iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone ever refinished a cast iron bath tub?

Started by Ernie, April 25, 2010, 05:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

My bath tub is getting very stained.  Sort of green from our spring water.  Is it worthwhile to try refinishing it.  How do you prepare it.  It is one of those old enamelled cast iron jobs.

Or am I better off to rip it out and use it for scalding pigs and stick in one of those plastic things instead.

Any thoughts and hints will be appreciated
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

D Hagens

You can reglaze it, works well lasts for awhile. You can epoxy it, easy to use and looks pretty good. Install an acrylic liner, kind of costly though.
There's an electro way of doing it too, requires a bit of skill but it's the best! I've used it and it applies a finish that's tough as nails.
If your tub surround is shot then pull it all out and install a deep acrylic tub, don't forget to insulate the underneath or it's cold on your rear end. :D

Magicman

We had an outfit that came in and sprayed an old tub.  I don't know what they used, but that has been 5 years ago.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Are looking to do this in place or pull it out?  I know there are specialty places that restore the older claw foot tubs to new condition. 

Have you tried any CLR on your mineral stains?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ernie

I'm heading off into town shortly, I'll see if I can find some and give it a go, Thanks.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Mooseherder

We had an outfit come in to reglaze our tub about 6 years ago also.
They did a great job and it still looks good.  I think it cost a couple hundred dollars.

Gary_C

You might first try some acid on the stains. If they are just from minerals in the water you should be able to remove them with some acid cleaner like the stuff the dairy farmers use in their pipelines.

Generally you would first use a very strong detergent cleaner to remove any organic material and then hit it with some strong acid. Just use plenty of ventilation as sometimes the fumes can be bad.

Be careful with abrasive cleaners as they will ruin the glaze on the enamel.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

zopi

epoxy paint is easiest...I'd pay someone who does it for a living though..had one done a few years back...

My dear wife bought me a "boat" at a auction for 50 bucks...mostly as a gag, but it has a nice slab cart under it...anyway, I have a old claw foot tub out back that has long since ruined, so to get even with the admiral, I am going to drag the tub out front and mount the old kiekheaffer merc on it and plant it full of flowers...that'll teach er...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Don_Papenburg

If it is real bad you might be able to reporcelin the thing.  There is a guy in southern Illinois that does porcelin Looks like some nice work .  Anyway there should be someone down there that does that kind of thing.  It has to go in a oven to make the stuff melt and then turn slick and shine , It would be a bit more expense but it will last till your grandkids kids have to drag out your old computer to find out who you used to fixit.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Warren

In 1998 we had the claw foot tub out of my wife's childhood home recoated with epoxy.   It still looks good 12 years later even tho the guy who coated it claimed the finish was only good for about 5 years.  The epoxy coat cost $300.  True porcelain reglazing a that time was about $2500....

-w-

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!