iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deep Water Horrizon blew out and sank.

Started by Woodchuck53, April 29, 2010, 05:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodchuck53

As most of you know I work in the Louisiana oil fields full time and lognsaw part time. A 2003 song by Trace Adkins about the drilling end of things came home this hitch. Pray for all but take a second and think about where the oil and fuel for our rigs come from. We lost eleven ordinary (fine) folks this week just trying to keep it turning to the right. We have a slick to clean up but that is secondary to the fathers, husbands and sons we lost. Stay focused and stay safe in your on endeavors. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Holmes

Hi Woodchuck53  I have a cousin in Lafayette , Harry W.  . He flies helicopter to and from the rigs. He has told me some stories about how dangerous it is working out there. You have a very hard and dangerous job. Did you take up logging and sawing because it's safer? :) :)   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Magicman

Many friends and relatives from my Brookhaven area work in the "Offshore Oil Patch".  Very tragic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

I knew you worked out there, Woodchuck, and I'm relieved to see you back on here.  I think there are several other Forumites who work the rigs, and I'm not sure if all hands are accounted for or not.  Prayers for the lost and their families are already going up.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodchuck53

Afternoon all, no Mr. Holmes I've been around mills all my life and knew it was a less expensive way to build my home. That being said I have a lot of sweat equity involved. I like to tinker so bought an old mill part American with some Corley thrown in and started sawing. I am in the process of rebuilding it from the ground up to have a tighter machine. I've put a few pictures in my gallery of what I have so for. Aside from that I have half the year off working 14 and 14, and have manage to get a little vacation time also. This allows me the time to pursue the things I really enjoy.

DanG I was thinking about that myself. There are several drilling people from our community including my son on land rigs around Shreveport. There are probably 40 or so production hands from my neck of the woods. I'm third generation and I started in 1972 and hope to get another 10 years from it. It's been a great living and some great experiences. Including two years in Africa.  But my heart is in central Louisiana under the tall pine trees.  Maybe we'll hear from some of the other guys.

Ya'll stay safe and think about the families we work so hard for. Go home tonight. I'll go for now. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!