iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SCORE!

Started by metalspinner, April 22, 2010, 10:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Score one for the little guys. :)

On my daily rounds (waiting for the kids' piano lessons to finish), I came across this blow down.  I pulled in, knocked on the door, offered my free services, and left a business card with the lady of the house.

20 minutes later, the husband called and said "Have at it!"  He was just about to start calling tree services.

After a quick bite of dinner, I headed out to get started. 

This is what was waiting for me.  It's hard to notice in the pic, but there is about 6' of clearance under the log. It fell across a ditch.  The first thing I did was to loop a cable around the middle of the log a few times.

Next, I cut the top of the log off where it met the ground.  Then followed with the stump cut.  This left the log ends touching dirt on each side of the ditch. Here is the 066 buried in the stump. :)

Here is the 20' butt log safely on the ground.  I used the previously wrapped cable to roll the log clear of the top and stump.  The F-150 skidder was really handy for this.

This is the top of the first 20'. 8) 8)  That's 32" across. And , yes, it's cherry. 8) 8) 8)

At dark:30, the first two butt logs are staged and ready to be loaded in the AM. 8)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Left Coast Chris

I'd put a night watchman on that one...... :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

scsmith42

Dude - nice score!!!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

That price was RIGHT!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

wesdor

And you saved the homeowner the cost of a tree service.

Nice Guys sometimes do finish first!

zopi

Very nice...gona haul in some pine I am taking out for a guy down the road tomorrow..new siding for the barn..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Luck counts.....nice catch..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

Great score but... it looks like it's covered with a nasty vine or something ???

How did you get it home ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

metalspinner

QuoteHow did you get it home ?

Timely question. ;D  Here is the parbuckling rigging...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlIZvCXbXBg

And the actual loading...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEXF_NM8sNg

That vine is English Ivy.  There might have been a bit of Poison Ivy in there, but I'm OK so far.

QuoteLuck counts

You have that right, MM.

I just happened to turn left, then right and looked in my rearview mirror and there it was.  :)

So far , I have the two butt logs hauled home .  The other three from higher up the tree will have to wait until next week.

Magicman

Good job !!!   Your setup is almost identical to mine.  Works great.    ;)

I do have to continually watch  :o  and keep folks from walking behind the log.... >:(   They just don't understand the possible danger of something going wrong.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Holy Cow Forestry Forum!! 

Cherry ???  8)  8).  Fortune Teller says, "I see some clear wide cherry boards in your future"  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I love to saw that Cherry.  A new customer called last week.  I have another Cherry job scheduled.... :)

rbhunter

What size winch do you have on the trailer?

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

metalspinner

That's an 8,000# HF winch.  I bought it used for 100 bucks several years ago and have been waiting for it to go under ever since.  But, it just keeps on going.  I'm keeping my eyes open for a hydraulic winch, though.

WDH,
What a coincidence! A fortune cookie I cracked open last week mentioned something like that. :D

Magicman

Quote from: metalspinner on April 24, 2010, 08:37:59 PM
That's an 8,000# HF winch.

There is really not a very heavy load on the winch in this instance.  I have an 8K Mile Marker on mine.  I will add, that I had a 3500 Warn that failed while loading 16' 30" Red Oak logs.  Those were the heaviest logs that I have loaded.  The 8K has not faltered.

Don K

That is a nice tree Chris.  8) 8) We just don't have cherry that big here. You will get some nice lumber from that.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fishpharmer

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

JohnG28

That sure is a good looking score.  Congrats. 8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

metalspinner

QuoteWe just don't have cherry that big here

Fish,
This is the largest I have seen here.  Our cherry is always crooked and scraggly.  This one was still crooked, but it is not scraggly. :)

I finally got it all home.  These are all 8' long and measure out to be about 1,000bf.  But because of some sweep, etc, we'll get under that probably.

Ironwood

WOW nice.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ohsoloco

Looks like there's a few nice crotch pieces in there, too  :)

metalspinner

ohsoloco,
Yep.  The small piece on the left is from the highest log left on the tree.  It has a nicely balanced and centered crotch shape.  The bigger logs on the left just had large branches growing from them.

WDH

Looks like that I need to come to TN to steal beg some cherry logs  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ohsoloco

I have a cherry crotch patiently waiting in a shed to become the panels for my kitchen cabinet doors.  Beautiful stuff  :)

Years ago I mentioned to a tree service I was getting logs from that I was interested in the crotch pieces, and that I needed at least 4-1/2 feet to be able to mill it easily.  They left me a piece that was cut right before a fork (maybe 10" diameter) with two 4' pieces of branch above the crotch  :D  Always a bonus when you can buck your own logs.

Thank You Sponsors!