iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loan A saw,never!!

Started by bandmiller2, April 29, 2010, 07:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Hard earned lesson never loan a chainsaw you'll get bit everytime.If the guy is a friend I'll go along with the saw and help him.Anyone that knows saws has his own,thems that don't will tear one up in an hour.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Did you just learn that lesson, how bad was your saw tore up.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Rocky_J

25 years of running saws with various tree companies has taught me that most people have no clue how to run a chainsaw. You'd think people that did tree work for a living might be better than the average Joe as far as saw skills but for the most part it simply isn't true. And anybody with decent saw skills wouldn't ask to borrow a saw anyway.

miking

Loaning is never a good idea, but if one of my helpers wants to saw I'll let them use my saws with supervision. They have to learn somehow and they might as well learn my way if they want to work for me. Then if they develop some skills, I'll say 'That's fine, now you need to go get your own saw'.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

chainsawr

That is what 'loaner' saws are for.  I've never had anybody damage one that wasn't honestly sorry about the mistake.  It is good to help people in a pinch who need it.
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

stonebroke

Think about the liability if somebody kills themselves with your saw.

Stonebroke

JohnG28

Im not too big on loaning out any of my tools, saws included.  I have no problem helping someone out when they need it though, just would rather be present than send my hard earned money off with someone.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Jeff

I loaned my saw just once to a neighbor as he said he had to make one quick cut and that was it.  I should have went with it.  Turned out the quick cut was to cut part of his old deck apart. Nails included.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RSteiner

There are three things I will not loan out, my tractor, my chainsaws, and my wife.  A friend asked if my wife could help her with some stuff and I said okay.  She came back tired and grumpy. :D

When ever any one asked to borrow something along that nature I tell them okay but I come with the deal and will help you with the project. 

Randy
Randy

Bibbyman

I've had people actually ask if they could borrow our sawmill!   :o

I told them if they were willing to put down a $50,000 deposit.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

boobap

My dad learned the hard way to never load out saws...even to his own son...me! it was only a little homlite 150, but they still don't fair well when a bobcat runs it over... :o that being said, i love my saws and want any excuse to use them, so if a friend asks to borrow it, the answer is usually yes, but i am the one operating it!  8)

bandmiller2

Ladylake Steve,I figured it out so many years ago I forget the particulars,mostly bent bar and severly rocked out chain.By all means if you loan give them your gas mix can  with B&C oil too.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

zzrcanuck

My first post here!!
On the topic of loaning saws, that's what my MS290 is for! ;D

JohnG28

Zzr, welcome to the forum, I think youll like it here.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

zzrcanuck

I've been lurking around here for quite a while,finally signed up!!
It's a great forum,already like it  :D

shinnlinger

Bibby,

I noticed a guy who rented out his LT 40 in the paper a while back.  Said he would come and set it up for you and leave you with some bands.  I thought that was pretty crazy and noticed he isn't advertising that service any longer....

As far as loaning a saw, if the person has never used a saw before and you simply lend them yours you are no friend.  The risk of them hurting themselves concerns me alot more than them hurting my saw.

ON the other hand I would probably lend one of mine to some one I knew had experience with saws, but funny I have never been asked by experienced sawyers....

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Rocky_J

The catch-22 is that if they have enough saw experience to not tear up your saw, then the would own their own saw. The fact that they don't have a saw is strong proof that they probably don't have much saw experience.

The other consideration is that I make my living with my saws. A common and wise rule of thumb among tradesmen is to never loan or pawn your tools. So it simply is not a consideration.

donny hochstetler

i'V  always said ,if you want to find out how many freinds you have, and who they , are buy a bucket truck,  anything from painting the barn, to getting stupid cats out of trees on the day before christmas ,  My motto for a small fee, i'll cut your tree , you want it you pay for it ,and no you can not use my bucket truck, chipper, saws ,ropes ,saddles  ect.  :)or grinders to much at stake

Ed

Loaning a saw out is a pretty general thing....
If it was someone that I felt would cut their fingers off with a dull handsaw...nope, ain't gonna happen.
Someone I know and trust, thats in a pinch or needs a bigger saw, no problem, as long as they don't ask for my 084..........

I'll add that any of my friends that do ask, want the saw oprerator also.  :D

Ed

JohnG28

Ill agree with that Ed, a few weeks ago a god friend had a large piece of Maple(I think) in his yard.  He didn't ask to borrow my saw, just asked if I'd mind coming over to cut it up and help split.  And I was happy to do so. ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

I don't loan anything with a motor in it and no wrenches. Shovel, wheel barrow, pick axe.....go for it.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

As a general rule I don't loan my saws . The rare exception to that rule is with a tree trimmer bud of mine who on rare occasions might need my 48" bar and a saw to run it .

On the other hand I have at my disposal his bucket truck and skid loader any time I need it so it's a far trade . Actually I have the whole crew if need be . 8)

buzzegray

SwampDonkey , great rule   - Don't lend it if it has a motor or engine.

LeeB

I loaned mine out to only on freind and it came back with a new chain and the old one sharpened. I know he will take care of it and if his hadn't birnt up on him he never would have dreamed  of using mine. He's a stihl man and I prefer Huskys.  ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: LeeB on May 01, 2010, 01:40:35 PM
He's a stihl man and I prefer Huskys.  ;D

Oh Yeah?  :-X

Well........I got both. :D :D Going for season 4 and 7 on two Stihl brush saws. Chainsaw (Husky) don't hardly get used, but I did do some yard clean up this week. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!