iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment Pressure Washer

Started by Norm, April 19, 2010, 07:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I'm looking to get a new one and was wondering if you folks had some recommendations for one.

Ironwood

With all the Ethanol issues out there go ELECTRIC, my trusty old Honda finally succumbed to the ethanol as did my Husky weed wacker today. Jets are plugging from the ethanol breaking loose multi year build ups in the fuel and carbs ::)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Norm

Most of this use would be for cleaning up my farming equipment.....

bill m

If it fits your budget get one with hot water/steam. They are much more effective in cleaning anything with grease and oil on it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

sawguy21

The little home owner electrics will not do what you want. I would suggest at least 2500 psi @ 3 gallons per minute. Alkota, Hotsy, and Landa make excellent units. As Bill suggests, a diesel fired steam unit while not cheap is the ticket for really stubborn stuff.
I remember one of my early jobs working at a farm equipment dealership repairing snowmobiles. One of my duties was cleaning equipment before it came in the shop. A pig farmer dropped off his tractor with a loader he used cleaning the barn, the only parts not covered in frozen pig manure were the steering wheel and seat. What a @#&$% mess. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ironwood

5-10 HP electric, sorry I was not more specific.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ScottAR

I'd suggest belt drive if you go engine power.  Very smooth running
and I'm told the pumps last longer not getting heated by the engine.
The 3-4 gpm is best and what really cleans stuff as much as psi.

if paint stripping buildings etc. is something you might need 3500 psi
is minimum 4000 is better with a spinning tip.  I recommend a face
shield, rubber boots, and a rain coat too.

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

We had a John Deere washer for equipment, but we don't have ethanol in our fuel. I think it was 5 HP. Electric is probably cheapest to run, "plug and go", if you can stand an additional cord to get in the road when your working from one side of that tractor to the other.  Patty's making you clean the toys now. ;) ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

I do not recommend an electric drive pressure washer. You are pretty much limited to 1.5-2 HP on 120 volts and the cords and plugs are a constant problem since you are running at max current of a standard 20 circuit. Plus the 2.5 GPM and 2000 psi limit is just not enough for cleaning big equipment.

I also do not like the steam/hot water units because they can be a maintenance problem if you do not use good softened water. You will build up calcium deposits inside the heat coils and eventually have to replace or clean the water heating coils. They do a good job though and can really blast that heavy dirt, mud, and grease off.

So my first choice is a good gas powered washer in whatever pressure you need up to 5000 psi. At the higher pressures you can strip paint and rust off of anything. If you have oil and grease or grime deposits you can connect to a hot water hose connection for better cleaning power if you need it.

I have had a 120 volt electric for years for cleaning the inside of the barn. Gas powered units are not recommended for inside of buildings because of the carbon monoxide problem. Many times I wished I had a bigger unit especially when washing equipment outside, but you have to use what you have.

But even more important is the rainsuit, boots and face shield you will need. And don't forget the face shield or you will eat some of what you wash off and not only does it not taste good, it also can contain bacteria and make you sick. Just don't expect to stay dry inside your protective gear, just clean.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sawguy21

I agree with everything Gary says except the part about hooking up to hot water. That is a quick way to  destroy the pump from over heating. The hot water/steam units have the heater after the pump.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

stonebroke

I think you can use water up to140 degrees in a regular pressure washer.

Stonebroke

Gary_C

Ya, I've been using hot water occasionally for a lot of years in my washer and no problems. I do have a Cat Pump and they are the best, at least so I hear. The specs do allow up to 140 F. and even though the hot water heater is set as high as it will go, it generally starts at 160 F and goes down fast from there. And you best get done what needs some hot water fast as it drops fairly quick.

ScottAR

I forgot to mention, a power washer is the best leaf blower ever created...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

Trouble is, some towns (thank goodness for countryside freedoms I guess) :D had to enact ordinance because they were using it to melt the yard snow bank and remove ice on the driveway when , duh, it's below freezing to begin with. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

I would go with a Hotsy if I was buyin one. We have 3 of them at work now. We've had a bunch and the Hotsy's are the most trouble free we have ever had.
Got to have hot water to get stuff really clean.
Remember, this is just my opinion and I am in no way
dissing other brands ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Well the budget was blown with the latest tool that came on a low boy so I had to settle for a cheap Lowes troy built pressure washer.

Of course the first time I pulled the field cultivator with it the hose into the svc broke and baptized it with hydraulic fluid.

Steve can I borrow just one of your hotsy's....I promise I'll return it....soon. :D

Gary_C

Really nice tool there Norm. I could find a Hotsy to clean that mess up if I could borrow that tool for just a little while. Promise I would bring it right back.  ;D ;D   And I have a lowboy too so that's no problem.  :D :D

Chris Burchfield

I have a Bluebox, Troybuilt with a Honda engine.  Two years ago, the inlet manifold, had water in it and froze and busted.  Ordered the piece online. No problem.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Don_Papenburg

I think Norm wants that pressure washer so Patty does not have to scub the toys by hand  ;D ;D

I had a hose break on the forklift while it was all the way up. Oil covered the 7710 and the machine shed. I used a half bottle of joy and a scrub brush because it works better then my pressure washer.  then I washed the tractor a week later because the stearing hose broke while i was spraying.  This time it was only the fron that needed a bath.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Norm

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on April 25, 2010, 09:28:46 AM
I think Norm wants that pressure washer so Patty does not have to scub the toys by hand  ;D ;D

Shhhhh..... :D

D._Frederick

Hey Norm,

Farming must be better in your neck of the woods than it is here!

Five gallons a minute @ 2000 psi does a good job on most things.

Norm

Hey D, it's been pretty good the last three years so instead of sending the irs a ck we are upgrading equipment.

On the flip side I just bought a new to me planter that my neighbor told me he paid the same for when he bought it new back in 1978.  :D

scsmith42

Norm, that's a nice new tool.  Tell you what, I'll let you borrow my pressure washer if you let me borrow your tractor....   :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Norm

Gee Scott between you and Gary I don't know what to say.....well yes I do NO! :D

Patty

Quote from: D._Frederick on April 25, 2010, 10:21:13 AM

Farming must be better in your neck of the woods than it is here!

Yea, Norm got tired of pulling his corn around with the dozer, so he had to buy the JD tractor.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!