iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a cantilevered saw shed

Started by Qweaver, April 27, 2010, 07:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I want to build a cantilevered saw shed for the LT28.  It just will not fit well into my current saw shed.    I have seen other examples here and I'd like some advice.  Here is a sketch of what I'm planning.    Can I see a picture of what you have done?  Comments?  I could also put corner and a center post on the back side.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ljmathias

Looks wobbly to me- here in hurricane country, that thing would blow over in the first big storm.  Why not plant posts on the backside and just extend out in front for the mill?  I find I don't need full-length access for getting boards, sawdust and slabs off the back side, and if the lumber is too hard to handle from the back, I move my FEL to the front and pick it up there- safer as well as the hydraulic log loader acts as a safety net...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WH_Conley

Here is what I did, wanted some extra roof to counter balance any snow load.

Bill

Qweaver

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

flibob

I like your thread I have a new 28 that is setting out in the rain (with cover) because I have not decided what to do on the shed.  How close are you going to put your posts?  I think I would add a vertical 2by under the crown.  A lot of bang for the buck.  Good luck.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Larry

I would build trusses for the roof...definitely.

Still I would feel uneasy about wind forces...maybe end walls could tie it to mother earth.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rph816

I have thought about this a lot.  I used to build houses and know you can get prefab trusses that will support at least an 8' overhang, don't know what the rest of the building would have to be.  I was filling up with gas the other day and thought "this awning would make a GREAT mill shed."  It had 2 steel posts in the center with probably 12' overhangs on each side, wide open.  Here in tornado alley, I'm sure it's engineered properly.  Maybe I'll just have to watch for a closed filling station and snag the awning for scrap price...

Ryan

bandmiller2

Q,what your planning will work.What I'd do is find some heavy highline poles, treated, and sink them in the ground well.Run the poles right up to the peak of the roof make everything heavy and bolt it,you could even cantilever it out more to keep rain and snow from blowing in.Crossbrace it to reduce racking.If your nervous about pending storms make some removable braces for the overhung section,but you really don't need them.Use as much oak as you can for load bearing pieces, you won't have any problems.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bibbyman

Will Baugh - WM branch manager in Mt. Vernon, MO. has just that type of shed.  Mt. Vernon is in south west Missouri and Will's place is out on flat prairie ground.  I'm sure it's seen a lot of wind.  Having no boxed in walls may help as the wind could pass though.  The building is on the south west corner of the cluster of buildings so it gets no protection from the wind there.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Slabs

I like it.
You may be a little heavy on the timbers.  Run the center posts on up to the crown and notch them for a ridge pole, use a 1X6 ridge pole and maybe bring the joists down to 2X6, and the rafters to 2X4.  Possibly close the end trusses with OSB  and that would enhance the truss structure.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Bibbyman

I'd worry about having enough ancurage in the ground around the post holding the building down.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sdunston

At first I looked and said it needs to be beefer but in your location it should work. In the great north it would be 10x10 post,2x6 on 16' centers and dubble 2x12 headers with dark tin so it heats up and the snow slides off, Gee if I moved south I could saw smaller boards :D :D
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

oakiemac

What software did you use to draw thos pretty pictures?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

ljmathias

Sdunston: you certainly don't want to move South- it's hot and humid here when it's not rainy and cold, and there's all those mean-spirited people to contend with (mostly da*n Yankees, as it were, me being one of them) plus we're poor and uneducated (just watch the news) and ... I could go on.  No, better you stay up where you are, please, and leave us to our misery.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Qweaver

Thanks for the good ideas.  I hate "re-inventing the wheel" so I'd rather get input from someone that has already sucessfully done it.  My posts are 12', true 8"x8" treated 2.6 CCA...so taking them up to the crown is not an option.  I will put a 2x4 brace up to the crown from each post.  I don't think a trangulated truss would serve much purpose on such a short span.  I will fully triangulate the rear section of the shed.  I'll also bellhole and concrete the posts. The pictures helped a lot.
Quinton

Holmes

Quote from: ljmathias on April 28, 2010, 07:47:24 AM
Sdunston: you certainly don't want to move South- it's hot and humid here when it's not rainy and cold, and there's all those mean-spirited people to contend with (mostly da*n Yankees, as it were, me being one of them) plus we're poor and uneducated (just watch the news) and ... I could go on.  No, better you stay up where you are, please, and leave us to our misery.

Lj

And they eat Grits!!!!!!
Think like a farmer.

coastlogger

If youd like the posts to go to the ridge as others have suggested--- not a bad idea...., the post length limitation you have is really not a problem.Make some timbers up the same size as the posts, butt them up and reinforce with 2x8's on both(or all four) sides for a few feet.Your extended posts can now be pretty well any length. Will be nearly as strong as if the post was all one piece
clgr
clgr

sdunston

Quote from: Holmes on April 28, 2010, 06:31:53 PM
Quote from: ljmathias on April 28, 2010, 07:47:24 AM

Lj

And they eat Grits!!!!!!
NO intensions of moving south, I would rather eat Snow then grits 8) 8). The north is great we dont get many tourist and those cityits love to buy lumber :D
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

bandmiller2

I probibly shouldn't fess up but that DanG Tom has got me eating grits,plain without cream and sugar.Truth be known their kinda satisfying.Frank C.

beenthere

bandmiller2
You are one tough hombre.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 01, 2010, 08:45:09 PM
I probibly shouldn't fess up but that DanG Tom has got me eating grits,plain without cream and sugar.Truth be known their kinda satisfying.Frank C.
Hi Frank I may be working in your town in the future. Perhaps we can get together at a coffee shop. Maybe Caption can show up and we can have a grits intervention.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

bandmiller2

Holmes,your always welcome neighbor.Captain is a sharp dude and sells alot of spiffy stuff. Frank C.

fred in montana

Another idea is to use 4 posts. 2 at each end of the mill, maybe 30" on center. This way you have access to both sides of the mill and if you want, you could even drag logs out either end, between the posts.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

bandmiller2

Thats a good idea Fred.Hey we're all sawyers here most of us with mills theirs no excuse for building a puny little girly shed. [please no offence to our female members]A shed built with heavy poles and timbers bolted togather fastened to the earth well will survive a tempest or heavy snowload.Frank C.

Qweaver

I gave up on the cantilever.  Seems too weak for high winds.  So I'm just going to build a simple four post shed.  We'll finish cutting her out this afternoon when it cools down a little.

Thank You Sponsors!