iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Accuset 2 upgrade, asset or expense?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, April 21, 2010, 04:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Seeking opinion on whether the purchase of Accuset 2 upgrade for my 2001 mill should be regarded as a capital improvement (improve function, extend life of sawmill) or an expense (repair/maintenance, not improving function or extending life of sawmill).  For the books/IRS purposes.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Calling all CPA's.  If I had that question, I would make a visit to my CPA.

Is your Accuset 1 broken/malfunctioning?  To me, that would be the determining factor.....but I'm not a CPA.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

its a repair/expense. the upgrade only has a value increase in your eyes but not in apraised value. kind of like you overhaul a motor for 3 grand it doesnt make your truck worth3 grand more
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

woodmills1

IRS write offs

all new equipment I choose to either treat as a 179 expense or depreciate depending on how much depreciation I already have versus how much income

replacement parts I usually treat as repairs and take the direct write off

however an upgrade like acuset 1 replaced by acuset 2 could be treated as a depreciation.  Tax wise if you took it as a 179 expense it would be the same as taking it as a repair, but if you depreciate you get to have a smaller write off over more years.  As self employed you should also pay attention to how your social security is affected.

so i guess it depends what you want at tax time

my driveway improvements last year cost 10 grand, all able to be depreciated as an improvemnt to the business operation, but that kind of work has a 15 year depreciable life.  So 10/15  not much write off but it will be protecting income untill 2026.(1/2 first and last years so 15 is really 16)

I hate, but love doing my own taxes.  BTW  I am in the federal timber tax program
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

Mary says,  you need to consult your tax preparer.   It depends on your situation.  You could go either way – one time expense or depreciation. 

Frankly,  I got tired of listening to her explanation.  (You got the short version.)

She said the best way would be to go buy a new mill with Accuset 2 already on it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

zopi

My mary (the tax preparer..) says it is a capital expense...and that you should consult your preparer about the 179 expense...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

OneWithWood

Do consult with your CPA.  There are different ways to handle the purchase and your particular situation will help determine the best avenue to take. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

flibob

I would buy it put it on and call it a repair part.  If anybody said anything the accuset 1 broke. IMO
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

woodmills1

the tax thing is bigger than that for us smaller guys

you have to make predictictions about what you bought and when you are buying something else

If you gross over 40 grand and have no write offs then each dollar over 40 cost you 33 cents in taxes and 14.5 cents in social security

47.5 cents is DanG near half what you bring in

just cause we are small does't mean we don't get to pay attention

I talk to my taxman...............it's me
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!