iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Headache or pain.

Started by Chris Burchfield, April 23, 2010, 09:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

My dad swore by BC powders.  They'd gag me and I'd regurgitate.  I liked Anacin 3 for a headache.  Several years ago, I couldn't find anything in the medicine cabinet for a headache, and asked wife.  She said take one of these "500mg Aleve," at the time by prescription only.  In ten minutes the headache was gone.  I found it worked good on joint, muscle or back pain.  A few years later it became generic and OTC.   Naproxen Sodium Tablets is the generic.  The larger chain grocery and drug stores usually have their brand.  Wife works in an OBGYN office.  I was really impressed how fast it worked and asked wife what they used it for?  She said women's PMS, I said yep, that stuffs got be strong!   :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Left Coast Chris

Good to know.   I don't drink coffee but occasionally get too much caffine from other sources such as chocolate or tea then get a withdrawl headache not realizing what caused it until thinking back as to what was ingested.  I will remember the Aleve.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Tom

Here is an interesting concept.
Mr's Shippey, the wife of my best Old-timer Friend, is into Homeopathic medicine and alternative medicine.  She loaned me a book written by Andrew Weil that I thoroughly enjoyed. 

One of his stories was about a dilemma he had from waking patients up after surgery.  Caffeine, believe it or not, is one of the concoctions administered for this job.  He had patients waking up after surgery who had splitting headaches.  Finally it dawned on him that they were having caffeine withdrawals.   You see, most of the doctors felt that caffeine was bad for you, so they would withhold any liquids and foods after surgery, except for a little water.   He decided to try coffee.  After the patient got their wits about them some and nausea was minimal, he prescribed coffee.  All of his patients benefited and the headaches and much of the nausea went away.

If you've never read any of his books, you should.  He has a website that I just discovered when I was looking for his name.  I'm going to see if it is as entertaining as his book.

Did you know that BC powder worked so good on some people because it contained caffeine?  These people were suffering from caffeine headaches and didn't know it.  that's why 'the other powder' didn't work as good.  It didn't contain the amount of caffeine that BC's did.

BC, Goody's and Stanback users were very brand loyal.   I think that they all have about the same ingredients now.   It's the caffeine that makes the powders seem to be so much better than the aspirin tablets.

Left Coast Chris

Caffeine is an interesting substance for sure.  Then there is coffee that contains caffeine along with the black tea and chocolate.   If I drink coffee I often get on edge and jittery with a little shaking in the hands.  If I drink coffee for more than two days, I cannot continue due to jitters and coming off of it is hard with big headaches.   I have even gotten jittery from decafinated coffee.    Not the same with tea or chocolate unless it is a very large amount of chocolate.   Never had a problem with tea although there is supposed to be more caffeine in tea.  ???   To get rid of the headaches usually drinking alot of water and exercising will do it.    It seams everyone reacts a little differently.  I am a little hyper and seem to wake up ready to go not needing a jump start in the morning.    Coffee is a different thing though,  I can take alot of alcohol (rarely do though) but cannot take much coffee at all.    Coffee is a pretty potent concoction from my experience.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Homeopathic just went under the microscope recently. They analyzed a couple products for active ingredients with machines that can detect something within a billionth of a gram at the U of T medical lab. They found that the pills were nothing more than lactose and sucrose, basically sugar pills. When one company was asked about their product and how it is suppose to work. The response was "that's one of the mysteries of homeopathy".  :)

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/cureorcon
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

The mind is very powerful, Donk. (well in most cases it is  ;D )

The so called herbal drugs are not monitored for quality or for anything else. In my opinion, I guess sugar pills would be less harmful than some of the other stuff they might put in there. St John's Wort (poor man's Prozac) is one that comes to mind. No regulatory action on these drugs means that one pill can be very powerful, while the next can have very little effect. This is very dangerous to the innocent user who has no idea how much of the drug is in each pill.....if any at all, as in your sugar pills Donk.

While the herbal pills can be very effective, once again, follow the money. Rather than take the pill, perhaps it would be more effective and less dangerous to use the actual herb. They are often less expensive, but can be more work than simply popping a pill into your mouth.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!