iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker Wood Question (newbie)

Started by Doghouse, October 21, 2003, 07:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doghouse

Isabel finally gave up a tree to me.  (everything is getting turned into firewood GRRRRR!)

So I will be having a nice old oak sawn up.  My question is regarding stickers.  I have access to a pile of oak flooring, that was torn up and was wondering if it could be used as stickers?  

Do I need to remove the poly from the "face"?

I may have the chance to get this kiln dried, so please advise me on that.  

MemphisLogger

Doghouse,

We had a big storm hit us in Memphis back in July and I cried everyday to see it cut up by yahoo homeowners with chainsaws. In particular, folks were tearing in to all th e big old 100 year + cedars since it was the easiest to cut with their little Home Depot saws.  :'(

Old flooring should work fine and I don't forsee any problems with the poly in the pile though it might not be good in the kiln.

Chances are the kiln will re stack with it's own stickers anyhow.

Rip the flloring to 1"--if you use it any wider, you risk it staining under the stickers where it won't dry quickly.

Good luck!     :)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

UNCLEBUCK

hi Urban Logger, so then you use 1x1 oak stickers too, are they dried and how long length do you prefer your stickers , thanks ! :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

MemphisLogger

I buck all my logs at 9' if possible to make stacking as easy as possible and liking to saw 9' on my LT-30--it just gets both ends of the log onto a rail with a toe board.

I never stack sapwood--I turn all of my sap flitches into 1"x1"x4 1/2' stickers and stack them up loose for a couple of weeks to a month in a breezy spot. As I use them I lay them down flat but toss aside ones that are to whacked--we heat entirely with a woodstove.

:)

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

UNCLEBUCK

ok UrbanLogger thanks for telling about it, that sounds like a good simple way , I been using everything I cut and just got around to the sticker thing, read enough about , better to hear someones actual way, thanks ! :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!