iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

piece of furniture made from logs out of lake superior

Started by johncinquo, April 22, 2010, 09:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

I have always heard about the high end stuff made from logs pulled from lake superior, never actually seen any of it.  Saw this reception desk at an auction.  Saw it in person, it is a really beautiful piece of furniture.  Having worked in cabinet and custom furniture shops, I can tell you the construction is very nice.  It only sold today for $750, but the letter in the drawer says the original price was $21,000!  The wood was cut just beautifully.  Every lined matched up perfectly.  I'd love to see more of this type of work.  I tried searching the names, but nothing shows up.  I'lll get pics copied and posted in a couple days, but here is the link for now. 
http://www.repocast.com/details.cfm;jsessionid=7630c2e0a3fcd2abd30a3d4b5261638026d2?ID=107360
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

ohsoloco

Mike Rowe, from Dirty Jobs, worked with an outfit on one of his episodes where they were pulling logs from one of the Great Lakes.  They sliced it into veneer, and once the panels were constructed proceeded to stain them virtually black  ::)  Ruined it in my opinion.  That's one nice lookin' desk there  :)

Gary_C

There were a lot of stories about this underwater logging in Lake Superior back in the 1990's and there was one company in Ashland, WI that got a lot of stories written about submerged logs and the lumber they produced. But now the stories have seemingly dried up and disappeared along with the companies that were doing the underwater logging.

That wood from sunken logs is very difficult to dry properly and I suspect that prices have dropped with the rest of the economy. And I heard once that the state of Wisconsin was trying to take possession or a heafty cut of the proceeds from "their" logs. So for now anyway, that wood and the pieces of furniture must have lost their luster.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

red oaks lumber

i live 80 miles from ashland, there is a company that still pulls logs out and processes them. iv'e worked with alot of that wood, for the price they get its not worth it.
to get almost the same look and same vintage of lumber people are turning to reclaimed lumber cut from beams that are from 80 -125 yrs. old. its still "old growth" but at a fraction of the cost.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SwampDonkey

I've also read reports that a lot of that wood disintegrates when it dries, the veneer probably the worst as I recall. The lignin is destroyed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

THey could have at least used solid seconary wood on the drawers. Like the figure though.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!