iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me venison recipe

Started by Trax, April 14, 2010, 10:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trax

I watched a show on the food network where they were cooking lamb shanks. so this year when I butchered my deer instead of cutting up the shanks for grind up, I left them whole. Yesterday I put 4 of them in a baking pan threw in a large sliced onion, 5 cloves of garlic, some basil, salt & pepper and poured some tomato sauce over the top. I covered it with foil and baked them for 1 hour at 350 and 2 more at 250. took them out of the oven let them cool down. The meat just fell off the bones, I picked all the tendons and what not out of the meat and reheated, served it on top of some pasta.  It was incredible to bad I only have 4 more shanks

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WDH

I always try to clean off all the sinew and silver skin before grinding the shanks, especially the front shanks, but that is awfull tedious.  I like you approach and will give it a try.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ErikC

I tried this as well, because of how good lamb shanks are. :) I just take the whole hing leg, cut of the shank, and make a beautiful roast with the ham. Don't take long to butcher a hindquarter this way. :D We usually eat the shank with mashed potatoes. I bet Pasta is pretty good though, next time I will probably try it that way.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Samuel

Sounds awesome...

We dries some of those shanks before and laid the salt to them...made an awesome jerky but was tough as nails to chew.  I judge how good jerky is by how sore my jaw is from eating it!   :D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Thank You Sponsors!