iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current Pennsylvania hardwood prices

Started by rambo, April 23, 2010, 06:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo

I have about 30 logs of hardwood I want to sell. But I don't know what to charge a board foot. I have red and white oak, black cherry, maple and hickory. None of the logs are less than 8 feet. I have them yarded at my home so the hard work is done. Can anyone suggest what I should ask per board foot. Or if you know a resouce I can use determine the going rate I would appreciate and help.
Thank you
John

dutchman

This report runs 3 to 6 months behind, haven't used it for a while.
http://extension.psu.edu/tmr/TMR.htm
Good luck.

Ron Wenrich

Log prices vary greatly dependig on quality.  A veneer log may be worth 2-3 times as much as a good grade sawlog, depending on species.  Low grade is worth far less.

30 logs is about a load of logs for a truck.  You might be able to get them to come out and pick them up and grade them.  They'll have a price list of what they're paying.  You might want to go to the DCNR if you're looking at moving them to a mill.

If you're thinking about having someone come and buy some for a small mill, then you'll have to do some sort of advertising to get some interest.  I know that some of the guys here on the forum look through Craigslist for stuff. 

As for price, find what the local mills are paying.  Don't go below that.  The logs should be fresh cut.  The longer they lay, the worse the price gets.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!