iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Owners - what is essential equipment on a new mill?

Started by Engineer, April 22, 2010, 09:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I have had the opportunity over the past week to spend about 14 hours tailing for a fellow sawyer using a 2000 WM LT40 hydraulic.  Now I've got to thinking, I am glad I sold my mill because it has given me the opportunity to see and operate a different mill, and I am trying to save my pennies and possibly purchase a new one in the not-too-distant future.  After seeing this mill operate, there is no way I would ever consider a manual mill again.  The other thing that thrilled me is the ability of a newer mill to cut down to within 1" of the bed.  My old mill could only manage about 3" and that took some careful planning.  So easy to do quartersawing with a new mill.

The mill we operated yesterday and last week seemed to be a bare-bones LT40HD.  The only option that I could see on it was a debarker, which appears to me to be essential.  I used to debark logs with a Log Wizard attached to a chainsaw, and it was a crappy job.  He had also field-modified the leveling legs, putting a welded cap on each one to keep sawdust and other crud out of the legs, and putting a large bolt and plate on the bottom of each one to allow for fine adjustments.

I have to say that I was suitably impressed with the mill.  We went through about 40 pine logs, that were all about 5 years old and sitting on the ground.  A few were rejected outright for rot, but I got (estimated) about 4000 board feet, at least, of good-quality boards, including some decent small timbers and one log which yielded about 400 bf of clear, clean 2x14 and 2x12, 14' long for future furniture projects.   Most of the logs had sat for 5 years because they were just too big for me to handle with the old mill.  A couple were almost 36" diameter by 16' long and needed both of us just to roll them to the loading arms.

To get to my basic question - I would be very happy with just the barebones LT40HD and a debarker.  I wonder, though, how many of the other options on a new mill are really necessary.  Some add a couple thousand or more to the mill price, and I don't know if they are just frills or truly useful.  The ones I'm specifically looking at are the Accuset setworks, the end-mounted operator's station, the larger diesel engines, the extra hydraulic back supports, and the board return.  I think the board return would have been nice, especially with a solo operator.   The gas engine (I think it was 25 HP) seemed to have plenty of power, even on a full width cut through knotty green pine.  He had the basic lubrication system (turn a valve on the jug) and it worked fine, I don't think the Lubemizer is worth it?  I'd like to hear from some of you who have some of these options and why you thought it was necessary, and if they have met your expectations.

wwsjr

I have owned a LT40 Manual, 25HP gas, LT40 Standard HD with 34HP Cat, and now have a 2006 LT40 Super, 51 Cat with remote. I average about 200,000 BF a year.

In my opinion, the debarker, auto clutch and Lubemizer is a must have. The idea mill for me is equipped with all the options except laser, work outside, can't see clearly. It all depends on your plans, how much production you need. At my age, 65, I need the bells and whistles.

If I was buying today: LT40 Super with Diesel (sale on Cat diesel now)
                                  Super HYD much faster than Std HD with 1 pump
                                  Remote includes Accuset 2 and Autoclutch
                                  Debarker
                                  Lubemizer
                                  Power down/up board return.

Just my two cents worth.

Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Meadows Miller

Gday

I told you it wouldnt be long till you got the itch again Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

With Wood mizers Id be happy to saw with a basic Lt40hd super with a minimum of 30 to 38hp with board dragback with band sharpening and setting equipment over a debarker ( as i keep my logs pretty clean) but if your planing to use Resharp id get the debarker Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

asfar as accuset and remote controll stations  i like the idea of having the control station at the end of the mll as it keeps you outa the way of most of the dust and noise and saves alot of walking and if your operating in your yard setup a  tailout deck  ;) 8) 8)

that been said ive done a heap of hours on basic lt40supers and had no dramas with using the basic controll setup and sizing and getting consistant results remember you can add alot of the otions as you go with the WMs or you can just move up to another mill down the track Mate   ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Thats just my two bobs worth Mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chris Burchfield

Engineer,  I have all the horns and whistles you've listed.  I've not regretted any of the items I added to my mill.  Even with the 51 hp cat/perk and diesel at the current price.  I saw mostly for myself.  I do just a couple of custom saw jobs a year.  Mine is a Super 40.  I also have the drag back feature with the deflector table and saw mostly alone.  WM does not advise doing this while sawing alone.  Legal stuff to protect them.  I park a trailer and off load behind where I stand on the end.  I had watched the development of the WM product for 23 years before I purchased one.  Before, I was too busy keeping a roof over our heads and putting food on the table raising a family.  Hope this helps.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Chuck White

Hello Engineer.  Good to hear from you again.
Also, looks like you're gettin' the itch again.

I have a 1995 WM LT40HDG24.
The only option I have is, a former owner added a WM debarker.
I'm very happy with this mill "as is"!
If I was going to add anything, it would be "roller toe-boards", so I could move logs laterally a little easier.
Once in a while, I saw a log or two alone and just slide the boards off the cant and onto the loading arms.
Then when I get the log done, I shut down and load the boards onto the trailer, the slab onto the slab pile and load another log onto the loading arms.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OneWithWood

Engineer,
I started with an LT40HDG25 that was bare bones except for the debarker.  I have since added the following:
Hydraulic backstops to replace the two manual stops
Auto Clutch - after a few thousand board feet the shoulder will thank you
Lubemizer - not a necessity but sure is better than the straight valve off the tank

My next mill will be an electric super.  I have bcome a stationary sawyer.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ronwood

I added the Simple Setworks to my LT40HG25 2003. Would like to have the fuel injected engine.  When there a lot of moisture in the air and cold it likes to ice up. Otherwise it keeps me busy working by myself.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

John S

I think Autoclutch and Simple Setworks are included in the special pricing in effect until May 31.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

woodmills1

I have a 70 2005

I cut for years on a 93 LT 40 HD

by my self a 40 HD is the way to go

there is no way I can keep up with the 70

but DanG  it is one sweet machine

I put 62 4x4 pine one an order yesterday afternoon  Kathy hadda rub me later :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DR_Buck

Quote from: wwsjr on April 22, 2010, 10:02:11 AM
I have owned a LT40 Manual, 25HP gas, LT40 Standard HD with 34HP Cat, and now have a 2006 LT40 Super, 51 Cat with remote. I average about 200,000 BF a year.

In my opinion, the debarker, auto clutch and Lubemizer is a must have. The idea mill for me is equipped with all the options except laser, work outside, can't see clearly. It all depends on your plans, how much production you need. At my age, 65, I need the bells and whistles.

If I was buying today: LT40 Super with Diesel (sale on Cat diesel now)
                                 Super HYD much faster than Std HD with 1 pump
                                 Remote includes Accuset 2 and Autoclutch
                                 Debarker
                                 Lubemizer
                                 Power down/up board return.

Just my two cents worth.

smiley_hollywood_coolWhat he said! :)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dan_Shade

I'm in agreement with these guys.

my mill (LT40 Hydraulic with a 25hp engine) has a debarker, autoclutch, setworks, board return, the backstop mod, and lube-mizer

I wouldn't want anything less.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Engineer, Glad to see you back and looking   :o.

When I bought my mill, I had no idea what was on it or why.  I had never even seen a mill run.  Well, I'm one lucky guy.  It is a SuperHydraulic, so I enjoy the power of the diesel, dual pump hydraulic log lifting power,  Debarker, Setworks, Operator's seat.  I added a Lubemizer and remove the board dragback.  I don't have an Autoclutch, and probably won't add one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nas

If I was buying a new LT40HD I would get the autoclutch and debarker and as much HP as I could afford.  Setworks and board return would be next, and a seat when I get old ;) :D  I wouldn't get the remote station as I like being close to the cut(for now anyways) :)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Papa1stuff

It's OK for you young guys to walk along with the head and hear the roar of that big old diesel,but I like to be at the end watching everything and away from all the noise! and not getting all that walking exersize ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

terrifictimbersllc

Engineer, is your mill for personal use or are you going to be sawing for business? On the road or at home?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ljmathias

Where can I buy a couple of those cheap?  Walmart got any specials? My kids are working full time jobs and oldest grandkid is 11, the rest under 5- going to be awhile before they're much help.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Engineer

Quote from: zopi on April 23, 2010, 09:47:13 PM
couple of teenagers with lots of energy..

Hah.  I have three.  All with lots of energy directed every which way but that one.

IF, and that's a big IF, I decide I'll want another mill, it will be used both for business and personal use, and brought on the road.   

Brucer

My manual LT40 was bare bones -- log deck package and that was it.

When I moved up to a hydraulic LT40 a year later, I'd already decided that a debarker was essential. It pays for itself in time and money.

Gradually over the years, I've added the following, always with the view of improving productivity.

• auto clutch (my left shoulder is shot & I didn't want the right one to go that way - best upgrade I made).
  • dragback (This is a personal preference and depends on how you're setup. There's probably as many removed from Super Hydraulics as are added to standard hydraulics. I only bought mine after a lot of thought about how I could use it. I figured out the manual one that's available for the standard hydraulic wasn't going to help me much, so I found someone who had removed a motorized one from their Super ;D. It does exactly what I expected it would).
  • New style micro-adjust legs (I only bought the two for the ends of the mill. I'm semi-stationary and I found in the spring the ground would soften up enough for the ends of the mill to sag just a little. These make it easy to fine-tune the level. If I were going to be on the road a lot, I would most definitely want all six. They are much improved over the originals).
  • Shutoff valve for the lube water (I didn't bother with the lube-mizer, I just put the solenoid valve in the system. It opens when the carriage is moving forward and closes on the return. I usually just adjust the flow for the log I happen to be in and let it take care of itself.)

One thing I regret is that I passed up an opportunity to get a diesel-powered mill when I upgraded. At the time (after only one year of sawing), it seemed that if I pushed the saw through the log any faster, I'd get wavy cuts so more horsepower wouldn't help. What I didn't understand was that the wavy cuts are due to the blade slowing down, rather than the speed that the carriage is moving. The folks on the forum set me straight on that, but it was too late. A diesel doesn't just give you more horsepower -- it also has a better torque curve for this application (so it doesn't slow down as much when it meets a heavy load).

Right now, for me working alone, a super hydraulic won't pay for itself because I spend more time handling material than sawing. I've done the numbers and an edger will give me more bang for the buck (but I'm not doing mobile work anymore). So this year's upgrade is an edger, which I'll be picking up in a couple of weeks.

A remote operator's station will be a big help -- for the way I'm set up. It might not be that much help in other situations.

I've never felt the need for accuset, but I can crunch the numbers in my head faster than most folks can punch them into a calculator. If I were sawing mainly lumber instead of timbers, I would consider accuset. And I will probably include it when I upgrade to a Super simply because the head moves up and down so much faster.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sdunston

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2010, 03:46:46 PM
Engineer, Glad to see you back and looking   :o.

When I bought my mill, I had no idea what was on it or why.  I had never even seen a mill run.  Well, I'm one lucky guy.  It is a SuperHydraulic, so I enjoy the power of the diesel, dual pump hydraulic log lifting power,  Debarker, Setworks, Operator's seat.  I added a Lubemizer and remove the board dragback.  I don't have an Autoclutch, and probably won't add one.
I like this setup 8) 8) 8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

ladylake

Computer setworks, chain turner, remote throttle, good power.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

I bought a 2001 LT-40 Super with 42hp diesel, front control station, debarker, lubemizer, as a hobby.  I had an idea that I might like sawing in retirement and decided with the help of the glossy brochures  why wait to retire to find out.  Had only a vague idea of details of going into business.  Collected a lot of wood for a while until I had too much, went dormant a while,  then unexpectedly found myself retired way earlier than I thought so I started sawing for business.   Don't regret having any of the mill options.  When I go out to saw for a day I need to get as much done as possible, there is no time to spare.    Might be different if I was running the mill from my property I don't know.  The only "reservation" I have is more a question.   I don't know what it is like to walk beside the mill, whether I would enjoy that or not.  Also whether or not Accuset would be really necessary with a walk beside mill where you are up against the scale all the time.  If one dispensed with the front control, Accuset, and the auto clutch,  there would be less to take care of.   Not that I don't like these, yesterday I installed Accuset 2.  But if you are thinking of cutting costs, keeping a mill a very long time with a lot of sawing just for yourself, and maybe not heading to the million bf club, walk beside using the scale and manual clutch something to consider. But remember I don't know what I am talking about.  ;D  But out on the road trying to get things done and having decent revenue to pay for the mill and its maintenance,  certainly go with big engine, super hydraulics, debarker, lubemizer, and consider also auto clutch and accuset.   P.S. Engineer you sure know how to ask a question to get everyone talking on  and on 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Our mill is outside, and on windy days, I don't want to be anywhere near the head. I'm wireless, so I just move to a non-dusty location and let it rip. Also, I want to be on the hitch end when I shut the band off so I can pull the lumber and slabs, with the remote, I'm in the right location, which is near the hitch or loader arms. I can also get near the log any time I'm feeling nostalgic for the old LT-40 manual. ;D I tried running the Super in walk run-along mode, and I don't think my energy is best spent trying to keep up with the head. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

Wireless remote woukld be nice, most times when you set up for the wind it's blowing right in your face after 15 minutes.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

With the operator seat, I sometimes sit up on the back so that I can see over a big log.  But the operator seat does confine you when the wind is blowing the wrong way.  I've actually had to stop sawing a couple of times.

For that reason, the remote station would be winning ticket.....Just move it..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!