iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to milling

Started by tazz, April 29, 2010, 01:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazz

New co-owner of a Norwood Lumbermate MX34. Just finished the assembly and plan to try it out this evening. This is my first rodeo so any tips on sawing would be greatly appreciated. Will try to get some pics to post.

Magicman

Well good for you, and Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  There's a lot of good reading for new sawyers here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Welcome Tazz,just do it, be sure the log is stable not rocking double check that you are above metal mill parts.Look over the logs well, clean and strip bark on dirty areas,start slow and enjoy yourself use smarts when handling heavy logs and cants.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

Glad to have you here Tazz.  I look forward to hearing about your new MX34.  This is "THE PLACE" to learn about milling.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Lots of good people and info on this Forum.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

southpaw

Taz, welcometo FF your on your way to big  ;D's, be safe and you'll learn as you go.  8) 8) 8)

pasbuild

Find as many junk logs as you can and start cutting once you start making cuts you will see what you could have done different or see that your cut is exactly what you were looking for, the best teacher is experience  8)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

ely

post pics when you saw into your log stops or log dogs the first time. not wishing you bad luck my friend just trying to prepare you for it. :D
congrats on your new mill. im certain you will have a great time with it.

Ernie

Welcome Taz.  The best advice I can give you is to get someone else to do your offbearing ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Mike@Norwood

Welcome to the Norwood family and to the Forestry Forum.  If you have any questions at all, give us a shout.

Happy milling.

Mike@Norwood

thecfarm

tazz,welcome to the forum and the world of sawing.Don't try to saw too fast for starters.You need a Logrite peavey or cant dog.I prefer the point on the peavey.Sponsor on the left.Lots of info on here.What's all the lumber going to be used for?Need to sticker,dry it correctly too. What kind of logs are you sawing?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

So how did it go Tazz?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

The sun is still up somewhere, Jeff.  I'll bet he is still sawing.  :D :D

Mooseherder

Okay, it's dark and Tazz has been missing for 2 days.
You reckon he has lights on some where? :D

tazz

Sawed some red oak and it worked great. I learned several things right off the bat, like log placement and not backing out of a cut, this resulted in a slung blade. Thought I would check Norwood out on the claim that you can saw 1/16" veneer so I gave it a try and it worked.

fishpharmer

Glad to hear it went well.  Tazz, we would love to see pictures of that veneer.  My mill manufacturer wouldn't dare make a claim like that.  But he might try it. ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Quote from: tazz on May 04, 2010, 10:52:31 AM
Thought I would check Norwood out on the claim that you can saw 1/16" veneer so I gave it a try and it worked.

We've played that game here before. :)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2187.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Meadows Miller

Gday

Tazz welcome to the forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Yeah Ill Play Why Not  ;) :D ;D ;D i put one in the trash pile today 8"x16' by about 1/32 im doing 8x8"x16's for a shed out of logs that are just big enough and i reckon  ill get afew more tomorow  ;) and yeah i know i need Photographic Proof Fellas  ;)  :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sigidi

Yeah Tazz welcome to the forum, heaps of learning on here mate, stick around ;D ;)

Quote from: Meadows Miller on May 05, 2010, 08:50:07 AM
Gday

Tazz welcome to the forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Yeah Ill Play Why Not  ;) :D ;D ;D i put one in the trash pile today 8"x16' by about 1/32 im doing 8x8"x16's for a shed out of logs that are just big enough and i reckon  ill get afew more tomorow  ;) and yeah i know i need Photographic Proof Fellas  ;)  :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

Chris - no photos?... didn't happen!! ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!