iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ever hit a stone?

Started by woodmills1, April 29, 2010, 10:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

didn't think a blade could dive that far, just broke it and slid it out of the cut

slicing a hollow log to fit the multi tek and man a new sound....first mill in 95 thought I had heard all the possible sounds.  Then I see that rock in the ant eaten interior

no wonder the blade is 7 inches down in 12 inces forward.

GOTTA LOVE IT
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

Yup, in a crotch.

Probably had been thrown up there and the tree grew around it.... >:(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

I've hit them in the bark, in the crotches and in the stumps too.  If you don't see them, the blade is the only thing that will find them.  Ouch!!

It's amazing the things you find inside of a stump.  People lean all manner of things there, or throw them there to get them out of the way. A brick will really do havoc.  :D

woodmills1

amazing that trees will just grow around stuff.  I leaned some angle iron up against the big scarlet maple in the side yard and 4 years later I hadda use the chain saw to break it loose

this week I picked up some poplar, scratch that, aspen............39 inches at the bottem and get this 27 years old.......don't park the jeep next to that one. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

timberjackrob

the worst thing i ever hit was a eletric fence insulator in a white oak log.i was sawing at a big sawmill then using a circle saw teeth and rings went everywhere.so far the worst thing ive hit with the wm was some barbed wire :D ;D
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Left Coast Chris

I hit a volcanic rock in a Manzinita burl towards evening time.  Lots of sparks then no more cutting ability........ ouch  :o
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Brucer

Yep, I hit one -- twice. It got hammered into the bark of a Douglas-Fir and driven sideways down the tree so there was nothing showing on the surface. Hit it first with the debarker blade, thought to myself, "Now that's a strange sound", and then hit it with the band blade. I was a little slow on the uptake on that one.

It took 3 teeth right off the debarker blade (they're brazed on) and pretty much stripped the band blade >:(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ron Wenrich

I had that problem this winter.  I hit about stones in logs about 4 times.  They were tulip poplar and were logged when we got our first freeze.  They were driven in past the bark.  I figured that they had stone on the landing and when they drove over the logs or pushed the logs for loading that the frozen ground wouldn't push the rocks down any further, but the unfrozen wood would.  After the logs were frozen, then there was no problem.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sawyerfortyish

I hit a hunk of concrete someone had poured into a hollow spot in a large white oak. It was one of those big trees you expect to hit something but had sawn clean. I had a 8x161/4 cant and was making 2 8x8s out of it. So it was the last cut and I was moving right along til I got 3' from the end. I plowed right into the cement it stoped the carrige dead my reaction was to slam it in reverse that took the teeth off the bull gear down under. Man what a mess. The hunk of cement was about 6" in dia and 2' long and I had sawed almost a foot into it. It ate the bits, shanks and some of the shoulders of the saw.

stonebroke

Quote from: Sawyerfortyish on April 30, 2010, 06:58:42 AM
I hit a hunk of concrete someone had poured into a hollow spot in a large white oak. It was one of those big trees you expect to hit something but had sawn clean. I had a 8x161/4 cant and was making 2 8x8s out of it. So it was the last cut and I was moving right along til I got 3' from the end. I plowed right into the cement it stoped the carrige dead my reaction was to slam it in reverse that took the teeth off the bull gear down under. Man what a mess. The hunk of cement was about 6" in dia and 2' long and I had sawed almost a foot into it. It ate the bits, shanks and some of the shoulders of the saw.

Ouch!!!  It is one thing to hurt a small bandsaw blade but it is much worst to have something like that happen to a circular saw. I bet it cost you a pretty penny by the time you got it all fixed.

Stonebroke

jim king

I have hit a horseshoe, a brick and half a dozen bullets

Jeff

I hit a rock that was over 6 inches in diameter grown into the base of a beech tree. The log never made it to the headsaw, as I hit it first with the vertical edger. It ripped two of the blades completely from the arbor and destroyed the 3rd. I'm sure glad it never made it to the headsaw.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!