iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer's Stellite blade.

Started by Bibbyman, April 28, 2010, 06:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

My wife the theater graduate would comment about a well-placed pause... so Bibby has our attention; now what's he going to do with it?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

ElectricAl

Looks like Bibbyman is giving me an education on how to ask the proper question.

He in deed answered the question I asked.

Ok,  let me try again.....

What is the price for a box of 15 blades?

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bibbyman

Quote from: ElectricAl on May 02, 2010, 06:22:52 PM
Ok,  let me try again.....

What is the price for a box of 15 blades?

ElectricAl

Now you've asked a question that there is no answer because as far as I know they come in singles or in boxes of five.

I was having a bit of fun with my short answer before so this time I'll give you the, "Long story long." version.

What I got was the price of per blade of a single .045 by 1-1/4" blade.  And as I remember it was $71 something and that was the price each when you bought a box of five.   So a box of five would be something over $355.00.  I didn't ask and was not told if that included shipping.  So yes,  I did hear a price but if you call and get a price on another size or quantity and the shipping is included, then you'll get some other price.  

The good news is,  the price looks to be about 2/3s what it was last summer when they were introduced.

You may go to their web page and pretend you're placing an order and see if it will price the blade that will fit your mill and the profile and thickness you think you want,  quantity, shipping and then get a price.

I just looked up a .045x1.25 by 7° balde part # BS3751587S and it was $69.00 per blade, 5 in a box at $345.00.   If you order 12 boxes (60 blades) the price comes down to $58.65 per blade and free shipping to lower 48 states.

To find the price of other sizes and lengths you need to expand the list by clicking on "View all blades" at the bottom of the blade selection page.  Then scroll to the bottom as the stellite blades are listed there - starting with BS.

http://www.woodmizerblades.com/bladeselector/index.aspx

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Even though Bibbyman is 250 miles away from me he still reaches out and jerks my chain.

But hey, what are friends for.   ;D

Thanks for the price.   ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Wintergreen Mountain

Thanks Bibbyman. Now i know why that grin is  on your face in the picture.     Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

backwoods sawyer

Pretending to buy saw blades ;D, sure we are :-X, just wait for the brown truck :o.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Bibbyman

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on May 02, 2010, 09:15:13 PM
Pretending to buy saw blades ;D, sure we are :-X, just wait for the brown truck :o.

I don't think there is much danger in actually placing an order.  The above link I listed gives you the blade prices without even getting starteed with the process of placing an order.
Sawing since '94

taw6243

I have 40 of the 7 degree stellite tipped blades and they are working out great. you can saw for days with one before it gets dull on normal logs or if you are sawing dry wood like untreated western red cedar powerpoles, resawing dry wide cuts in most hardwoods they will cut just great for a very long time, although I've went right from cutting wide dry hard maple to big tooth aspen and it would not cut that without cutting wavy. (maybe the blade was too dull for that wood) The cost is quite high for each one, but 1 blade per day or day and a half seems like a deal to me.

Tim
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

taw6243

I haven't Sharpened one on purpose yet, but I did start to sharpen one by mistake at 9 degree for about 4 teeth while getting sharpener set to sharpen what I thought was a 9 degree. The CBN cut just fine on those few teeth before I took it the blade off. I do have the 7 degree CBN for use when I'm ready to sharpen them. I ordered 3 CBN profiles with my sharpener. 4, 7, and 9 degree. I would recomend you try it again. They seemed to cut very well into my clamp head, about 3/4 " and only 6 teeth had the tips prety well wrecked, the rest of them looked almost undamaged. 

Tim
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

taw6243

The very first stellite blade I ordered was the 7 degree .045" x 1 1/2" for my 2004 LT40hdg28. I ordered it because I wanted to try it out on a venier quality 32"dib  x 10' high density 2 year old white oak log that I was saving to make fence posts for my yard at the house. I got wide 4" thick slabs cut out of the log with no waves at all and then proceded to get 29 4" x 4" x 10' posts out of that one log. no wavy cuts at all and after that kept doing normal log sawing for a couple of days. Really exceptional blades. That blade I think I paid $91.00 for it. But now I have the 1 1/4" blades.which were much less, but I also ordered 40 of them to get a discount on the price. I can resharped them with no problem with the CBN. Because I still intend to use the other woodmiser blades for sawing for other people. Because i wouldn't know how to charge for blade usage. As of now I charge $10.00 for dull blades, $60.00 per hour and whatever fuel is used.

coastlogger

Anyone know if these blades can be sharpened with a regular grinding wheel?I have a partly homemade grinder/ profiler that uses 4.25"x1/8" chainsaw grinding wheels, wonder if they would do the stellite?
clgr
clgr

Bibbyman

Quote from: coastlogger on May 09, 2010, 12:58:23 PM
Anyone know if these blades can be sharpened with a regular grinding wheel?I have a partly homemade grinder/ profiler that uses 4.25"x1/8" chainsaw grinding wheels, wonder if they would do the stellite?
clgr

The Wood-Mizer web site says - "Easy to resharpen with conventional sharpening equipment or Wood-Mizer's Resharp service. " - but I suspect you'll just have to try it on your machine as it may not be "conventional"..

You may want to get one and try it before committing to a bunch.  If you can't sharpen it, you could always send it off to WM Re-Sharp.

One thing I did hear was that you needed to be careful when setting the stellite blades - I assume because you run a chance of breaking the stellite tooth off.
Sawing since '94

coastlogger

OK  Actually I thought these blades had full width chisel type teeth that dont require setting.. I know I read about such things somewhere on here and I actually know a fellow who uses something like that but guess they are not the ones being talked abt.....?
clgr

Bibbyman

Quote from: coastlogger on May 09, 2010, 02:12:16 PM
OK  Actually I thought these blades had full width chisel type teeth that dont require setting.. I know I read about such things somewhere on here and I actually know a fellow who uses something like that but guess they are not the ones being talked abt.....?

I actually said that on my first post about the stellite blades.  But I've since been corrected and have taken a closer look.  The teeth are wider than the blade (at least on the .045s) but they do have set.
Sawing since '94

ronwood

Bibbyman,

Does Woodmizer charge the same to sharpen them?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

pineywoods

I obtained some stellite blades to try out. running on a 25 hp manual mill and a 50 hp lt40 super. Cut everything from a cresoted hardwood timber to soft cypress. They stay sharp 3 to 4 times longer than a superhard. When they do get dull, they still will cut nice and clean, no waves, if you push it but you risk breaking the blade sooner. Downside- because every tooth cuts full kerf width, considerable more power is required for the same cutting speed.   Put one of these blades on a low horsepower mill and you definitely won't set any speed records. The economics are still a toss-up. I suspect that if you send your blades out for sharpening, stellite bands would be more economical than superhards due to fewer sharpenings over the life of a blade. My blades all develop a fine film of rust from the humid air..I noticed that the rust on the stellite band was a different color and texture. I'm wondering if the band material is a different alloy than the superhards. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Doug_D

Thanks Pineywoods. 

I was wondering about HP requirements and the kerf of this blade.  Back when I had a small contractors table saw, I could tell a huge difference between a full kerf blade (1/8") vs a thin blade.  What about cut quality?  Any smoother?  Us guys that don't make a living with our mill, maybe interested if it save's time on the planer. 
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

WDH

I got a certificate for a free razor tip blade at the Pig Roast, so I am looking forward to trying it out.  However, on the LT15, cutting speed may be an issue based on Piney's observation on low horsepower mills.  We will see!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Doug_D

keep me posted WDH.  I would like to hear how it does on an LT15.

Thanks,
Doug
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Bibbyman

We got an order for some 20 beams.  I'm having to dig into some old inventory logs to get a few that long.  Also,  I'm sad to say,  I've lost track of the RazerTip blade we have (somewhere).  I've looked for it off and on for a year now.  I know it's here someplace.  Well,  I went and got another RazerTip blade.  This one is 1-1/2" wide by .045 with 10 deg hook angle.

I'll keep you posted.

But when it came, it came with some instructions to use vegetable base oil for lube – soy, palm, etc.   Where do you get this kind of oil?  (Besides out of Mary's pantry.) Do you mix it with anything?  Soap?  Water?  Windshield washer fluid?

Sawing since '94

Bill Gaiche

Try Bass Pro shop, Sams or Academy, bg

Brucer

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 30, 2011, 05:35:40 PM
But when it came, it came with some instructions to use vegetable base oil for lube – soy, palm, etc.  Where do you get this kind of oil?  (Besides out of Mary's pantry.) Do you mix it with anything?  Soap?  Water?  Windshield washer fluid?

I had the same question(s) when I opened my box. My local WM dealer didn't have an answer but he gave me the number for the head honcho at Wood-Mizer Blades. Here's what he told me ...

"Fill your water jug with 4 gallons minus two Pepsi tins of water.  Pour in 1 Pepsi tin of vegetable oil, and then pour in 1 Pepsi tin of liquid dishwashing soap. Don't pour the water into the soap and oil as it will foam up something fierce."

OK, that kind of made sense -- oil and water don't mix, but dishwashing soap is an emulsifier and will allow them to disperse through each other. So here's what I tried (successfully).

1) Put 3 gallons of water in the water jug.
2) Take a gallon container and fill it almost full of water.
3) Pour 12 ounces (more or less) of cheap vegetable oil into the container.
4) Pour 12 ounces (more or less) of cheap liquid dishwashing soap into the container.
5) Cap the container tightly and roll the container back an forth in your hands.
6) After a bit of mixing you will get a cloudy-looking mixture of soap, oil, and water.
7) Pour this mixture into the water jug.

Use this sparingly. It sure keeps the pitch off. It also tends to coat the bed rails with a very thing film of oil which makes timbers turn and slide a lot easier.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on July 30, 2011, 09:32:09 PM
Try Bass Pro shop, Sams or Academy, bg

I never would have thought to look there.  I knew I could get some "food grade" oils at the grocery store but I was thinking of maybe an industrial oil distributor.  Maybe they would have some oils with additives to keep it from spoiling, be cheaper, or maybe thinner.

Thanks Brucer for the info.  Are you running the stellite blades a lot, some, all the time?
Sawing since '94

Brucer

I bought a box (5) to try them out. Got 2000 BF out of the first one and it still wasn't "dull" -- just sawing a little slower :). I got 350 BF out of the second one before I hid a marble-sized rock that had somehow got embedded about 1-1/2" below the bark >:(. I'm pretty sure that blade is trash but my sharpening guy said to send it and he'd see what he could do with it.

I'm just about to send them off to get sharpened and then we'll see how they do. I'm tracking my output and total costs so's I can compare them to regular blades.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bandmill Bandit

My Blade collection includes Double Hard 10* 1.5" 0.45, Bimetal 10* 1.5" 0.55 (I think) stellite 10* 1.5" 0.45 and carbide 7* turbo 1.5" 0.45. Not positive on the thickness of the bimetals but you get the idea.

i don't really like the stellite much as I find the bands fatigue and break sooner then they should. Out of the 10 I tried 3 went the distance and gave me 5 or 6 cycles before the stellite tips were sharpened off. gave between 2000 and 2500 BF per cycle. the 7 that didn't go the distance broke on the 3rd or 4th cycle BUT did give at least the same BF per cycle.

The Double Hards give me between 1200 and 1500 BF (sometimes a bit more) per cycle and they go 4 to 5 cycles on 80% of the blades. 

The Bi Metals rarely break and I get 6 or 7 cycles per blade at 2000+ BF per cycle.

The carbides (3rd on the mill so far) seem to be indestructible. Well over 3000BF on 2.
First one hit a sizable screw at about 3200 BF and the 3rd on is at about 3200 now and still sawing great. The second one is not a topic that is open for discussion. The filings were significant and the damage as well and no there WONT be a picture!           
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!