Sponsors:

gearmatic #9 replacement

Started by mr T, April 16, 2010, 03:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr T

Anyone know if you can replace a 8a winch with a#9? This is on a t340 dozer

John Woodworth

Same bolt pattern, same drive.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

mr T

Thanx John its good to know these things before you buy.

mad murdock

Hey John, what are the primary differences between the 8A and the 9? besides more pulling power.The reason I am asking, is the 8A on my Garrett 15A is in need of some TLC, or a replacement.  For sure it needs to be relined on both the clutch and brake bands, and I need to do remove all of the broken of bolts that hold the clutch cover on.  I dinked with it shortly after I got it, and it worked for a couple of hours, before soething els went haywire, had been sitting around unused for a long time.  When it did work, it would practically pull thte machine over if a guy didn;t watch it.  It seemed like it had alot more pull that the JD3315 winch on the 350 I was using at the time.  I will dig into it more this summer, got to get things in better working order so's I can help my neighpr get some wood out while the prices are up a bit.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Woodworth

The najn shaft is heavier, the mdl. 8 is a very good winch and with proper care will pull with the best and is generaly used on smaller machines and are generaly gauged to the machines capacity, you don't wnat more winch  than machine. The one problem they had with mdl. 9 was on the Garrett 20 with a 353 mtr. too much machine for winch and would break mainshaft. I don't have the pullling specs. for the two but don;t think there is that much diffrence, maintain what you have, use anti-seize on the clutch adjuster cams and bolts as well as the brake band adjuster. always use 2 roto-seals when replacing, they only came with one stock.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

mad murdock

Quote from: John Woodworth on April 18, 2010, 01:32:58 PM
The najn shaft is heavier, the mdl. 8 is a very good winch and with proper care will pull with the best and is generaly used on smaller machines and are generaly gauged to the machines capacity, you don't wnat more winch  than machine. The one problem they had with mdl. 9 was on the Garrett 20 with a 353 mtr. too much machine for winch and would break mainshaft. I don't have the pullling specs. for the two but don;t think there is that much diffrence, maintain what you have, use anti-seize on the clutch adjuster cams and bolts as well as the brake band adjuster. always use 2 roto-seals when replacing, they only came with one stock.
Thanks for the info.  I will call up Don Garrett when I am ready to tear into it and get the stuff I need.  He seems to have a good supply of spares for these old machines.  I have the factory manual for the 8A.  If I am not mistaken the mdl. 8 mdl 9 mdl 19 refers to its respective pulling capacity, the 8A=8,000 lb line pull, the 9=9,000 the 19=19,000. At least I seem to remember reading that somewhere, maybe in the Gearmatic manual I have.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!