iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of tools?

Started by etkoehn, April 25, 2010, 08:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etkoehn

What kind of tools are a must for getting started in this sawmilling fun?

How did you first get stared sawmilling?

Do you think advertising is a good way to start out?

Do you get much business during winter months?
Farm Boy

Dave Shepard

I have a good assortment of mechanics tools, i.e. sockets, wrenches, allen and torx type tools. Nothing crazy, but you will need to monkey with something sooner or later. I keep a sharp chainsaw at the mill, as well as tools for Found Object removal. Usually a beat-up cheap! chisel and a hammer, some pliers etc. A peavey or cant hook, LogRite is very popular on the Forum, shovels and rakes for cleanup. Tape measure and framing square. Buy a box of lumber crayons and put one anywhere you've got a flat spot. :D You don't need everything all at once. You may already have most of it anyway.

I got started about 3 years ago working for someone that had a WM LT-40 sitting in a shed unused. I have been interested in WM saws since the late '90s, so I stopped in to see what was going on with the mill. I sawed there for a little over a year and moved on to another job running a brand new LT40 Super. I'm hooked on sawdust, and sawing will always be a part of what I do. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

ET,Dave pretty much covered what you need for tools.Most of us started milling when we got a mill,its like riding a bicycle you just have to do it with a toss or two along the way.I would start off slow learning how to use the mill and gaining confidence before wide spread ads, friends and neighbors then branch out.Winter has always been milling time, cool weather all but eliminated blue stain in pine,and logs hold better if you don't get to mill them right away.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

backwoods sawyer

I carry with me to each job a well-stocked and well organized toolbox, multi meter, grease gun, oil can, an assortment of pee-vees, a pair of 6' tankers bars, a pair of 24" pry bars, a small and mid sized chainsaw, a second tool box for the saw tools, chaps, 6" level, fuel cans, two water jugs and a 35 gallon drum of water with a siphon hose, chock blocks, ice tongs, jumper cables, a couple tape measures, four wedges, "Thor", a long handle hatchet, square nose shovel, rock rake, leaf rake, push broom and two colors of lumber crayons, 6-8 spare saws depending on what I will be milling, and that's about it unless I am milling over sized logs, then the big chainsaw goes to. I keep all these tools in a saw shed so I can back up to the door and load it all into the truck where every thing has its place and it all goes back in the shed at the end of the day. If the kids want to use tools, they use the ones in the shop not the milling shed. :-X In the toolbox on the truck I carry four 20' double ended tow chains, four binders, and four wide ratchet straps. The chains come in handy for loading large logs.    

Small fliers on bulletin boards around the county were more affective then an add in the new paper and while you are spending the same amount on gas you get to look for millable logs along the way  ;D 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

I have found that "word-of-mouth" and "reputation" are the best advertisement.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

etkoehn

I have a lot of tools already. Grew up on a farm and worked on equipment from since i was14 till present. So I have slowly built up those type of tools. In the past two years I have been getting into more wood working so I have bought more wood working tools. But I would still need some of the items you guys listed.
I think fliers sound like a good idea. I think at first I'd at least need some way to get my name out. And then hopefully the word of mouth think and reputation would get me the rest.

It's kinda crazy. I want a sawmill so bad but am scared to take that step out there. I want to try to get all my ducks lined up so that way I know I can make a little money each month with a sawmill.

Farm Boy

stonebroke

Go buy a used manual mill, don't quit your day job and start out slow. It is cheaper to make your mistakes when you are small. Then when you have built up a business get a really nice hyd mill. MY two cents

Stonebroke

etkoehn

I'm going to keep my Job and hopefully get stuff rolling in couple years with the sawmill that i could quit. Right now I am working night shift. We are on 12 hours, so one week is 48 hours and the next is 36. Every other week I get a three day weekend so I figure with more days off the more chance i will have to do some work. Hopefully I can get this lead position were I work. That would increase me check little over 250$ a month and really help everything out. We will see though.
Farm Boy

Ernie

If you really want to appreciate a proper mill when you get one.  Do like I did, start with a chainsaw mill.  I had an Alaskan with a six foot double ended bar and twin powerheads.  Sure is a whole mess of work for an old man but I notice that you have extreme youth on your side so it should be no problem.  I think it's about the cheapest way to start and like I said you sure do appreciate a proper mill when you get one ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

etkoehn

Woodmizer LT 40 portable sawmill - $12000

24hp,13 blades,automatic sharpener,good condition works great,only 1300hrs on it,easy to operate,509 291 3197 jim

Does that sound like a good deal??
Farm Boy

sigidi

ETK, don't be too keen to run out doing custom jobs. get good on your own logs first or word of mouth will be your biggest problem. I'm not a bandmiller, but from the guys on here I've found there is a hole heap of learning to do before cutting good timber for others. I found my swinger to be relatively easy in that regard ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

slider

Good advice sigidi,you don't want to solve problems on your customer's good logs.It's bad enough when things start going wrong but it's worse when it's not your wood.I'm not trying to discourage you ,there is just a learning curve that you are going to work thru.Good luck  al
al glenn

rph816

I've been working with a mill for a couple years now, and while I've provided myself with lots of lumber, I've not made a dime on it (but I'm really not trying yet).  It is addictive.  The one thing I've not seen in the list yet is a come-along.  While an electric winch is probably preferred young guys like us can work a come-along pretty well and the out of pocket is next to nothing.  Bum equipment whenever you can, find a buddy with a skid loader or tractor because logs are really heavy.  Lastly, while this isn't tools/equipment, I would troll around here looking for setups.  We have reconfigured our mill setup twice and gone through various iterations of lumber storage.  I would definitely recommend some kind of log deck that is near the same level as the mill deck, that way you can just roll logs on quickly and easily.  Also, consider log storage, off-loading, lumber storage and the possibility of kilns etc.  On unrelated topics, we just upgraded to a Timberking b-20 with all the bells and whistles (which I recommend) but now we are selling a 2007 Timberking 1220, $6000.  Let me know if you have any interest.

Ryan

DouginUtah

It is usually a good idea to let people know your location when you are selling something.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

etkoehn

yeah. but that's not my add. Its one i found near me
Farm Boy

ljmathias

Douginutah: You got a BUG crawling around on your messages, man- hope it don't bite!   :D :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!