iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sitka Spruce

Started by DGK, April 19, 2010, 02:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

I have been milling some Sitka Spruce from Alaska this past week and have found it to be rather difficult to mill. It has a tendency for wavy cuts if faster than slow and or near knots and blade marks if slower than than the slow cuts. Sharp blades (1 1/4 10/30 24 set) 2300 lbs. band tension. Some stringy fibres on the blade exit when cutting through grain at rift/quarter angles. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

Don't ask about the waves when quarter sawing near knots. @#<"%$#

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

SwampDonkey

Will the lumber plane out smooth or stay kind of rough? Could be severe spiral grain. When we cruises those Sitka stands of the BC coast we did a quality call on severity of spiral grain. We would look at a height between 5 and 6 meters and visualized the log sliced in 10 vertical sections the length of the log. How many sections the grain crossed was the severity of the spiral. Crossing 6 out of 10, was called a 6 obviously. I think more than 5 sections crossed was not desirable in a log. Look under the bark to see how much it twists along the grain.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DGK

I have not tried planing it yet but this stuff is quite straight compared to some of our Yukon Spruce. The slope of the grain on the worst log was at most 1" over 8", some of the logs the grain runs pretty true. I had heard that it was a difficult wood to mill from others, kind of wondering about blade options. Here's a pic of yesterday's log that was milled into an 8 by 12 by 21' beam.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Papa1stuff

Try more set (30 ) ,that may help!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Shamus

I've milled up a fair whack of sitka spruce with a circle mill (D&L Doublecut) before, and yes it was ornery. The lumber came out very fuzzy, spiral grain or otherwise, this species seems to have long fibers. I used wedges to help with the cuts, and sharpened frequently. Nice wood though, no board warpage that I can recall, made great rafters.
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

DGK

Just got off the phone with Woodmizer Blades, they suggested trying a 4 deg hook for the knottier logs and also a thicker blade. I am presently using .045" so I guess I'll have to try the .055".  Anyone else using this combo? Thanks for the replies.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

SwampDonkey

Not knowing where/how you checked the grain here:

A tree puts on layers like placing a stack of cones on top of one another representing each year of growth. Near the top of a cone the slope is faster than at the stump for instance because your looking at the end of the rings of the late wood area (darker). Thus, realize the grain on a sawed slice of board has a different slope than in a cylinder where you can see the true spiraling like a staircase following separations/checking along the wood rays and not the growth ring unless it has suffered from compression failure (brittle heart).  You will usually find an open seem or mark/wound of some sort where you can judge the spiraling by taking a 1 meter section, visualize it sliced into 10 sections and see how many sections the seem crosses. Thus, checking under the bark gives a better idea of spiral grain and be aware it is probably worse the closer to the pith in the juvenile area. Just elaborated on my previous post some.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jasperfield

Sitka Spruce is THE prime wood used for aircraft wing spars as well as most all other wooden aircraft parts.

It brings very big bucks when sawed, dried, & processed for this purpose.

Google "Aircraft Spruce & Specialty" and take a look for spruce.

Brucer

7 degree blades, 1-1/2" wide, 0.050 thick.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

barbender

Sounds like it saws like white spruce.
Too many irons in the fire

DGK

Thanks for the replies. I have some 4 deg and 7 deg saws at .045 and .055 being shipped from Woodmizer. A little experimenting will be in order. :)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

captain_crunch

I have never tried sawing it but after logging it is wood is as narly as the limbs good luck ;D ;D Swear you could drag one 10 miles down Freeway and not hurt any of the limbs >:( >:(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

backwoods sawyer

I milled up some large logs, cutting 20' 2x12. I found that the fibers of the wood were wrapping around the gullet. I set the saws up an extra .005 and that helped. The only wood that I have heard pull my little diesel down. I was running .055, 10* saws. The production mills have struggled with spruce with the heavy bandsaw's and the thin kerf edger saws as well. It has so much resistance that it over heats the saws. Frequent saw changes helped them with the spruce. Therefore, I did the same thing and changed saws every hour and a half and that help as well.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

DGK

When cutting a 21' 8 by 12 beam, the saws were heating up during the last 3 or 4 feet. This caused the blade tension to decrease and then the cuts went wavy. Fortunately, I left some wood to trim, so on the trim cut, I opened the lube wide open to cool the blade once the tension started to decrease. The blade tension stayed within limits and the cut was better.

Gonna have to get this figured out as I went and picked up another load of the Sitka today.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

fuzzybear

you also have to remember that sitka is alot denser up here.  With our shorter growing season the trees are like steel. When it's dried you have a hard time driving a nail straight.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

pineywoods

You guys that have sitka spruce available may not be aware of a high dollar niche market. There are quite a few home-built airplanes flying, many of them made from wood. Sitka spruce is the wood of choice. From a structural standpoint, the only material that is better is carbon fiber. Only bad thing is wood rots. Most wooden ladders are made from sitka spruce.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Hilltop366

It is also used for the tops of guitars and other stringed instruments.

SwampDonkey

When I cruised those west coast sitka I was told on a number of occasions the 250 foot tall ones I was wrapping d-tape around were $20,000 trees. Not as a log but the wood products from them.  DNR wouldn't let us cut most all the ones we measured, usually because of site sensitivity, slide potential and such. A lot of the time they were growing on old slide fans. ;D That was under new Forest Practices Codes, however I think those codes got overhauled since then as they were costing the industry a lot of $$ to do business. In fact it was a boom for about 4 years and then bust when the costs caught up.

DGK

Here's an update to what finally worked for me sawing the Sitka Spruce. Woodmizer sent me a few samples of the 1 1/4  7 degree in both .045 and .055. Both of the saws cut better than the 10 degree. There is a wider window between leaving blade marks from being too slow and wavy from being too fast. The deeper gullet of the 7 degree definitely removes more of the sawdust during the cut. I have increased the set to 28 thou and not sure if it really makes too much difference from the factory set. The .055 saws seem to be easier to avoid a wavy cut but are a bear to handle. I recently ordered and received a box of .045 7 degree saws for the regular sawing and will keep the .055 7 deg sharp and available for the difficult logs.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

Thank You Sponsors!