iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of mill is this?

Started by boatman, April 24, 2010, 07:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatman

This mill is for sale near by,  What is it?  What are is capabilities?  My internet seems to be too slow to upload pictures so heres the link.

http://nmi.craigslist.org/bar/1707879223.html

Dave Shepard

I've never seen anything quite like it before. I suspect it's some sort of a portable bolter mill. It looks like it's got a Chrysler slant-six on it and a small circular blade. Says it only cuts 8'6".
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

That looks like something our aussy mates would use mayby Chris knows.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Left Coast Chris

It looks very well made and may have hydraulics.   Can't tell from the pics if it is a band or circle.   If it is a band and it runs, the price is very reasonable.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like something Mel Gibson would ride in his older movies. fly_smiley
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

gizmodust

Looks like it has approx. a 30 circle blade, just guessing by the size of the tire on the rig.  It has hydraulics to move the log through the blade as evidence just above the tongue of the mill.  Haven't seen one like that before, but it's interesting for sure.
Always liked wood with alot of character

boatman

The owners don't seem to know about it's history.  They have used it to cut up to 24 inch logs.  Though it has a depth of cut of about 14".

Sprucegum

I would want to find out why it is limited to 8'6" boards. Sometimes its real handy to have a longer board to build with.  ;)

zopi

yeah...16' is a minimum length requirement for me...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

scsmith42

I wonder if it was designed to make RR ties...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

Could be for ties. There are some old bolter mills around here used to make pallet stock, and some were portable. Maybe to go in after a logging sale and scrounge up the short top logs is my guess.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!