iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Travel tips for VA to Upper Michigan, on thru Wisconsin, Minnesota

Started by dhutch, April 23, 2010, 12:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhutch

Wife & I are dropping the boys off at college in late August, and pulling the camper up thru the great lakes, stopping at Mackinac (day trip), then on to Pictured Rocks, Isle Royale (day trip by ferry), then Voyageurs NP.  Any suggestions about good campgrounds, hiking trails, outdoorsy things to do on the way would be appreciated!  I've already read the cautions about avoiding Mackinac on Labor Day weekend.   :o  Currently thinking of  the following campgrounds:  Lakeport, Cheboygan (Michigan), Copper Falls (Wisconsin), Judge CR Magney, Bear Head Lake (Minnesota).

Thanks,
David
David

Shotgun

If you're truly going on a day trip to Isle Royale, save your money. You'll be wasting it, and you'll also be unhappy. Unhappy that you didn't plan to stay for at least a week. Take my word for it.

You should really plan to spend more time in the UP, too.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

chevytaHOE5674

I agree the day trip to Isle Royal is not worth it. The boat ride is 5-6 hours from Houghton in Good weather, in less than ideal weather it can take much much longer. You end up leaving either tuesday or friday day at 9am arrive at the island at around 3pm (if smooth sailing) then have to leave the following morning at 9am again.... I would spend at least a week there if possible.

Porcupine mountain state park is a nice place to see and hike around. Lots of things to see and do while there. Black river falls on the west end of the porkies is a nice place to see and explore also.

There is tons to do on this end of da UP if you have the time.

Bro. Noble

Soon after you get in Wisconsin,  there is a railroad ride to an old logging museum (and a nice hike badk if you miss the train like my son, Tom and I did :D :D).  It's a must do in my opinion.  I don't remember the name of the place,  but someone else will know.

We've stayed at Copper falls a couple of times and liked it.  There is a real nice trail there to the falls.

If you go on in to Superior,  there is a nice ship museum there right at Barkers Island.  We enjoyed just walking along the docks at Barker's Island and looking at the magnificant boats.  You can drive to Barker's Island ;)

If you can return by the north shore of Lake Superior, it is even more wonderful.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Yoopersaw

You need to check out the water falls as you travel across the U.P.  If you want a list of good one that can be accessed easily, PM me.  If you want to see some really nice areas let me know.  I agree with the day trip to Isle Royal not being worth it.  How about a 2 or 3 day canoe trip in the heart of the U.P.  A short 4 mile hike will take you back to some historical area that few go to.  Just so much up here to do.

jim king

I think everyone should see the North Shore Drive of Lake Superior in Minnesota.  It has to bee one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Burlkraft

If you are anywhere near Northern Southern Wisconsin Me, Peyton34 and Beenthere would love to show you our little neck-o-the-woods   ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

cinnabar

dhutch,   
Copper Falls is nice, but can be hard to find a spot at times.  We ended up at Mineral Lake west of Mellen.  Primative, but so nice.
We too are heading tru da UP, over the big bridge, through Lower MI. on our way to the in-laws in Ohio. 
Any favorite tent camping spots one would recomend for 3 humans + a dog?
cinnabar

Yoopersaw

What dates are you looking at and how remote of a site are you looking for?  If your camping in a tent, motor home, or a travel trailor info can help with site selections.  PM me if you want.

cinnabar

We had a great trip thru the U.P. and then on south into the 'land of sweet cherries"  .  Next time we will plan the trip so that we can load up the coolers with fruit on the way home. Spending more time around Marquette will be in future plans as well.  We stopped at Isp, the Sleeping Bear Dunes, camped out first night St Ignace and then Montague? , even found some nice rocks, I'm digging a hole alas just small ones. 
Thanks for the tips.
cinnabar

Shotgun

Quote from: cinnabar on August 24, 2011, 03:22:50 PM
We had a great trip thru the U.P. and then on south into the 'land of sweet cherries" .....   We stopped at Isp, the Sleeping Bear Dunes, camped out first night St Ignace ....

Just curious, cinnabar, what is Isp?  Wondering what I'm missing.

Thanks,  Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Yoopersaw

Isp. is next to Neg. :)  Isp. = Ishpeming,  Neg. = Negaunee

Thank You Sponsors!