iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plumbing an LT-40 to a stationary hydrualic power pack.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 17, 2010, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I was given a 10HP power pack today, complete with tank. I'd like to plumb up the Super so that when it is stationary, I can run it off of the PP. I will also be running at least a hydraulic live deck off the PP as well. Is it really complicated to isolate the valves on the mill from the two 12VDC pumps? Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Dave,All I've ever worked with is a lt-70 electric.I assume your pump is driven by the engine with the pressure and return hoses run along the backside in that plastic channel.Some self sealing quick hyd. connectors where the hoses meet the base.Would be good form to jump between the pressure and suction hose so as not to deadhead the pump on the engine or if it has a seperate belt dissconnect,if the pump is driven electric have switch to isolate.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bibbyman

Only one hose to the valve body in and one hose out.  You'll need to take the wire off the solenoid switches to the pumps so they won't pump.

You could install some quick couplers so you can switch back and forth as needed.

Other things to consider ...  Max PSI and GPM.  You may have to regulate it down some.  I think our WM is good for 6GPM at 2000 PSI.   That's plenty fast!  Don't want to bust a gut.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

The Super uses two 12VDC pumps in the control box where Bibby's battery is. I might have to run the pump off of a VFD to get the gpm in line with the valve bank. Sounds like it is fairly easy to setup Bibbyman. I would have quick connects on it, so I could move the mill to another location, if needed.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Does your mill have a remote station (Command Control)?  or is the operator station tied to the sawhead?

I guess my question is - Is the valve body in the box with the pumps or on the Command Control stand?
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

It's in the box with the pumps. We have the wireless remote.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 18, 2010, 11:38:58 AM
I might have to run the pump off of a VFD to get the gpm in line with the valve bank.

I'd think all you'd need is a flow regulater.  The pump may already have one but maybe need adjusting.  Also,  I think the WM valve body has a flow regulator but it'd be best to check it all out before plugging it in.

The flow regulator on our unit is seen mounted on the tank just above the pump unit.  You can see the hose coming out of the pump, into the regulator and then another hose coming back out.  The regulator bleeds off pressure back into the tank.
Sawing since '94

ljmathias

Bibby: you've had that unit for some time now- looks brand new! ;)

Appreciate your chronicle on the sharpener and setter- bout to set my own up inside the barn: Cook's claw with a brand new still-in-the-crate dual tooth setter.  Too busy doing house building lately to get to it, but since I'm running low on blades and about to start cutting lumber for my oldest son's house (actually just opened up a 24" butt log this morning before I got side-tracked, like I usually do: started on the mill, filled up the bucket on the FEL with sawdust and slabs so had to take that to the burn pile where I had two 12X8" oak beams that I had cut out of a massive downed red oak that turned out to be hollow so I decided to cut them up into fire wood which meant filling and starting my medium size Stihl which hadn't been run in a while so I could.... )  Anyway, tried to cut a piece of driftwood for my son and ended up getting just a mite too close to the farthest dog- shaved it down a little but when I started cutting the pine, the blade dove all over the place, so had to replace that... so back to the rest of the story: can't set up the sharpener and setter till I finish putting away all the tools I'd accumulated at my youngest son's house which is now almost done- some caulk and a last coat of sealer on the pine siding and finished!  Turned out great- I'll take a bunch of pictures and post for anyone interested... after it stops raining here today.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Bibbyman

That's an old picture taken before I even fired it up I think.  It don't look so "pristine" now!
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!