iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with these short logs?

Started by ForestMan, April 18, 2010, 11:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

One thing that you do not want to do is seem too prosperous.  If your tree cutter gets the idea that you may be making a few bucks, he may  start charging you for the logs.  Sometimes it's best to be "closed mouth".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ForestMan

I was asking him (the tree service guy) to cut longer logs, about 8 feet ideally, or mabe 4 feet for flooring.  He hesitated about that.  A few days went by and I had not heard from him.  I called and said I found a market for the shorter logs.  I said the longer logs would be great, but I could work with the shorter logs, too.  I didn't say what the market was.

We just got our first two gallons of anchorseal today.  We will be cutting short logs tomorrow into turning blanks, coating them with anchorseal, and then putting them up for sale on our website.  I just got it paypal enabled and everything is working. 

I may advertise on craigslist, mabe ebay. 

I saw that nice hardwood and said to myself, there has got to be a market out there for that.  Thanks for all the ideas and support.  I'll let you know how things progress from here.  Hopefully I'll start seeing some sales pretty soon.

I was working with another tree service guy that did sell firewood and logs.  He was not giving me what I asked for when I was paying for it, so now that I found a free source, I guess I should not be that picky.  Still, I'm glad to have found a use for all that good wood.  I still might make short lumber from some of the longer pieces.  It would only be 2 - 4 foot lumber though.  Maybe there is a market out there for that.

There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

SwampDonkey

Here is a pre-finished phone table made of ash and walnut, just to show ya you can make stuff from wood shorter than 2 foot. The longest pieces are 18", the table legs. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RENOV8R

I'm going to try and get some pictures on here soon, but we accidentally cut some black walnut (24" dia) to just under 5' long.  My buddy Dave wanted some 3" thick "coasters" to make tables.  We stood the stump up on a peice of plywood and opened the throat all the way and got some 28" diameter coasters  table tops.  This was last week.  We'll see how much cracking develops, but I'll tell you what...I've never seen such beautiful grain!  Don't know if n this would be an option for you, but I'm going to do this a few more times.

ForestMan

Here is the box elder logs I cut up this past weekend.  I think I only cut three short logs to get these blanks.  I made some bowl blanks, some pen blanks, and a few slabs.

They opened up very nicely I think.

This log barely made it onto the mill.

Some of the one inch boards that got cut on the tablesaw into pen blanks.

This board has a nice flame to it.

A bookmatched set of bowl blanks, one deeper than the other.  More pictures of this later.

A part of my haul for the day.

It was a long day.

This is probably the nicest blank of the bunch.

Anchorsealed blank.

One of my slabs.

An interesting cut.  Still has the pith though.

Bookmatched pieces ready for anchorseal.

A sampling of the pen blanks I got out if the wood.  I made these 1" x 1" x 6".  Some were a little larger or smaller, some had some burn marks from the table saw until we bought a new blade, but all that should turn away anyway.

All in all, it was a very full day.  I'm now ready to load up some pictures onto craigslist and offer them for sale.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Carpenter

Wow, those should make some nice looking pens! 

Magicman

Box elder is a very pretty and also unusual species.  I've enjoyed following your progress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

And to think, I have hated the box elder as it grew around my property as a weed, i can see that i have a use for it, rather than the bonfire pile. I will keep my eyes open for the red in the logs. Great thread I have been following this with great interest.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Box elder grows on my creekbanks and anywhere else that's not clipped.  There are a couple with big burls.  Wonder what's inside of them  ???

Carpenter

What does a boxelder tree look like? 

DansSawmill

from one of the guys in joe's cnc forum

* Delete message
   * Quote message

In this thread Forestman wants to know what he could use all his short logs for. I think they would make excellent blanks for making electric guitars . The blanks are usually 13 by 17 inches by 2 inches thick and fetch a good price for nice wood. I have lurked on the site for a while and wouldn't post often if I registered. could you pass this info along?

there ya go :)
never do know how far your ideas go
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

Thank You Sponsors!