iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Service questions

Started by jeep, April 21, 2010, 05:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeep

Sorry for all the questions guys but i swear i will stop soon lol. I was wondering what type of hydrolic fluid, and gear oil for the winch would my machine require. Also at the winch control there is a reservoir there and it has 2 lines that run to the winch. What type of fluid goes in there because it is dry and the winch wont work anymore. Also how many litres of oil does it take. It is a 4 cylinder ford engine. Man i hate being new to these things. The skidder is a 1974 tree farmer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Joel
What have i got myself in to

Mark K

Winch gearbox on my 225 tj takes brass gear lubricant. Check to see if yours requires it, some guys say if you run regular 80-90, it will chew up the brass gear. I run Hy-tran in the hydraulics because that is what is in all our farm equipement and it meets manufacture's specs. Can't help ya on the winch reservoir, mine's all one system. Someone else will surely chim in soon. Good luck
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Stephen Alford

Hey Jeep; that master cylinder in your cab has brake fluid in it. After you fill it you will probably have to bleed it.   Pull the handle up a couple times then leave it in the up position. Between the cab and winch the lines should join at the high point.  One line puts fluid to the winch the other allows it to return. Open the pressure line just to let the air out. When the fluid comes out tighten it up. You may have to repeat.  If you have some trouble getting all the air out you might try bleeding it first thing in the am as the air should go to the high point overnight .  The bad news is the fluid is going some where.  The lucky fix is take the bulb off and see if it is leaking at that elbow. Sometimes the seal is bad where the line runs into the bulb and that elbow rusts or wears. While the bulb is off check to see that the drain hole in the bottom is open.  Check the lines to the winch for chaffing. Hope you find the leak without major surgery.  Good luck   :)
logon

SwampDonkey

Hmm, a mechanic going skidder operator. :D Isn't it dryer and warmer in a shop fixing stuff? ;D  Just kidding and kicking skidder tires. We had a tree farmer on the farm for 25 years, was used when dad got it. We hauled from hardwood, potato harvester to loaded transport trucks with that machine and winch.  Don't tell me that can't haul. Hook on, and your coming.  ;D :D Dad got it from a relative that wouldn't cut enough to keep warm. Had to show'm how to cut wood. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Woodworth

The 172 Ford Industrial takes 6 quarts of oil, look at the bottom end of dipstick and check as some were marked check with engine running, if not so marked check with engine off.

The winch has 4 potential spots for fluid leakage, is there a lot of slop in the controll unit handle, if it's bone dry is a good indication that it's leaking there as it will leak constantly, if so replace the bushings and O-ring shaft seal. The Brake slave cylinder on top right of winch, the Roro seal under cover right side of winch and last the inner clutch(band) slave cylinder under main cover right side of winch.

Brake fluid for winch controll, 80-90 for gear side.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!