iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hooked up and ready to bring it home (my LT30)

Started by Slingshot, April 16, 2010, 09:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

I went to Woodmizer's at Mt Vernon Missouri Tuesday and bought the LT30 they had
listed in their 'used mills for sale ads'. Mill is a 1995 model and only has 206 hours on it.
Mill had been stored in a barn since the owner stopped using it because of his health.
Woodmizer checked it outfor the owner selling it to be sure it was in good running/working condition.
Has the log deck package and 18 HP Briggs engine. Got 27 blades with it plus the spare parts packages and
extra B57 belts. Tires looked new and mill towed great for the 500 miles to my home in
Kentucky. Towed it with my Mercury Grand Marquis (gets really good gas mileage).
Think I'm going to love it.

Bibbyman

Sure looks like the LT40 we brought home from Indy in 94.  Congratulations!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Slingshot

Thanks, Bibbyman, I modified the post to include the model year--1995.
Probably same as 1994-just 4 feet shorter, but  I think 16 feet
is as long as I want to handle.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Good find slingshot, it still has the "new" shine.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ljmathias

Wow, are you in for some fun (and hard work  :D).  Even with the log package, a manual mill requires as much from you in labor as it puts out in work, so be prepared: aspirin and hot showers.  Most important: be very, very careful: it's easy to bust something pushing or pulling too hard, and what you bust can be painful and expensive to fix...  :-[  been there, done that on both the mill and my body...

Think through every action before you move anything and after a while, it becomes habit and you'll really be able to enjoy what you're doing.  And making lumber and sawdust are the best way (at least for me) to overcome the frustrations of doing  other stuff like fixing machinery that just doesn't want to be fixed.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Good for you..... 8)    Your life will never be the same...... :)   Congratulations !!!

I'm waiting for your "first log sawed" pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

captain_crunch

Looks Great am sure you will be happy.
But now the learning begins ;D ;D ;D I don't know anything about a band mill(or a heck of a lot about a circle mill yet) But Just ain't right to pull a mill with a Car got to use pick up NO matter what the cost :D :D ;D
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Slabs

How were you able to keep your eyes out of the rear view?  That's a beautiful sight.

I'd love to see that behind my Blazer.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Slingshot

Thanks all, for the comments. And I know sawmills should be pulled by pick-ups :) but this trip
was 500 miles each way and that ole' Merk is really comfortable to drive. Pulled the mill 65 MPH
most of the way. I have to say Woodmizer did good on the trailer package.
  I'll be setting it up in my mill-shed soon and make some lumber.   8)

Here is the mill in my driveway. The paint is a little faded on the bed rails but the head and mast
look like have been covered better when it was outside. I also have the vinyl covers for the
control box and engine.

-----------

sdunston

Looks good, Does a LT30 have power up-down on the head?
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

zopi

Congrats!  You'll have alot of hours of enjoyment out of that little beast...

Our other house in now on the market...with a little luck i'll have a 40 hyd, or a super follow me home soon....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Slingshot

I'd like to have all the hydraulics but for now I'll have my tractor and lifting hoists and winch
on my trolley beams in my mill shed to help me with the heavy stuff. I'm going to use some
ideas from others on here and convert the mechanical log turner on the mill to hydraulic
(or replace it) and possibly a log loader too.

sdunston; yes the LT30 does have power up/down and also power in/out for the adjustable
blade guide, along with power feed.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Congats slingshot. You are really going to enjoy that mill. Have fun making lots of sawdust.
'
Busy Beaver
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Wintergreen Mountain

Congrates!!  Nice mill Slingshot. Enjoy it.

LEON
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

captain_crunch

Slingshot
Hope you Figured out the Pick Up part was a cheap shot very nice looking mill you got there 8) 8) 8)
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Samuel

Looks good!  I bet you got some looks on the highway blowing by people in your car with a sawmill attached!   :D

Play Work Safe!
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Slingshot

Quote from: captain_crunch on April 19, 2010, 01:05:21 AM
Slingshot
Hope you Figured out the Pick Up part was a cheap shot very nice looking mill you got there 8) 8) 8)
Brian

Yeah, I knew you were only kidding.

What I noticed most was the big rigs blowing by me and seemed to slow down when got
even with the mill. :)

Chuck White

Very nice looking mill you have there Slingshot.

Won't be long and you'll be sawing some good, quality lumber with it.

Good luck to you.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trailman

Quote from: captain_crunch on April 17, 2010, 12:39:46 PM
Looks Great am sure you will be happy.
But now the learning begins ;D ;D ;D I don't know anything about a band mill(or a heck of a lot about a circle mill yet) But Just ain't right to pull a mill with a Car got to use pick up NO matter what the cost :D :D ;D
Brian
yeah, a lot of jelous pickup trucks driving around anoyed at cars stelling there work. b

scrout

Slingshot,
What is that, a FULL size mid70's Grand Marquis Brougham?  Just like the Lincolns.
Big, bad, all American Iron, gotta lov'em.
Very nice looking mill, looks new.
I agree with LJ, I spent 9 months building my manual mill, and only then realized just how heavy logs are, whew!!
If you have some grand kids around, that oxidized paint will brighten up pretty well with a good car wax, and the sawdust won't stick as much either.
Congrats.

Tronvik

I pull mine with a mercedes 240d running on cooking oil,hats of to slingshot.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

ForestMan

Beautiful mill.  What a find!  Congratulations!

Best of luck sawing.  Stay safe.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Slingshot

That Mercury is a 1989 Grand Marquis. Has the 302 (5.0)  V8 engine.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Thank You Sponsors!