iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time estimation

Started by addicted, April 28, 2010, 11:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

When it comes to planning, how does one estimate the time it would take to cut their frame? Let me know what level expeience we're dealing with so I can convert that to inexperienced. i.e 3-4 times longer.
Thanks
Rusty

witterbound

One day per major timber, I'd say.  Doesn't actually take that long to do layout and cut the joinery, but there's a lot of other time in a frame.  Storing timbers, sorting timbers, handling timbers, planing, sanding, trial fitting, drilling holes, etc. 

kfhines

I timed my self on this plate nearing the end of my first project, with layout and cutting all the joint it took 9 hours. Not a speed demon  by any means. The step lap rafter seats took the longest to do. Oh yah, no power tools.

edit: see pdf attachment

bigshow

hard to say.  I like were witterbounds head is at.  Including kneebraces, I had about 400 pieces in my frame (i know I ordered 206 timbers - many of which multiple pieces were taken from one stick).  Took me basically 9 months.  I work a full time job - so this was after work, 4 weeks vacation, and weekends.  This was also 100% outside with no shelter in brutal summer and a worse winter.  If I could've done it in a barn or shelter with light at night - cut that time by a good 1/3 - 1/2.  I'd say I did about 30% of the joinery alone.  I did have my wife, dad, and brother in law at my disposal for alot of it.
I never try anything, I just do it.

Thank You Sponsors!