iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer registration for road use

Started by malcolmtent, April 22, 2010, 01:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malcolmtent

I know that regulations will differ from state to state, but are you required to register a sawmill trailer in your state? I will be operating in NY primarily, but may well be buying elsewhere and hauling the mill back on a road trailer.

Chuck White

I know in NY, we're not required to register an LT40 as a trailer.
If it's primary function is to move the mill and it is part of mill it is not required to be registered.
However, there was some discussion on this subject recently, in that, if you hauled anything
on the mill, such as a log or some lumber, etc. you may very well be required to register it,
or receive a ticket for a violation of vehicle & traffic laws.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bill m

In Ma. anything that goes on the road must be registered.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

ohsoloco

I was talking to another sawyer here in PA years back who looked into it.  He claimed that you only needed to register it if it had a VIN# 

Mark Webb

In Florida we don't have to register them but we are required to have a visable slow moving vehicle sign on them.
The Lord made enough time in each day to do what we need to do "graciously".

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Mark Webb on April 22, 2010, 05:44:26 PM
but we are required to have a visable slow moving vehicle sign on them.

So that means that you aren't able to haul them faster then 25mph?

ahlkey

In Wisconsin a sawmill trailer needs to meet the requirements for lights and chains but if under 3,000 pounds no registration is required.  I would check with your local DMV as it can vary from state to state.

ohsoloco

Good luck, I tried several times to with PennDOT about my sawmill, and nobody could come up with an answer for me  :-\  Mine's stationary most of the time anyway...

Brad_S.

My understanding is the same as Chuck's.  A sawmill is a dedicated machine, like a mortar mixer or compressor, and as such does not need to be registered. But as Chuck also mentioned, carry ANYTHING on it and you will get a ticket or worse, red tagged.
In 16 years of mobile sawing, i never once had an issue with the cops regarding the mill.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

davemartin88

When I bought my mill here in Virginia, I checked with the Department of Vehicles and they told me (even have an email from them I carry with me) that I didn't need to register the mill and it was treated like a cement mixer. I was cautioned not to carry anything additional on the mill itself or it could be treated like a trailer. The mill trailer has a VIN number but didn't need it here.

jcbrotz

Quote from: ohsoloco on April 22, 2010, 09:08:43 PM
Good luck, I tried several times to with PennDOT about my sawmill, and nobody could come up with an answer for me  :-\  Mine's stationary most of the time anyway...

I was told dedicated piece of AG equiptment so no registration. I even used it once on a cop and he bought it so it might be right :o
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Thank You Sponsors!