iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which saw ?

Started by nixon, April 29, 2010, 07:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nixon

395XP , or  MS 660 ? Truthfully ,it's a vanity saw . I just want something in that CC range . .
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

JohnG28

Well if its a vanity thing, then get both, what could be better than that.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Rocky_J

For ease of use and long term reliability, I'd recommend the MS660. It has an inboard clutch and the chain adjustment is accessed from the side. The 395XP is a great saw but has not been updated and brought into this century. It has an outboard clutch so sprocket changes are a hassle and the chain adjustment is up front between the bar and the spiky dogs. And it's not between the spikes, but right next to one. So your screwdriver needs to be very long with a small handle because it's right next to the bar as you turn the screw. I cannot use the same scrench that I use on the rest of my saws to adjust the chain on my 395. It's a fantastic saw but not very user friendly.

boobap

Stihl, Stihl...always a Stihl!!  8)

logloper

Not to be contrary, but go with the 395. I have a 394 bought in 1997, and used hard. And abused. Hard. Still going, and still powerfull. Have done a fair bit of upkeep, but well worth it. I don't want to be the one packing it all day anymore. Very easy to work on, and good parts availability.

Ed

MS660.........
Add the dual port muffler cover, open up the primary muffler port and don't look back.

Ed

JohnG28

Ok, I do have to agree here too....seeing as you're looking for one, go with the ms660. 8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

nixon

Thanks for the responses .  I'm sure either of the saws would be very reliable .
I've a ms044 ,372 xp ,and a 346 xp . They have never failed me in any way .
The outboard clutch ,and front chain adjuster  do concern Me though . While they are NOT deal breakers , I do think that inboard clutches ,and side adjuster  are much more user friendly .
I guess My best bet is to just go inspect them both and go from there .
Again , thanks !
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

sawbob011

Quote from: Rocky_J on April 29, 2010, 07:53:00 PM
For ease of use and long term reliability, I'd recommend the MS660. It has an inboard clutch and the chain adjustment is accessed from the side. The 395XP is a great saw but has not been updated and brought into this century. It has an outboard clutch so sprocket changes are a hassle and the chain adjustment is up front between the bar and the spiky dogs. And it's not between the spikes, but right next to one. So your screwdriver needs to be very long with a small handle because it's right next to the bar as you turn the screw. I cannot use the same scrench that I use on the rest of my saws to adjust the chain on my 395. It's a fantastic saw but not very user friendly.

I have that same set up on one of my saws. I love that saw right until I have to make an adjustment to the bar, then I scornfully cuss at it and curse whoever thought of that design. With that fact alone Id go for the 660. Which would have been my suggestion any way, its a great saw.
Echo CS-400 started it all
011 AVT

pedro.mahon

Can anybody recommend a supplier for MS 660 that beats $1100 with 30" bar? ps my first post from UK!
Woodmizer LT 40 HD. Pegden oak Sawmill & Construction

sawbob011

with stihl saws being sold almost exclusively from certified dealers (I have seen a few online dealers NOT Stihl certified that I wouldnt trust) Im affraid your probably not going to find a difference price. At least not just looking online. I know if you go in and ask the dealer personally they sometimes have a few new or at least close to it with a reduced price tag. Its too bad they arent more widely available. Echo and Husquavarna are available at a half dozen different places here and thats just the stores Ive been in, and they all have different prices.
Echo CS-400 started it all
011 AVT

pedro.mahon

ok reserved at main dealer in Miami. Will keep posted with progress and hopefully limbs intact! Price $1044 total with 28" bar.
Woodmizer LT 40 HD. Pegden oak Sawmill & Construction

nixon

Well , in the end I didn't buy the MS 660 ,or the 395 XP . I wound up with a 390XP .
Hopefully , I've made the correct choice . ;)
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

peppone

if it's just for vanity...stihl ms 880 or husqvarna 3120xp...
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

Thank You Sponsors!