Samuel

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 01, 2010, 10:40:46 AM
staticy most times but clear enough to make out "pistol pack'in momma" who was always flurt'n with the truckers.

That brought a smile to my face.  She worked on a potato harvester years ago that Grampy Black was operating and she actually backed into the side of his pickup and tore her little car all to pieces.   :D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

mr T

Swamp donkey Is that a old style dog sled in your post? I bought 2 uniden 340xl at wal mart years ago Worked well for about 5 miles with rubber antenna   Didnt have built in charger was hard on batterys

SwampDonkey

Mr. T, it's more of a hand sled, but it is light enough that I think dogs can haul it. I stand on the back and tread on the crusty snow and sometimes go down the road after a fresh snow. ;D Dog sleds are smaller and lower to the ground for running on packed snow. I think my sled might weigh 55 lbs, I built it last winter.

You can go to this link and see the whole thing unfold. ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41243.0.html

Ron Scott

I have two older GE's with the short rubber antenna. Have one hooked up to an outside antenna in my pick up. Use them mostly for talking to the loggers and woodhaulers especially when coming in and out of the one way two tracks we're hauling on.

They work ok, have 40 channels, but it depends upon your location somewhat.
~Ron

mr T

Great job on the sled SD It looks a lot like the old style Alaskan sleds With 4 big dogs you would have a good ride We had sled dogs for 20yrs  over 20 at one time  have 6 left  now all retired I still have 4 sleds For a brake they came with aluminun bar brakes I added 2ft of artic cat studded track hooked to stanchions with small chain   Works great can steer by shifting wt on track Got a lot of links to sled supplies if you need any

SwampDonkey

Mr T, I did notice your in Maine. I do have some links from a site or two in your state. I think the brakes I've seen are about $85 a set. But, I would probably just get a local fab'er  to make me something. I really don't need them as I'm not building them to sell for dog sledding.

SwampDonkey

Well, if the sun and the moon line up just right today, I might have my radio. It's made about 4 trips between Fredericton and here this week already. No local pickup centre for UPS or Purolator, can't even call the driver. Have to call some call centre to arrange alternative drop off where someone is home. What a stupid setup! Nobody heard of the mail service I guess. These courier outfits think you just live across the street at their convenience. ::)  When SameDay carried UPS, the driver would call or leave it at Day and Ross Transport so I could go pick up my stuff.

GaryinMississippi

Quote from: Tom on May 01, 2010, 09:10:40 PM
I've been around the block a time or two, Slabs.  :D

Well, next time around, watch out for those potholes foxholes! :D

SwampDonkey

My Cobra CB finally arrived.  ;D

Ron Scott

A good CB from what I know of them.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!