iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New here and searched and searched Manual Mill log dog

Started by nchsa861, April 30, 2010, 08:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nchsa861

Guys I have a new lt28, and I woould have to say I cut some crazy stuff with this thing....I do a lot of burls and shorts and twisted up stuff....Can you show me some pictures of your home made log dog / log holders? I want to try and make something up to help me hold some crazy shapes....I use the board method and and the pole clamp, but really would like to put a folding log clamp every 18=20"...I do wood art and instrument cuts a lot so I can't risk movement.....I figure the more holders /  less risk of movement

Thanks in advance for the help....

fishpharmer

Welcome to forestry forum nchsa861.  I cannot give you a good answer, some one here can.  I have found that "where there is a will, there is a way." 8)  It certainly pays to research the best way.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Good people and good stuff here.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

nchsa861

Thanks guys for the welcome if anyone can give a quick easy log dawg to make, this would make my weekend....I have a huge big leaf maple burl to saw up into blanks and table tops...Thanks in advance

thecfarm

nchsa861,welcome to the forum.I have a Thomas sawmill.I have some pictures that might help you out.The bunks are movable and this allows me to move the anywheres on the rails.I can saw a piece of stove wood if needed.

The dog itself slides on a piece of green tubing,the silver part is the dog.This will move up and down to hold the log.In this picture the long silver part is rotated left and right and the short side is what bits onto the log.The whole dog will slide back and forth real easy,but when it bits on to log it cannot be moved.These have always worked.Nothing to crank or threads to keep clean.Many ideas more ideas out there too.There are a few more pictures in my gallery.Check them out if needed.Maybe you can use this on your WM.Would like to see pictures of some of your wood and finished products.Click onto help at the top of the page and there is instructions on how to download pictures on here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kelLOGg

I copied robnrob's ddsign and it really works well.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

nchsa861

Kelog, That looks really good...Anyway you could help me build one or how you found the pieces and how it actually works and cams?
I should also mention really 20" dia logs and under seem to give me the most problems....They seem to want to be pulled off the bed against the carriage toward the end....I do a lot of naturla edge and flitch type cuttings and really have trouble not getting the log to roll on me...I'm using 1-1/4 blades with 1.1T....Do you guys think this might be a little aggresive?

kelLOGg

Here is the post that got me started. I modified it a bit and you may need to also to fit the LT28. You need welding skills and it is quite easy to make. I'm a regular visitor at the steel scrap yard where I get all of my steel for projects. Where are you located?

Bob

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41852.0.html
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!